What Do You Think Of The Catahoula Leopard Dog

BMAK

Having trouble attaching pics, so have to do it in separate posts. This is Layla, she is almost 12 months of age in these pics, she is a tri colour leopard patchwork. The previous pic is Lola at about 8 or 9 weeks, she is a blue leopard.

post-2307-0-49553000-1329383443_thumb.jpg

post-2307-0-92584100-1329383489_thumb.jpg

post-2307-0-53896500-1329383545_thumb.jpg

ABILENE !! :D :D :D so lovely to see you :D

Big changes in your life and dogs !!

fifi

Fifi, you remember me.... :hug: Yes many changes, I will pm you... it is so good to see a familiar face... well, a familiar name LOL.... how are your IWHs?

ABILENE !! :D :D :D so lovely to see you :D

Big changes in your life and dogs !!

fifi

Fifi, you remember me.... :hug: Yes many changes, I will pm you... it is so good to see a familiar face... well, a familiar name LOL.... how are your IWHs?

Have PM'd you too :thumbsup:

The Catahoula sounds like a dog you'd want in the country, handy and protective.

fifi

Abilene - lovely dogs!! :) And lots of interesting info.

Thankyou Persephone... they are great dogs but some days they test my patience LOL.... having border collies as a comparison definitely doesn't help either... so I try not to compare them because they are nothing like any other dog I have ever encountered... just have to love them for what they are... and unique they are. And

Persephone, I remember your name from DOL... just don't remember what dogs you have... please refresh my rusty old memory, it has been a while ;)

I remember your name from DOL... just don't remember what dogs you have... please refresh my rusty old memory, it has been a while

Farm (working) koolies & Koolie x - I live in the 'bush' , and I guess one reason I like the look of the 'Cats' is because they have a similar look to some of our dogs ;) HERE.

Catahoulas sound my sort of dog in a lot of ways .

I remember your name from DOL... just don't remember what dogs you have... please refresh my rusty old memory, it has been a while

Farm (working) koolies & Koolie x - I live in the 'bush' , and I guess one reason I like the look of the 'Cats' is because they have a similar look to some of our dogs ;) HERE.

Catahoulas sound my sort of dog in a lot of ways .

She is lovely, and I can see why you like the Cats... but believe me, you would like the Koolies trainability so much more LOL.... Yes the Koolies with their marbled and blue eyes and merle colours... great dogs, we had one many years ago that actually belonged to the neighbours and he spent more time on our property than the neighbours... when they weren't working sheep.... totally different to our working collies and the couple of kelpies we had at the time... we couldnt' let them just roam, or they would be working the stock constantly, so they were always penned when they weren't working our cattle... but this Koolie just came over to help when we were mustering :laugh: though he wasn't a super working dog, he did help out...... he was definitely better on sheep than cattle (which is understandable, given what they were bred for) but the neighbours never trained him, so I am sure he could have been better... the neighbours had sheep, we only had cattle. But I was impressed with the fact that he only worked if there were people actually moving the stock.... otherwise he left them alone and often slept on our verandah :D He didn't have the drive that ours had but he was just such a cool dog to have around that we didn't mind that he pretty much lived at our place. There is some Koolies here, that have been imported, and a club or an association for them... people dont' use them so much for working stock, but love them for agility... but most people over here don't know what they are and mistake them for a border collie X Cat or an Aussie Shep mix. Not that there are many of them, but I was only speaking to a lady not so long ago that had kelpies and koolies, some of which she has imported.

My Cats are also a little like livestock guardians, I guess because they are around the sheep and horses etc and they go and visit with the Anatolian & the Pyrenees who are usually out in the pasture with "their" sheep.... so often the Cats can be seen laying with the sheep.... on a cold day they will go and snuggle up with the sheep...but I would never have a Cat that I didn't have from a puppy... I just wouldn't trust an adult that I had not raised.... Lola has growled and barked at anyone coming into property since she was 9 weeks old... Layla took longer to take on her guarding responsibilities but started guarding my horse trailer when she was only a few months of age... I went to Montana last summer and took horses and slept in my gooseneck and never once felt unsafe with my Cats there to protect me. :)