Pat Hastings

I went to this yesterday in Sydney and it was excellent. Definitely try and get to it if she comes back to Australia again, the info is invaluable to anyone doing agility or high level obedience, and I don't think anyone should purchase a new dog for dog sport or show without examining the dog against the structural fundamentals she explains.

I ordered the book, "Structure in Action: The Makings of a Durable Dog", hope it's as good as the seminar was for reference purposes.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I went to this yesterday in Sydney and it was excellent. Definitely try and get to it if she comes back to Australia again, the info is invaluable to anyone doing agility or high level obedience, and I don't think anyone should purchase a new dog for dog sport or show without examining the dog against the structural fundamentals she explains.

I ordered the book, "Structure in Action: The Makings of a Durable Dog", hope it's as good as the seminar was for reference purposes.

It was an great seminar and Pat is so entertaining to listen to. She has one more to do in Melbourne this week but told us after the seminar last night that she does not plan to come back down under again. :) She finds the flight too long, so those of us that saw her this time were very lucky. :)

I really enjoyed it!! I learnt so much from having her assess my little troupe of chocolate monsters :)

It has really made me reassess what I am seeing in the show ring!

Edited by ~Woofen~

I enjoyed it too - made me feel much more confident in what I already knew, and raised a few issues I had never even heard of. I've always wondered why people post movement photos in ads and profiles that show such bad movement, and I'll wonder even more now.

Thanks for bringing your babies Woofen. If I had thought you wouldn't have noticed I'd have tucked one under my arm and scurried away. So sweet!

For the Sydney workshop I rec'd a ticket but on the day they just crossed names off a list and didn't worry about tickets. Don't know if Melb would be the same.

I enjoyed it too - made me feel much more confident in what I already knew, and raised a few issues I had never even heard of. I've always wondered why people post movement photos in ads and profiles that show such bad movement, and I'll wonder even more now.

Thanks for bringing your babies Woofen. If I had thought you wouldn't have noticed I'd have tucked one under my arm and scurried away. So sweet!

Trust me I was counting to 7 the entire day. And nearly had a heart attack when I counted 6 after the assessment (someone had dragged the blankie over one of the boys who was asleep!!)

I was there too (with the brown adult dobie that has a bit to much fat on her right now :cheer: )

And yes, it was fantastic, probably one of the best seminars I have ever been to, super informative!!

I have Pat's puppy puzzle cd, that is a great learning tool.

Ignorance is bliss. I'm sad to say that some people wouldn't recognise good movement if they fell over it. Even more amazingly, some folk can't see unsoundness right in front of them. :cheer:

Poodlefan - she called the modern GSD a disaster. I thought it was brave.

No GSD debates please.

Christine Zink said the same. And still it falls on deaf ears. :)

Pat also explained the reasons for their original structure - I thought it was educational and understand better now why a good GSD is different to other dogs in the rear. Different doesn't mean wrong tho', and a lot of what we see is very wrong in that "if some is good, more must be better" kind of way. She had some great photos of dogs working to demonstrate any exceptions to the standard structure.

I'm also reading a really interesting and intelligently written book at the moment called "Gazehounds: The Search for Truth" by Constance Miller. It's out of print now I think, OH got it second hand. Great for sighthounders but useful for any breed to understand better the ways in which myths are created and maintained in dogs against the available scientific evidence and how this also works against people putting effort into better research. There's a drawing of an Afghan skeleton reproduced in it that is just wrong, that has been used over and over in breed education because it's been handed down as lore. The combination of attending the seminar and reading that book has given me the confidence to test the "experts" a lot more. One of the saddest photos Pat presented was one that had been printed (and now has mercifully been removed) in a breed standard extension!

I really enjoyed it!! I learnt so much from having her assess my little troupe of chocolate monsters :(

It has really made me reassess what I am seeing in the show ring!

Thank you for bringing your babies along to be picked to pieces. They are a lovely litter overall but with a super standout boy.

Good luck with him.

It constantly amazes me too that so few owners seem to have any idea about correct movement. The one very basic principle so many seem to miss is that in most breeds, a gaiting dog, should have the diagonal legs strike the ground at exactly the same time. This means that any photo that shows just one foot on the ground is completely wrong, no matter how much extension the dog may seem to have. At the moment of suspension, all feet will be off the ground but when they touch the ground it must be with two diagonal feet at the same time to be balanced movement.

No GSD debates please.

Christine Zink said the same. And still it falls on deaf ears. :hug:

Do you know if she is referring to the American show gsd or German showline ? Both types look very different from the original dogs but also from each other, still showing structural extremes.

No GSD debates please.

Do you know if she is referring to the American show gsd or German showline ? Both types look very different from the original dogs but also from each other, still showing structural extremes.

American show lines. However the problems she identified are here too.

Edited by poodlefan

No GSD debates please.

thanks.

No GSD debates please.

Christine Zink said the same. And still it falls on deaf ears. :clap:

thanks.

She also mentioned German show lines as having a completely different lot of structural problems to the US dogs.