Showing For The First Time

Sutton

Im getting a cane corso pup in just over a month,he has full register papers. I was interested in showing him but no idea where to start. Iam in s.a

Could someone pm me if possible and help me out :(

lucious, I am sure someone from SA will pm you, but in the meantime you might want to start by reading the showring FAQs thread pinned at the top of this forum, it has a lot of the basics.

Edited by Diva

Thanks i will have a look :)

Hi,

Give DogsSA a call to see if anyone is doing handler classes........if they aren't helpful, ring the secretary's of a few All Breed Kennnel Clubs, as there maybe someone doing handling classes privately. I'm not sure if DogsSA has a website if they do have a look at this, as there should be a section What to do. Good Luck

PS Just check DogsSA website, they do have a page explaining dog shows, there is a full list of Clubs. If you have no luck with Handler classes........contact your local Obedience Club, alot of people do show and obedience, whilst you might not find someone who has your breed, the basic technique of showing is the same for most breeds

Edited by Showpony

There's a handler class run by the Rottweiler Club that we go to - it's held every first and third Thursday of the month at 8:15pm and costs $3. It's in the city. http://www.rottweilerclubsa.com.au/index.php?id=60

I am assuming other people than Rotweiler owners can come along? I have a rhodesian Ridgeback and would love to come to the session this coming Thursday 5th May. :D thanks for the info too :cheer:

And Lucious.....did you get your Cane Corso Locally?? I was looking to get one and decided on a Rhodesian Ridgeback.......I am a bit jealous :D

Edited by Diesel's Mate

There's a handler class run by the Rottweiler Club that we go to - it's held every first and third Thursday of the month at 8:15pm and costs $3. It's in the city. http://www.rottweilerclubsa.com.au/index.php?id=60

I am assuming other people than Rotweiler owners can come along? I have a rhodesian Ridgeback and would love to come to the session this coming Thursday 5th May. :p thanks for the info too :rofl:

And Lucious.....did you get your Cane Corso Locally?? I was looking to get one and decided on a Rhodesian Ridgeback.......I am a bit jealous :dancingelephant:

Oh yes it's not just for Rotweilers. I don't know where abouts in SA you are but there is a show training place up near Mt Barker too that is supposed to be pretty good from what I have heard. ;)

ETA Lucious you can come down and watch a show at the SACA grounds at Kilburn if you like, great place to watch and learn and ask questions. I will be there with a Finnish Lapphund (seen in sig.) and we are in rings 5 and 6 on Sunday which are the ones furtherest away from the SACA shop. You are most welcome to come and say hi when we aren't going in the ring, I will be with some Aussie Shepherd folk who are also friendly :dancingelephant:

Not all breeds are showing this weekend but most other weekends they are.

Edited by Tobster

Iam getting him from nsw,so not sure if i will drive or fly to pick him up yet.

He is gorgeous though,black/brindle boy.

What time sunday is it on? As i have a horse thing on but if its a bit later i can come.

Would be good to meet some showies and get some info.

The handler classes,what does that involve? Would be good to go to aswell.

I am assuming other people than Rotweiler owners can come along? I have a rhodesian Ridgeback and would love to come to the session this coming Thursday 5th May. :thumbsup: thanks for the info too :thumbsup:

And Lucious.....did you get your Cane Corso Locally?? I was looking to get one and decided on a Rhodesian Ridgeback.......I am a bit jealous :D

If you come along, I'll be there with my lappie. Will say hi. :wave:

Show on Sunday is at 9am - they're normally early. We'll be there the weekend after on Sat at 9 am for Dublin KC and that's an all breeds.

Edited by whiskedaway

We're normally done with group by lunch (around 12ish) and then show is after lunch. ;)

If you come, come and say hi. I'll have the only lappie (at the group 5 ring) and so will be pretty easy to find, and I'm normally with the Aussie Shepherd people. :D

It all seems very competative.....I just bought a lead for my pup and he doesn't hate it....it is pretty hard to teach him how to 'stack'?

I can't wait for this Thursdays Handlers lesson at Rotweiler club.....

Thanks for all of the top tips too!

:cheer::mad

It all seems very competative.....I just bought a lead for my pup and he doesn't hate it....it is pretty hard to teach him how to 'stack'?

I can't wait for this Thursdays Handlers lesson at Rotweiler club.....

Thanks for all of the top tips too!

:cheer::)

:mad Will see you there!

And stacking depends on the dog. Halo's been a little cow about it, but she's finally getting there if I stack her - no one else is allowed to though. :D

:cheer: Will see you there!

And stacking depends on the dog. Halo's been a little cow about it, but she's finally getting there if I stack her - no one else is allowed to though. :mad

Oh, and one last thing........The website says you can only enter the oval from east or north terrace but under the image map it says enter from port road? :D

And stacking depends on the dog. Halo's been a little cow about it, but she's finally getting there if I stack her - no one else is allowed to though. :mad

Oh, and one last thing........The website says you can only enter the oval from east or north terrace but under the image map it says enter from port road? :D

I enter from North Terrace - you can only do a left turn from North Terrace though. It's probably the easiest spot to enter from. Head through the intersection of North Terrace and West Terrace towards Port Road, and I'm pretty sure it's the first left turn after that - you go directly into the parking lot from there, and there's a building to the right. They collect the $3 fee under the verandah.

And stacking depends on the dog. Halo's been a little cow about it, but she's finally getting there if I stack her - no one else is allowed to though. :D

Oh, and one last thing........The website says you can only enter the oval from east or north terrace but under the image map it says enter from port road? :)

I enter from North Terrace - you can only do a left turn from North Terrace though. It's probably the easiest spot to enter from. Head through the intersection of North Terrace and West Terrace towards Port Road, and I'm pretty sure it's the first left turn after that - you go directly into the parking lot from there, and there's a building to the right. They collect the $3 fee under the verandah.

Thanks heaps!! :mad