Sensitive Stomach

Hi, we have a 15 month old Cavalier King Charles who has suffered since a pup with a very sensitive stomach. We have tried him on different foods as recommended by our vet and it helps for a while but does not solve the problem completely. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, can anyone recommend a good vet in Melbourne South Eastern suburbs? Not entirely happy with our vets approach to his treatment.

I have a Cavalier who cannot have chicken of any sort...cooked,raw or in kibble.

When she used to have an upset tummy, i gave her white fish and potato and mixed in some Protexin just to give her gut a rest and to line it

Hi, we have a 15 month old Cavalier King Charles who has suffered since a pup with a very sensitive stomach. We have tried him on different foods as recommended by our vet and it helps for a while but does not solve the problem completely. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, can anyone recommend a good vet in Melbourne South Eastern suburbs? Not entirely happy with our vets approach to his treatment.

I'm in Melbourne South Eastern suburbs. It is difficult to find a Vet whose only solution doesn't end with "cortisone" and "antibiotics". I've dotted around a bit and I've worked very hard and long and working through my boy's digestive issues. I seem to have similar issue to yours in that certain foods work for a while, and then everything turns downhill again.

I don't really have the answer for you but I can tell you that I expect shortly to receive a test kit from Dr Jean Dodds. Apparently she has made a breakthrough in testing for food allergies. The first level begins with the home-kit for the dog owner, then steps up to Veterinary Level, depending on the result, I presume. I don't know much about it save for that but I expect that I will soon, once it is received and I've had a chance to work it.

I am very hopeful of having it help shortcut to finding out what affects my dog as, as it stands at the moment, almost every protein source I've tried him on causes him stomach upset. Although I've tried plenty, I think to accurately try every protein source possible would take me his lifetime. I can only but let DOL readers know once I know more myself.

Our Husky has a sensitive belly - she gets the runs. We cut out anything processed except her kibble at first, which hardened her stools a bit, but she would still get sloppy stools occasionally. So then we removed ALL extra treats so she only got kibble. Same thing happened. So then I thought about the kibble and realised she's always been fed a chicken kibble. Have switched her to a Salmon based one specifically for sensitive bellies and not only is she scoffing her dinner (she's always eaten slowly so I think she likes this one) her stools have been fantastic since we changed her food two weeks ago. In the next few weeks, I'm going to add back in sardines to see if that'll upset her belly again.

thanks everyone. I think it's a process of elimination. He is on advance and that seems to be ok but not 100% right for him. The problem is that most of the time he has soft or runny stools which are sometimes covered in mucus (sorry, to much detail?) We have tried him on chicken and rice and meat and rice as suggested by the vet but that makes him worse. He doesn't normally vomit but this week he wasn't able to keep his food down and was very miserable so we went back to the vet and of course he just put Kosmo back on antibiotics which is a short term solution. We haven't tried fish so maybe that is worth a try? I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I feed my two Woolies Homebrand tuna, mackerel and sardines, along with Holistic Select Anchovy and Salmon. Mini doesn't have any food issues (aside from only wanting to eat treats) but Grumpy does. The vet put it down to a change of environment when he moved to live with me. We did the whole food trial thing and settled on this. When I couldn't get Holistic Select, I tried ProPlan but Grumpy got low grade pancreatitis (ProPlan has animal fat in it) and Mini wouldn't touch the stuff. I ended up putting them on a Royal Canin veterinary diet food, which doesn't contain meat. I still have some of this left and they get it for breakfast. I would like to put Grumpy on the Hills brain diet food but am a bit wary due to his tummy issues.

Is he also itchy?

Tummy issues and itchy skin may indicate food allergy. In which case you need to do a food trial.

I do not find advance to be good for my puppy. It may be worth switching brands. Royal canin do a nice sensitivity dry food with fish and tapioca which can also be used for a food trial (although it is ideally to to a home made food trial).

Hills Z/D may also be suitable.

Chicken is a very common food allergy.

You could try a diet of roo meat or rabbit and potato/pumpkin and see if he improves on that.

My pup had trouble on advance and responded to a change to pedigree of all brands! She is on a raw diet now though.