Ping Pong Ball-sized Lump On Back Of Neck - Brand New

I have a 4 month old female who has suddenly developed a largish lump on the back of her neck (to one side - near her shoulder). I noticed it today. It may be from some injections she received Sunday evening, but we aren't sure. OH insists that was not the spot her injections went in (he held her, so watched it). If it is from the needles, how long should I expect it to be there?

Now, there is some background to this story. From lunchtime Sunday, Jessie had been vomiting. We were monitoring her, and after each vomit she seemed fine again. Late afternoon she fell onto her side and couldn't get up straight away (just after one of her vomits). We phoned our vet after-hours number, and took her straight in. By this time, however, she was walking fine and wagging her tail etc. We check her twice daily for ticks, so we didn't think it could be that. Her next guess was snake, but after 7 attempts to draw blood from her neck without luck, we decided to let it go. It seemed unlikely as she was so well.

The vet gave her antibiotic shot, and also anti-emetic shot. No vomiting yesterday, but today the same pattern. Vomiting several times, and 1 collapse. Felt the lump while I was patting her, and didn't notice it yesterday during tick check.

Off to vet tomorrow, I think, but want to know if injections can cause the lump in question.

No idea- but she really should be at that vet- or another one :( Poor little girl.

When did she have her vaccs?

Sometimes, an injection can cause lumps .. but best to check with teh vet .

Hope she's well again very soon :)

No idea- but she really should be at that vet- or another one :( Poor little girl.

When did she have her vaccs?

Sometimes, an injection can cause lumps .. but best to check with teh vet .

Hope she's well again very soon :)

She is due for her final injection next week. She has not left this yard, other than to the Vet's (I'm aware of Parvo etc). The vet Sunday night said she looked perfectly fine, and we felt stupid having called her in a panic 30mins before. She's running around happily, but eating quite a bit of grass, which is coming up with froth. She's not lethargic, not off her food, and seems quite alert and bright.

It is quite possible that while she was vomiting her palate may of partially blocked her trachea.

Hence the collapse.

I am not saying she has a palate problem though.

What breed is she J?

It could be a grass seed

Injection sites can cause reactions.

Is the lump hard or soft and palatable.

Is it easily moveable under the skin.

My old Bullmastiff has a small hard lump under her skin on the under side of her neck. It has been there for over a year. It doesnt cause her any problems.Not sure if it is her microchip as I havent had the area scanned.

Did a bit of a google search

If it was the injection site

A firm, non-painful lump under the skin at the site of injection:

It is not uncommon, particularly with killed vaccines containing reactive adjuvants (immune system stimulatory additives), to get a lump at the site of vaccination. Generally this lump is under the skin and can be quite mobile. Often somewhere around the size of a pea, right up to the size of a large marble, these vaccine-site-reaction lumps are comprised of a mixture of inflammatory cells (the immune system cells that attacked the injected vaccine) and scar tissue. They may stay the same size for years or can, over time (generally 2-6 weeks), reduce in size. Some will even disappear. In some breeds (e.g. poodle, bichon), these reactions can be associated with dark skin pigmentation and loss of hair at the site of the vaccine. Many veterinarians will vaccinate show dogs in discrete areas (inside the groin, under the point of the shoulder) to avoid vaccine-associated lumps or hairloss being picked up by judges at shows.

When to worry:

If the lump grows very large within the first month of vaccination (particularly if the lump is red and painful or the animal is off colour), I would advise veterinary attention. Not all vaccine lumps are typical vaccines site reactions: abscesses can occur if the vaccine was contaminated with bacteria or if bacteria from the skin was inadvertently pushed under the skin by the vaccine needle. Abscesses need veterinary attention.

Also, if the lump stays one size for ages and then, inexplicably, starts growing in size, I would definitely advise checking this. It is possible for cancers (e.g. feline vaccine associated sarcoma) to form at sites of inflammation, including vaccination inflammation. For this reason, you should make a habit of regularly palpating and noting the size of any lump present on a pet.

Over night my dog developed a tennis ball sized lump under his throat that was very hot and hard. I looked it over and couldn't see anything at all to explain it.

The vet shaved the area and found a tiny grass seed that had caused an abscess. It was immediately drained. Are you sure it's not perhaps something like that?

Not sure about the vomiting, but Kaos gets a HUGE lump when she gets vaccinated, it is amazing - and the reason i no longer vaccinate her

good luck with it all

Kei too. As a 12 week old puppy the resulting lump was the size of half a golf ball, after the 16 week vacc (given in a different area) another lump came up the size of half a tennis ball -and took 2 months to go down.

Both the 12 and 16 week vaccs were C5. Interestingly enough I never noticed a lump from the C3 the breeder gave at 6 weeks.

When it came time for the 12 month booster we did and anti-histamine injection half an hour prior then followed with a C3 only. This time no lump but I won't be vaccinating again if I can help it.

I have a 4 month old female who has suddenly developed a largish lump on the back of her neck (to one side - near her shoulder). I noticed it today. It may be from some injections she received Sunday evening, but we aren't sure. OH insists that was not the spot her injections went in (he held her, so watched it). If it is from the needles, how long should I expect it to be there?

Now, there is some background to this story. From lunchtime Sunday, Jessie had been vomiting. We were monitoring her, and after each vomit she seemed fine again. Late afternoon she fell onto her side and couldn't get up straight away (just after one of her vomits). We phoned our vet after-hours number, and took her straight in. By this time, however, she was walking fine and wagging her tail etc. We check her twice daily for ticks, so we didn't think it could be that. Her next guess was snake, but after 7 attempts to draw blood from her neck without luck, we decided to let it go. It seemed unlikely as she was so well.

The vet gave her antibiotic shot, and also anti-emetic shot. No vomiting yesterday, but today the same pattern. Vomiting several times, and 1 collapse. Felt the lump while I was patting her, and didn't notice it yesterday during tick check.Off to vet tomorrow, I think, but want to know if injections can cause the lump in question.

Yes they can.

Gee, based on that vet's treatment, I'd be looking for another vet!! Can't get blood and gives an anti-biotic injection based on what diagnosis? :confused:

The vet gave her antibiotic shot, and also anti-emetic shot. No vomiting yesterday, but today the same pattern. Vomiting several times, and 1 collapse. Felt the lump while I was patting her, and didn't notice it yesterday during tick check.Off to vet tomorrow, I think, but want to know if injections can cause the lump in question.

Yes they can.

Gee, based on that vet's treatment, I'd be looking for another vet!! Can't get blood and gives an anti-biotic injection based on what diagnosis? :confused:

I agree.

Why make that many atempts to get blood from a neck vein when the leg vein would be much easier.

Why make that many atempts to get blood from a neck vein when the leg vein would be much easier.

:offtopic: I am finding the trend with numerous Vets is to go straight to the neck for blood. I thought getting blood from the neck was in general, easier??

I agree with the previous comments - injected the dog based on what prognosis. I've commented before on so many "just in case's" occurring. I know that in some instances this could be justified. But it is not an infrequent occurrence.

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. We saw the vet this morning, and he said the lump is from the injections.

The female vet we saw a/hrs isn't the regular vet we see. There are 4 of them at the practice, and she was rostered on for a/hr duty. Regarding the blood drawing...I held Jessie for the first couple of attempts, but I was getting just as upset as poor Jessie was, so I left the room and had OH hold her for the other attempts. I asked her about trying the leg, and she said the veins would be too small (she's a pup) and she'd have more luck getting a vein in the neck.

Antibiotic injection...that puzzled me a little, but went with her advice on it. As she wasn't really sure what was causing Jessie's vomiting, I guess she just wanted to cover all bases.

We haven't seen her collapse in the last day or two, which is good news. She had a vomit on the way to the vet (about 10mins drive away) so I'm not sure if it was related to the other vomiting or if it was due to the car ride. Does it normally have to be a long car drive for dogs with car sickness?

Anyway, thanks again all.