Hands Up Who Has An Fx Camera.....

redangel

Oh sorry...some slr cameras are dx or fx...or in canon asp-c or fx.It relates to the size of the sensor in camera. In dx (nikon the crop factor is 1.5% as per comparision to 35mm film shot) In fx format the image is not cropped. In fx the sharpness, light sensitivity (in low light situations this is a plus)& noise factor are much improved than dx cameras. Nikon for example produce both fx and dx lenses. I am still learning Kirislin but I was just interested in discovering who is using what when I look at images here, and if possible the benefit/lack of of moving from fx to dx. In nikon d90 is dx. In canon 50d is asp-c. Nikon d700 is fx, canon 5d is fx. Apologies to the pro here: I am still trying to understand it all...trying to explain it as I understand it.

Edited by redangel

I have a crop camera. I upgraded from the 400D to the 7D, a big jump, a big learning curve that I am still going through, I wanted the faster auto focus and faster frames per second. I dont think I'll need to get another camera until I wear this one out. :laugh:

I have a d90 (crop) and i am more than happy with it...I guess im just considering whether to get a upgrade or a better lens. Being mainly cash deficient in the photography dept (real day 2 day life bills are enough for me to deal with)I have decided that I have one big photography hit to make with my cash blessing....upgrade camera or go for a $ better lens. I have been always in awe of your photos sharpness & the way you capture your whippets in movement, interesting to me then you have a crop camera...Learning curve for me about the importance of technique.

You dont need a full frame to get good shots, most of the amazing pics you see by photographers here are taken with crop and alot of them are now professionals. I know nothing about Nikons but alot of people say they're better than Canons.

Thanks for the kind words about my pics, I feel mine are very bland and amateurish compared to many here :o But I do have fun and for me that's all I am after at this stage. :D

much prefer the full frame, I am getting the pictures the way the lenses are intended, and also no get info crammed in on the sensor, and the low light abilities (I have both 5DII & D700), are useful for where I shoot indoors - I can shoot at 3200 & 6400 with more than acceptable quality at that ISO, however you do need to make sure you nail the exposure at that ISO, or the noise will still creep in. The only crop sensor I had was a 10D, and that crap above ISO 400

can't help you out with the Collingwood problem (go cats!!!!!), but you are not alone with a Nikon, me I don't have a firm affection one way or another now, having always been a Canon girl, I now have a foot in each camp, as each has its own strength and weaknesses, so I use whichever suits what I need to do (having said that, I do think currently Nikon has the upper hand on noise over Canon)

I'm on a crop here but like Kirislin, will be upgrading to the 7D in a few weeks (another crop). I would love to try a FF body just to see what the difference would be like though.

Linda - Did you have to double up on lenses for the Nikon and Canon or did you pick what lenses you thought worked best with each body and bought from there? Seems like an expensive option to have a foot in each camp! (but then again if you got the money why not!) I've also read that Nikon are ahead of Canon in terms of noise.. something I'm really tired of with my 450.

Yep Collingwood is something Ill just have to deal with. Id agree with the noise issue though. Im inclined to agree with your take on the Nikon/Canon debate. Im glad to see some Nikons peoples as so far in my neck of the woods its 4-1 in favor of Canon amongst my friends. Bet the weekend saw a smile on your face with the cats on top LindaK !

At this stage I haven't fully kitted out my Nikon how I want it, but I did offload a few of the Canon lenses I have that I just wasn't using enough to justify keeping them - on the Canon I mainly use the 50 1.4, the 85 1.8, and my faves the 70-200 & 135, for the Nikon I only have the 50 1.4 & the 85 1.4 (as I mostly just use that for the noise values, I haven't yet bought anything longer). I should probably bite the bullet and ditch the Canon & all the stuff, but haven't been able to make that final push yet

I have a full frame - the canon 5D mark ii. I upgraded from the 450D and I'm so glad I did though I do often find the limitations of the slower sensor. I would like to add to my kit with a 7D at some stage but the budget isn't close to allowing for it at the moment.

I've found it a lot sharper, but then again, the jump from the 450D to the 5D can account for part of that. I do love being able to use my lenses to their full potential and would love to be able to add more to the collection. Maybe one day :)

I'm now an occasional 5D DOP too (I shoot video on it for ads on foxtel) and I'm loving it for that! It's great because the video on it works with the same principles as the stills - ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc. Very handy! My photography knowledge has actually helped with my work :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...