Grade 1 Heart Murmur

Hi does any one have any exp with a slight heart murmur. Just found out today. My girl was seen last sept and there was nothing and today she went in to get teeth cleaned and we found out she has a murmur and some fungal thingy on her tonsils !! antibiotics for a month and just to keep a watch for the murmur . :o I was so upset , the vet said not to worry that it may never change and if it does there is great meds to control it. :o My poor girl. Any thoughts????? :eek:

I wouldn't worry. Lots of the dogs we do surgery on have heart murmurs (some even have fairly severe ones) and they all seem to cope fine. A grade 1 is very mild and it may just be due to her illness.

My chi has had one for a while, he's probably due for a checkup actually, vet just said to keep an eye on it he's 7 nearly 8 and the only noticeable difference is that he pants a little more when exerted than he used to. He did have a bout of pancreatitis last year that may or may not have been caused by it the vet couldn't really say.

Long story short don't panic heaps of dogs have them mine isn't on meds yet and his was diagnosed about 2 years ago.

My girl had a grade 1 murmur at 7 weeks. Vet thought it may fix itself but it didn't. At twelve months I took her to have a Doppler ultrasound, which showed a mild murmur and some constriction in blood flow to the heart.. The last check up vet couldn't hear a murmur. She is very lean and fit and has no restriction on her activities. In old age she may develop some problems.

Edited by Jigsaw

a vet found my girl had a low grad murmur at about 6 weeks old. We still wanted her. Our vet sent us off to a cardiologist just to keep an eye on things. She actually has a sinus arrest arrhythmia. We have been back twice (we're due to go back when she's 1- 1 1/2) and each time it's happening less and less. It's most likely she will grow out of it. We just had to make sure our vets were aware in case of needing to be under anesthetics. Doesn't bother her at all- she still does everything normally.

Hi does any one have any exp with a slight heart murmur. Just found out today. My girl was seen last sept and there was nothing and today she went in to get teeth cleaned and we found out she has a murmur and some fungal thingy on her tonsils !! antibiotics for a month and just to keep a watch for the murmur . :o I was so upset , the vet said not to worry that it may never change and if it does there is great meds to control it. :o My poor girl. Any thoughts????? :eek:

Sorry for asking - but what are the antibiotics for?

Dagmar

Dagmar

She has a low grade infection on her tonsils

Dagmar

She has a low grade infection on her tonsils

Didn't you say it was a fungal infection on her tonsils? Antibiotics wont help here, they could actually make it worse... That is what worries me a bit.

Maybe check with the vet again, if she should not better be on an anti-fungal medication?