Heartworm Prevention In Dogs

Hi we are in Melbourne and are starting to find it difficult to find our current brand of

HEART WORM PREVENTION tablets.

We have 4 Schipperkes under 10kgs and currently using PROHEART. We buy a box of six tablets for the 40kg dog and divide the tablet into quarters. (I have a tablet cutter so its evenly cut.) We pay about $36 for the box.

Just wondering what others use if you have more than one dog and doesn't cost a fortune.

Who has had no side effects from the Once a year injection? How much does it cost?

Thank you

BB

Brrrrrrrrr ...... I don't think heart worms would develop to infectious stage in our very cold State at the moment.

Doesn't answer your question, sorry.

Edited by Erny

I work at two different vet clinics and one of those uses the proheart injection. I myself use the proheart as two of three Kelpies I own hate beef flavoured chews and one dog hates tableting.

I think for your size dog you'd be looking around the $90-$100 for the proheart (but that depends on your vet clinic as well)

Have you tried googling Proheart tablets online?

I just found this site

http://www.pedigreepetsupplies.com.au/shop/catalog/proheart-tablets-large-dogs-45kg-p-90.html

Edited by Everythings Shiny

I have had two vets, both of them seem well informed, tell me that you can give the 'monthly' heartworm on a bi-monthly basis and still get adequate protection. The immature heartworm has a slow lifecycle and is vulnerable for a long time . . .

One of the vets also says that many dogs can fight heartworm with natural body defenses. But I wouldn't count on that.

Both our dogs (RR & Kelpie) have the yearly Proheart jab and neither has had a reaction.

Our Kelpie just got hers Friday, and it cost $77, cant remember how much the RR's is, but no doubt slightly more....

I have had two vets, both of them seem well informed, tell me that you can give the 'monthly' heartworm on a bi-monthly basis and still get adequate protection. The immature heartworm has a slow lifecycle and is vulnerable for a long time . . .

One of the vets also says that many dogs can fight heartworm with natural body defenses. But I wouldn't count on that.

Your vet is correct - the immature parasite needs to get thru the circulatory system into the heart and lodge in the heart. If the dog has a good circulatory system (is fit and healthy) it can't lodge - if it can't lodge then it can't reproduce. They also need both sexes of the parasite to reproduce and it is common for a population to consist of a single sex. Since they need mozzies to carry them keeping those parasites under control will aslo minimize the possibilites

We use the proheart injections on our big dogs over 50kg, most of the tablets/spot on's only go upto 50kg and I refuse to use two. Then we use comfortis for fleas on the Newfie and Drontal worming tablets every 3 months.

My dog under 40kg gets Advocate and a Tapeworm tablet every 3 months.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I place the tablet into their food and supervise them while they eat just to make sure

they have eaten it. 8 times out of ten its gone so I don't really need chewable tablets.

Does anyone else use any other brands of Heart worm prevention tablets?

BB

I would never use the Proheart injections. There was a lot of problems with dogs in the US & they use the 6 mth injection. That's 6x stronger than the mthly tabs & with the 12 mth :eek:http://www.drugs.com/vet/proheart-6.html

In the instructions of the mthly tablets/chews it usually says that if the dog has the heartworm tabs regularly & you miss a dose it's ok to continue with it up to 60 days without a test.

Having a border collie I use Interseptor Spectrum.

I've got a small fluffy/hairy cross breed - she weighs just over 5kg. She's just turned 3 and had the annual vacc twice with no side effects whatsoever. I went that way as it's really hard to put anything in her mouth - except a yummy treat :( I also am getting forgetful nowadays, forget my own medicine sometimes, so didn't want to do wrong by my dog. so far, so good. that's just my experience, I know not everyone likes the idea of an annual vacc replacing a monthly pill.

I had a lhasa apso - close to 8kg - also, he had it as well and no problems. In general he didn't seem to be the healthiest dog around but none of his needles caused problems.

eta the last para.

Edited by ruffpup