Getting Puppy De-sexed Next Week.

kitkatswing

Little Maui is going in for the snip next Thursday morning.

I would appreciated any hints or tips on what to do afterwards to help him recover easier :)

Im not sure if I should feed him beforehand (But will ring the vet next week to find that out)..

When Akira went in, she wasn't allowed to eat after 7pm the night before. So she got her dinner and didn't have breakfast before she went in for her operation. She wasn't really hungry the night after the op (poor thing was a bit out of it).

We found with Monte, he needed lots of things to distract him for the two weeks, so lots of toys to play with, things to chew, as he was limited with what kind of exercise he could have.. We did a fair bit of basic training to keep him mentally occupied when we were home with him.

It doesn't seem to affect them greatly, its the keeping them quiet so they don't do any damage that's the hard part!

I think you'll find you won't be allowed to feed Maui prior to the surgery, we were told to stop Monte's food at a certain time the night before (this includes toys that can be eaten if destroyed) and then cut his water a couple of hours prior to dropping him off at the clinic.

Good luck!

We've had both Boof and Lilly done now, Boof is our quiet gentle giant, Lilly is our crazy, over the top, hyperactive nutter - polar opposites.

Boof was done first, he came home and didn't want to move, sooked atrosciously, we carried him into his bed and he moaned and whinged and carried on (a real male :) lol). Lilly came over to him and lay down with him and he instantly stopped sooking. He needed to go to the loo later that arve, and I had to hold him up, poor fella. But that was the end of it. He didn't eat that night, they slept in our room that night, and the next 48 hours he wasn't interested in moving, he just lay around and then on the third morning home we started VERY SHORT controlled walks with him. Slowly built up to a few a day and then slowly made them longer over the week. After a week we went back for a check up and all was good so we went back to normal and he was fine. Stitches out on day 10, healed perfectly. Thankfully he showed NO interest in licking and didn't require the elizabethan collar at all.

Lilly was next, a couple of months later. She happily walked out of the vets that afternoon the whole 30m to the car. Once home she was out to it for the night, we gave her the pain killers the vet gave us, she spent the night in our room and no meal, wasn't inerested either. The next moring, oh we were full of beens, we wanted to run, play n carry on like nothing had happened. Out came the pain killer/sedatives (can't remember name but the vet told us that the pain killer would make her sleepy, bit like mersindol or something we humans take I guess) and she spent the day rather dopey, LOL. Not at all interested in the wound (thank god). Day two wanted to carry on as well, so out came the sedatives. Day 3 we went to the vet for an inspection to see if we could start short walks and they gave us the ok, so we were doing a number of VERY SHORT controlled walks with her as well to dispel the energy. After 10 days again stitches out and ALL GOOD.

With both of them, the mental training and chews (buffalo pizzles were great as they took so long to chew) weren't enough to rid the energy completely which is why we had to go with the walk method. Obviously we checked with the vet that the wound was up to it first.

Neither of ours bothered with the licking thing at all and were collar free. My first dog though was the opposite, she was hell bent on tearing hers apart.

Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh and we weren't allowed to feed or water them after 10pm (our vet doesnt start routine surgeries until after 10am). They asked us to walk them the morning of surgery to try and help empty bowels. Worked for Lilly but not Boof, he had a yucky bum after his, LOL

When we got our little guy done. He had a bit of wheezing which we thought was just him whimpering because it was hurting (as he'd usually do it when we picked him up or he walked). But then when he started to feel better and started running around we noticed the wheezing getting worse and it causing him to cough when he got worked up.

I talked to the vet and they said it was most likely caused by them incubating him for the surgery and sometimes it can cause irritation of the airways.

After about a week it stopped. It didn't seem to affect his actions or temperament. Just something to be mindful about, I was pretty concerned when he started coughing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would give an update.

Maui went in for the surgery last Thursday morning. We picked him up again around 4:00 that afternoon. He did really well, only needed 2 stitches!

They gave us pain tablets and the elizabethen collar if we needed it. He was pretty sleeping and groggy for a couple of days. We didnt end up putting the collar on him as he was really good with leaving the stitches alone. He did lick a couple of times but we watched him constantly and got him to stop.

He managed to get one of the stiches out on Saturday, but the wound was healing really well and the vet said not to worry about it (I rang them).

He is back to his boisterous self now. But I tell you, its SOOOO hard to keep a 6 month old JRT quiet and still....

that's great to hear :D

We gave up trying to keep Emmy quiet after 5 minutes. She never once got groggy and didn't show any sign of pain. When we went to pick her up, she was running down the corridor of the vet and launched into our arms. The vet was wishing us luck on keeping her quiet! Honestly, I don't think the bimbo realise she had surgery!!

I had Stella desexed last week & same as you CW EW, went to pick her up from the vets 4 pm. The vet nurse said she should still be a bit groggy but she was as bright as a button, nearly bowled me over & licked me to death. Didn't show any signs of being in pain or anything. Opp, what Opp !!! :laugh: Even the next day carried on as normal. Will be taking her back to vets in a couple of days to get the stitches out but it has healed perfectly. She didn't try & pull the stitches out either, I thought she would.no eliz. collar on or anything. And as far as keeping her quiet, :o Well I did try but soooo difficult with a 6 mth BC who has a almost 3year old BC big brother to play with. He amazed me too though as it was as if he knew that he had to go easy with her cause while they did play it was like he was in 'gentle mode' for a while but now it is back to norm. My wild furry kids! :rofl: