Pat Hastings

I attended the Pat Hastings seminar in Yass last night.

Mrs Hastings needs to start up a cult. I'd be joining. I can't think of a better way to learn about dogs than to follow her around for a few weeks. So much knowledge, so clearly explained and topped with a clear, no nonsense approach. I learned a lot. I think pennies were dropping for many people in the room. Another friend attending said she learned more about structure in that 4.5 hours than she has in six years of talking to other breeders. :cry:

I'll be able to identify other possible cult members easily - they'll be the ones drawing imaginary lines on stacked dogs at shows for the foreseeable future I reckon. :love: Poor Howie will also be getting prodded and measured too. I'm pleased to report that he has a decent length of sternum - checked last night :wave:

I"m sorry more breeders and dog performance people won't get the opportunity to hear her in this country.

And yes, the explanation for SOME deliberate over angulation of the GSD rear assembly WAS educational.. however as she said, that doesn't mean more is more.

Edited by poodlefan
  • Like 1

I attended the Pat Hastings seminar in Yass last night.

Mrs Hastings needs to start up a cult. I'd be joining. I can't think of a better way to learn about dogs than to follow her around for a few weeks. So much knowledge, so clearly explained and topped with a clear, no nonsense approach. I learned a lot. I think pennies were dropping for many people in the room. Another friend attending said she learned more about structure in that 4.5 hours than she has in six years of talking to other breeders. :cry:

I'll be able to identify other possible cult members easily - they'll be the ones drawing imaginary lines on stacked dogs at shows for the foreseeable future I reckon. :thumbsup: Poor Howie will also be getting prodded and measured too. I'm pleased to report that he has a decent length of sternum - checked last night :love:

I"m sorry more breeders and dog performance people won't get the opportunity to hear her in this country.

And yes, the explanation for SOME deliberate over angulation of the GSD rear assembly WAS educational.. however as she said, that doesn't mean more is more.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to do both the Sydney and Yass seminars. :wave:

I just ordered this and am waiting for it to arrive! The other week I posted a thread about some resources to do with structure and physical fitness/soundness and Erny had said she had seen this book on Amazon that looked very interesting but she couldn't vouch for it herself because she had seen it. It did indeed look interesting, but I'm glad to hear that the author has had such a glowing review.

If Pat Hastings was to have another seminar, would it be of value to a complete noob? I can't wait to receive the book, I just hope I can understand the concepts. This is where I need to start hanging out at shows, I think.

Henrietta due to your last thread I bought a book and have read it throughlya nd will again. It was facinating. I was sitting there going oh yeh that makes ense, oh wow yep I can see why my dog did that etc etc. I may have to chase down some more by the sounds of it. This stuff really interests me!

Wish I could get to a seminar!

I'm really disappointed she didn't come to Adelaide - it would have been soooo interesting to hear her.

Hopefully she'll do a Dame Nellie Melba act and embark on another "farewell tour". Fingers crossed. If she comes next time, I'd travel to see her.

Dr Christine Zink is coming to Brisbane this June - she's awesome too! I travelled up there to see her last time she came.

I'm really disappointed she didn't come to Adelaide - it would have been soooo interesting to hear her.

Hopefully she'll do a Dame Nellie Melba act and embark on another "farewell tour". Fingers crossed. If she comes next time, I'd travel to see her.

Dr Christine Zink is coming to Brisbane this June - she's awesome too! I travelled up there to see her last time she came.

Hopefully if she comes again I'll be in a position to be able to travel to see her - I'm just not able to travel at the moment and getting one day off work for Melbourne Royal was hard enough!

Hopefully if she comes again I'll be in a position to be able to travel to see her - I'm just not able to travel at the moment and getting one day off work for Melbourne Royal was hard enough!

If you've not thought about buying her book, I'd think you'd get a lot out of it. :)

Henrietta due to your last thread I bought a book and have read it throughlya nd will again. It was facinating. I was sitting there going oh yeh that makes ense, oh wow yep I can see why my dog did that etc etc. I may have to chase down some more by the sounds of it. This stuff really interests me!

Wish I could get to a seminar!

Ahhh!! It arrived today. I've just got in from work. I've flicked through it very briefly and it looks awesome! I know what I'll be doing tonight curled up with a hot chocolate.

Edit - I also bought Dr Christine Zink's Peak Performance, but I'm still waiting on that.

Edited by Henrietta

Huski - I remembered seeing something on the ADAA website in the Events Calendar so I had a look and I found a linky - http://www.pads.org.au/sites/default/files/Seminar.pdf

I thoroughly enjoyed reading my new book last night. I am amazed at some of the implications of structure. For example - an undershot jaw can increase stress on the lower back in dogs that do Obedience, Agility, Retrieving etc.

Oh, and the Norwegian Lundehund that is mentioned a couple of times so far in the book is just... amazing. :eek:

Huski - I remembered seeing something on the ADAA website in the Events Calendar so I had a look and I found a linky - http://www.pads.org.au/sites/default/files/Seminar.pdf

I thoroughly enjoyed reading my new book last night. I am amazed at some of the implications of structure. For example - an undershot jaw can increase stress on the lower back in dogs that do Obedience, Agility, Retrieving etc.

Oh, and the Norwegian Lundehund that is mentioned a couple of times so far in the book is just... amazing. :eek:

Overshot or undershot jaws mean life long veterinary tooth cleaning too. :( Pet or not, I'd not want a dog with one (whether the breed standard calls for it or not)

I'd really like to see rescuers educated in structural issues too. No point in advertising young working breeds and mixes as "great agility prospects" if structually they have big issues. It happens.

Edited by poodlefan

Overshot or undershot jaws mean life long veterinary tooth cleaning too. :(Pet or not, I'd not want a dog with one (whether the breed standard calls for it or not)

I'd really like to see rescuers educated in structural issues too. No point in advertising young working breeds and mixes as "great agility prospects" if structually they have big issues. It happens.

And this is the thing PF. I am having to really reconsider some breeds that I may have been interested in for a future agility/obedience prospect. One of which I was really, really interested in. I'm really just Joe Bloe Public when it comes to this sort of thing. Lots to think about and lots to research.

I would love to rescue one day as well, but I'd need to have the knowledge to analyse a potential dog's structure. The bottom line is that, above all else, I want an active and sound companion, even if we never set foot into a sporting ring.

Edit - At least one thing is for sure, I may be able to start to interpret breed standards a bit better now.

Edited by Henrietta

Does Pat have anything to say about the removal of front dewclaws and its effects on a dog's structure?

Not at the Yass seminar Wuffles but Christine Zink recommends retention of front dew claws in sporting dogs as it assists turning. She said that removal of dew claws is effectively removal of an extra "toe" or words to that effect. Dogs also use them to grip contacts at times.

Edited by poodlefan

And this is the thing PF. I am having to really reconsider some breeds that I may have been interested in for a future agility/obedience prospect. One of which I was really, really interested in. I'm really just Joe Bloe Public when it comes to this sort of thing. Lots to think about and lots to research.

It's not just breeds Henrietta but individual pups. I regard some breeds as wholly unsuitable for competitive agility. Others you can have fun with but need to be realistic about what they can do.

Even in the most popular and competitive agility breeds there will be dogs that are structually unsuited for it.

Knowledge is certainly going to help you choose wisely.

For sure, there is lots to think about. And perhaps a lot can be said for choosing a breeder that either trains and competes with their own dogs or has had a lot of success with their dogs in other homes and knowledge of what is required within that particular breed to have a sound dog for active pursuits.

For sure, there is lots to think about. And perhaps a lot can be said for choosing a breeder that either trains and competes with their own dogs or has had a lot of success with their dogs in other homes and knowledge of what is required within that particular breed to have a sound dog for active pursuits.

Don't assume that one necessarily means the other Henrietta.. you can do a lot of things and even achieve success without turning your mind to the hows and whys of it.

I can think of popular performance breeders I'd not buy a dog from. Temperament is an issue for some.

Don't forget that for every successful dog in a litter there are usually others that don't make the cut.

Edited by poodlefan

Don't assume that one necessarily means the other Henrietta.. you can do a lot of things and even achieve success without turning your mind to the hows and whys of it.

I'm sorry PF, I'm a little slow today... do you mean people can be successful with unsound dogs or do you mean that people can breed sound dogs without actively participating in active sports? Of the latter, I am sure.

Edit - I saw your edits. I'd not be willing to compromise on temperament either. And I do take your point about performance breeders too.

Edited by Henrietta

I'm sorry PF, I'm a little slow today... do you mean people can be successful with unsound dogs or do you mean that people can breed sound dogs without actively participating in active sports? Of the latter, I am sure.

Edit - I saw your edits. I'd not be willing to compromise on temperament either. And I do take your point about performance breeders too.

Both. I can think of a few dogs over the years that have made people cringe with their jump styles as they compensate for soundness issues. I think its also possible that people can breed a few good dogs and a lot of rubbish. Most of the time you don't see all dogs from a litter in any performance event. If you breed enough dogs, you're sure to get a few good ones but that doesn't mean you know what you're doing.

A dog from performed parents would be a good start but then you've got to factor the handler in. There are some agility folk who've got themselves high drive, hair trigger working breeds and don't have the skills to train or handle them.

As I've been known to say "there's no point in having a Forumula 1 Race Car unless you can drive like Michael Schumacher".

Buy the dog you want to live with Henrietta and do what sports you can. If for some reason you can't do dog sports with that dog (as has happened to me) then you've still got a great companion. No point in buying a dog for the job if its personality is not something you'd want in a pet - and that does happen.

Edited by poodlefan