Fleas - Again!

Ok I know this has been probably done to death but my question could not be answered with a search.

I use the Sentinel Chews for my dogs and have been very happy with it thus far, affordable, easy to use etc.

BUT - we have fleas! Now I was aware that I may have to use something else to kill adult fleas as Sentinel does not so

my question is should I use say Comfortis or do I go back to using a wash weekly say Fido's?? Other suggestions please, or

reasons to or not to use said products.

Doing the usual house, yard treatments but we go out a lot.

thanks in advance! :heart:

the wash won't kill the fleas that jump on the dog use a product or tablet. and if your dog/s has fleas your problems lays inside and in your back yard that you will have to fix too.

the wash won't kill the fleas that jump on the dog use a product or tablet. and if your dog/s has fleas your problems lays inside and in your back yard that you will have to fix too.

House and yard are treated, but we go out a lot and I believe we are bringing them home so its like a merry go round LOL!

Yep that is what I belived so I won't be doubling up too much using Sentinel and Comfortis together? Anyone else do this?

Thanks BMAK.

House and yard are treated, but we go out a lot and I believe we are bringing them home so its like a merry go round LOL!

Yep that is what I belived so I won't be doubling up too much using Sentinel and Comfortis together? Anyone else do this?

Thanks BMAK.

Bolded bit is what I want to know... I use sentinal but we have a huge flea problem here at the moment and I am picking heaps of fleas off the dogs daily.. The house will be flea bombed tomorrow, but I need to do more as the poor dogs are going nutz with me along with them..

Can comfortis be used with sentinel??

I'd give the dogs a Capstar tablet each. If you lay them down on a pale coloured sheet you'll see the dead and dying fleas dropping onto the sheet.

I use Sentinel Spectrum too, been using it for years and my dogs have never had fleas but my last rescue dog was flea infested when she arrived here. I gave her a Capstar tablet shortly after she arrived because she was scratching like crazy. I couldn't believe how many fleas dropped off her and how quickly it worked.

I gave her another Capstar the following day but the first dose must have killed all fleas because no more dropped off and she was no longer scratching

The fleas can't breed in your house if your dogs are on Sentinel but I suspect they probably have to bite the dogs for the contraceptive to be effective. I didn't treat the house after the rescue girl came in and we had no further flea problems. .

Thanks BMAK.

Bolded bit is what I want to know... I use sentinal but we have a huge flea problem here at the moment and I am picking heaps of fleas off the dogs daily.. The house will be flea bombed tomorrow, but I need to do more as the poor dogs are going nutz with me along with them..

Can comfortis be used with sentinel??

Ok Vet advice - yes you can use both together (sentinel and comfortis) but you are doubling up on flea protection which is not ideal. It was suggested sentinel and a capstar plus environment treatment, or another avenue Interceptor and Comfortis together plus environment treatment.

I use Comfortis now, and its a godsend. But I dont use Sentinel so dont know if its compatible.

I have now dosed the two older dogs who are on Sentinel, with Comfortis and they look relieved! It can't be used on puppies under 14wks so I will have to use alternate treatment on puppy. Everyone has had a wash and fleas bombs today plus yard spray.

Rysup I was reading on the packet that they have not yet determined its affect on breeding males, did you have any concerns using it?

I'd give the dogs a Capstar tablet each. If you lay them down on a pale coloured sheet you'll see the dead and dying fleas dropping onto the sheet.

I use Sentinel Spectrum too, been using it for years and my dogs have never had fleas but my last rescue dog was flea infested when she arrived here. I gave her a Capstar tablet shortly after she arrived because she was scratching like crazy. I couldn't believe how many fleas dropped off her and how quickly it worked.

I gave her another Capstar the following day but the first dose must have killed all fleas because no more dropped off and she was no longer scratching

The fleas can't breed in your house if your dogs are on Sentinel but I suspect they probably have to bite the dogs for the contraceptive to be effective. I didn't treat the house after the rescue girl came in and we had no further flea problems. .

Thanks Cavnrott, I like that combination (sentinel and capstar) so might give it a go in future

I have given up on Frontline, just wasn't getting any success in totally clearing the fleas over the winter so I have moved to using diatomaceaous earth instead (looks like chalk but the diatoms are spikey unlike the coccoliths who make up the chalk) so they get into the fleas and flea eggs and dry them out. It can be used on the pets and house/yard and is much cheaper to treat, especially if you have a few dogs.