What Do You Think Of The Catahoula Leopard Dog

BMAK

info from WIKI

Louisiana Catahoula leopard dog is an American dog breed. but i have seem them being bred in Aust nrth QLD for pigging

It is named after Catahoula Parish in the state of Louisiana in the United States.

The Catahoula is believed to have occupied North America the longest, aside from the dogs descended from Native American-created breeds. The breed is sometimes referred to as the "Catahoula Hound" or "Catahoula Leopard Hound", although it is not a true hound, but a cur. It is also called the "Catahoula Hog Dog", reflecting its traditional use in hunting wild boar.

History:

One theory as to the origins of the breed states that the Catahoula is thought to have descended from molossers (masitff type) and greyhounds, brought to Louisiana by Hernando de Soto in the 16th century.

Dogs left behind by the explorer's party were interbred by the local natives with their domestic dogs.

During the early 1900s, Teddy Roosevelt used the Catahoula when hunting. Louisiana Governor Earl K. Long had an interest in the breed and collected them. This interest was recognized by an annual competition known as Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials.

Catahoulas with black coats will appear with patches of blue or gray. Likewise, Catahoulas with red and brown coats will appear with lighter patches of red or liver. This occurrence is referred to as a leopard (merle) colored dog. The merle gene does not normally affect the entire coat of the dog, but dilutes the color only in areas that are randomly selected by the gene. White coats are visually unaffected.

Coat: Catahoula leopards have a single, short, dense coat in a variety of colors though the colors are mostly black, grey and white.

Colors:These dogs are actually solid colored dogs that have been affected by the merle gene which dilutes a normally dark coat. This merle gene combines with solid colors to create merle patterns in patches of white and colored hairs intermingled with patches of solid colors.

Black: These are leopards least affected by the merle gene but will display smaller patches of blue or gray.

Gray: Gray leopards are black where the coat has been diluted to appear gray.

Tri-color: Catahoulas with three distinct visible colors usually white, black, and gray.

Quad-color: These are Catahoulas with the varying body colorations and trim colors that help to designate the number of colors present on the dogs. Gray Catahoulas may be considered a Quad-color when White and Tan trim are included. This dog would display Black, Gray, White, usually around the neck, face, feet and tail, and Tan, which may also appear around the face and feet. Most Five colored dogs are actually misnamed Quad-colored dogs.[14]

Patchwork: These Catahoulas are predominantly white dogs with small amounts of solid and/or merle patches appearing throughout the coat. The colored patches may be black, or brown. Dilution may affect those colored patches and produce gray, blue, red, or liver coloration within them.[15]

IMG: from google

5n9ap2.jpg11gk45w.jpg

20adths.jpg puppy: 11tagb4.jpg

I saw some being advertised as pig dogs in tamworth when I was up there and I think they would be quite well suited to that purpose given their history.

From what I understand, I think they have a strong hunting instinct and are rather full on in this aspect.

I think they would probably make a good working dog in the right hands but could potentially be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Not something I would choose for a pet dog.

I think they are interesting looking though (kinda remind me of a merle lab) and the puppy is certainly very cute.

Unfortunately I can see them being prime pet shops dogs with their interesting colours, if they ever became popular in Aus. And i don't think these dogs are suitable for novice owners.

My friend wants one as a working dog on her OH parents property apparently they can be very versatile and can be used to do anything (she knows a man who owns one). I hope they dont get overly popular and end up in the wrong hands. Although they are stunning looking :cheer:

I met some when I was in Mexico. :rofl: They are very popular there as hunting and ranch dogs. One place I stayed at had a pack of them used to hunt mountain lions when they got into the Bighorn Sheep enclosure, which apparently happened on a regular basis. I was told to stay away from the hunting dogs. They were kept in kennels and weren't very friendly.

I met a couple that were either mixes or just a little odd looking on another ranch that were being used as cattle dogs. They were lovely. But then, I never met a dog on that ranch that wasn't. One of the workers took in strays and people knew about it and would dump unwanted dogs there. He would clean them up and let them join the massive pack he already had. These Catahoulas belonged to one of the caballeros, though, and were ostensibly working dogs. ACDs are also popular over there on the ranches, incidentally. The conditions are pretty harsh. The cabelleros like their tough dogs that can keep up with them riding all day through the prickly scrubby vegetation.

First one I met had the most sticking almost dark green eyes, it also have severe visions problems. They are very prone to several eye diseases. I know of several that also had hip dysplasia and it was severe, it is common in the breed. 80% of dogs with a white blazes and blue eyes are reported to be deaf in one or both ears Breeders (used to, have no idea now) cull severely in their litters for deafness and eye problems. They breed merle to merle which causes some of the eye problems and the deafness. (this was in the US).

Temperament of the dogs I knew was excellent, friendly and easy to train. I saw no aggression with either dogs or people, but the people who owned them were using them for dog sports (not huntiog) so they were well raised and socialized and may not have come directly off lines that were used for hog hunting. I really liked them.

I would be very careful if I was to get one, health checks of eyes and hearing. If not offered by the breeder, might be a good idea to pay for them yourself and if the pup fails you get your money back. I think it unlikely you could find hip scored parents, so at least raise the pup with all precautions for HD as this breed has a pretty high rate at 22% being affected (one in four dogs has hip dysplasia) and this is volunteer reporting so actual affected rate is estimated higher than that.

yes there appearance got my attention, well the puppy did on a rescue site as i have never seen anything like it !

being a rare breed in australia (as in purebred and vet exams for HD etc)

i wouldn't touch one even though they look to be very smart, pretty.

it says they are not re-noun for being aggressive on one website i found, maybe on the wish list if i ever have room for a large breed.

but i would deffinately be concerned about the merle to merle mating !!

but i havent seen a complete solid one yet.

they also carry the NBT gene.

Edited by catherine.b

One of my friends has one, it's a lovely boy and used for pig hunting along with my friends other dogs. He's such a beautiful natured goofy boy :)

A few years back I spoke to one of the original breeders in NT and she said she would never seel one of her dogs to someone in suburbia, she would only sell to those on farms, with previous experience in other strong willed and physically strong breeds.

good if you want a proper working dog, not something to keep as a backyard pet or occasional obedience dog though.

they can herd, hunt and guard. I too hope they dont become the next 'OMG SO PRETTY I WANT ONE AS A BACKYARD ORNAMENT SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE' dog

good if you want a proper working dog, not something to keep as a backyard pet or occasional obedience dog though.

they can herd, hunt and guard. I too hope they dont become the next 'OMG SO PRETTY I WANT ONE AS A BACKYARD ORNAMENT SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE' dog

x2 :thumbsup: about the SQUEEEEEEE

From a looks department, they are certainly a striking dog.

From what I've read, they have a strong hunting instinct, so should only be kept by those who can handle the breed (and allow it to use that intelligence/energy).

Totally love this breed! have met one (not sure if it is the same that RF is talking about - but cant be too many around town!) and he was STUNNING!

Could possibly be the same one - he belongs to Miller. There is anothon one though who belongs to his friend.

I love the build of the breed, but then I love any large short coated, well muscled breed :D

Totally love this breed! have met one (not sure if it is the same that RF is talking about - but cant be too many around town!) and he was STUNNING!

Could possibly be the same one - he belongs to Miller. There is anothon one though who belongs to his friend.

I love the build of the breed, but then I love any large short coated, well muscled breed :D

:D you sound like my best friend

Saw two crosses just last week. One was blue merle, the other red merle. Dane/Bull Arab/mastiff-type pigging dog crosses, only puppies but big kids! The red merle looked like she was made out of crushed velvet and just gorgeous! Seen a couple of purebreds in NZ, lovely dogs in the right hands.

These dogs make exceptional pets and as stated already are used widely in the States as hunting dogs.

They are becoming more popular in Australia in the hunting scene as bailing dogs (dogs used to find and stop pigs from running without physically holding the pig) the pig is then dispatched with a firearm.

There are very few breeders in Australia and most that are not from reputable breeders are crosses or in fact not Catahoulas at all.

As for seeing them in pet shops I doubt this will happen as their price tag would be huge in a pure form.

Predominantly white or full white dogs will have health issues.

As is the case with any dogs in the wrong hands could be undesirable.

• 9 months later...

I fell in love with Catahoulas many years ago whilst working in the USA. I have now moved from Australia and reside permanently in the US... but I miss home :(

I have Catahoulas as well as my dogs I brought over from Australia with me and working border collies as well. The Cats are an incredible breed, but definitely not for everyone... they can be extremely strong willed, very independent, stubborn at times..... their temperament can be quite unique to other breeds. They are trainable, but it takes a firm hand... I have bred, exhibited, trained dogs all my life and I still find them a challenge. My 12 week old puppy growled and lunged at me when I went to move her food bowl whilst she was eating, when she was a puppy.... I immediately grabbed her and put her on her side in a submissive position and growled at her and made her stay there until I was satisfied that she had totally submissed. She turned out a wonderful dog, but I had to re-inforce who was the pack leader periodically ... in the wrong hands they could be dangerous.

Mine have wonderful temperaments, are from health tested stock and I health test, baer deafness, eye test, hips & elbows. I will not go into genetics but to breed Cats, you really need to know what you are doing, especially because of the merle gene etc...They are often aloof with strangers, a trait of the breed, make great guard dogs, are good hunting dogs and cow dogs... I also have working border collies and Cats do not work like a border collie or kelpie... they were used to flush the cattle out of the swamps in Louisiana and they are hard biting and aggressive on cattle.... I don't use mine on cattle... I have the collies for that. Mine are great guard dogs, they will come with me when I am out riding... they are great if we go packing in the mountains with pack mules and we camp out for a week or so... the Cats guard the campsite from bears and alert us of mountain lions etc.... A Cat will defend you with his life, they are very loyal. They certainly are not the easiest dog to train and are not a yes sir - no sir dog.... they are not as popular for coon hunting (racoon hunting... just need to clarify that for those who don't know...) coz that is what it is called here in the US... not as popular as the coonhounds... the black& tans, redbone, blue ticks and walkers, plotts etc.... those breeds tend to dominate the coon hunt competitions... and most people I know who coon hunt have one of these breeds... but like the curs... the blackmouth etc, they tend to be more of an allround versatile dog... you won't get a coonhound that will be a good cow dog... (well if you do, they are few and far between).... hence the Catahoula has the nickname of the Cowboy hounddog... because of their versatility... I like the fact that they are not like a normal hound.... mine don't wander, they do not get on a scent and take off like most of the hounds do.... mine never venture far from the house. I don't allow them to chase the cattle at all... because they can be hard headed, I don't want them also deciding that they will chase the horses. Mine prefer to travel in the horse trailer with the horses (in my gooseneck) rather than on the back of the truck.... they often sleep with the horses... they are super with my little house dogs and protect them... but if a strange dog comes onto our property, and comes near me or my small house dogs, my Cats will fight... they can be very dog aggressive especially if another dog is encroaching on their territory.

One of my females when she was almost 12 months of age, was very territorial. I took her trail riding with me and a number of other people. There was also an Australian Shepherd belonging to the other people. My dog ignored the other dog until we stopped for lunch when the other dog went near me. My Cat made sure the other dog did not come near me at all. Then eventually the other people that were with me, finally convinced my Cat that they were her friends.... she ignored them at first and by the end of the day, decided that these other people were okay... so then when their Australian Shepherd tried to go to her own owners, my Cat decided that she had to guard them, she had decided that the other people also were part of her pack and the poor Australian Shepherd was not invited... and she was not playing, if I had not put her on a lead and put her in a submissive postion a number of times, she would have attacked the other dog. It wasn't a jealousy thing, it was purely a guarding instinct. So yes many of them can be dog aggressive.

I wanted a short coated dog, that liked the water, that had stock sense, that would be a guard dog, that would be enjoy running beside my horse when I went out riding, that didn't wander and have too much of a hounds nose to want to follow a scent, that wasn't overly friendly with anyone that they didn't know.... and the Catahoula is all of this and more.

post-2307-0-73117700-1329383191_thumb.jpg