Dr Jean Dodds - New "food Intolerance Test Kit"

I have received the test kit. I need to collect the saliva sample. All pretty simple but what I can't seem to find out is whether your dog has to fast for any period of time prior to collecting the saliva sample.

Anyone know?

I've emailed Dr Jean but it is nearly 9pm over there at the moment. This is the first full day off I've had to be able to run errands and catch up on things like this in the last few weeks, so I really wanted to do it today. I need to get to the Fed-Ex drop-off point with the sample by about 5pm.

If I can't find the answer I will of course wait, but it just throws a spanner in my plans for today so I've been trying to find out some other way.

Yes - I got the test from Hemopet (Dr Jean Dodds).

Dr Dodds' trial fee is $55.00

It will cost me about $70.00 to send it via Fed Ex

I will definitely be telling on DOL how things went - I'm not yet sure it is going to tell me a lot though, as it seems it doesn't (yet) test for every possible protein.

Thanks JulesP - you're probably right. It is logical not to have him eat right when I'm doing or about to do the test and I'm thinking that's what Dr Dodds would tell me. I just don't want to go to the time, trouble (driving over to the Fed-Ex drop off point) and expense to find out I did it wrong and that the results aren't reliable.

I'm waiting until the end of the year when they add 14 more items to the test.

There's nothing about witholding in her emails to me.

Edited by MEH

I'm waiting until the end of the year when they add 14 more items to the test.

There's nothing about witholding in her emails to me.

Didn't know they were going to do that (figured they'd expand, but didn't know how soon). I think I'll still proceed with this one. Chances are the next will be more expensive and maybe our Aussie dollar won't be worth what it is now, so I might not stand to be that much more out of pocket for it.

I think it's half an hour for genetech.... So I would certainly wait the hour or more.

Thanks - I couldn't get an answer and ran out of time, so I didn't do it. I'll try to get it done tomorrow now (after I've come from the Dentist :eek::scared: )

Edited by Erny

Dr Jean's answer to my email (bless her - she never does take long to respond) :

"As long as his mouth is rinsed clean (i.e. he drank water after eating), it doesn’t matter. "

So, you guys were right, but I didn't chance it. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Thanks for your help regardless :).

Erny

Will be very interested in how you both go with the results Erny and MEH.

My little Stafford girl is 12 now and I have her stable but I would pay the money just to *know* what it is that sets her off! My guess is it will be more than 1 protein.

Will be very interested in how you both go with the results Erny and MEH.

My little Stafford girl is 12 now and I have her stable but I would pay the money just to *know* what it is that sets her off! My guess is it will be more than 1 protein.

Usually is the case, dogs are never simple :laugh:

With Mandela, I will be surprised if ANY protein is okay for him.

I've taken the sample and it's all packed up and ready to go. Will be dropping to the Fed-Ex drop off point this afternoon. It's only then a matter of waiting for the results.

Sounds interesting, let us know how it goes! Do you know how the test is supposed to work? Is it detecting IgA in the saliva?

I'm pretty sure that's right, Staranais. I know I read something like that on it - it was a one sentence line at the end of one of the info sheets I've read, but now I can't find where I saw it. There's something about not only being able to tell you what your dog is sensitive to now, but also later .... or something like that.

I sent it off today. Unfortunately I missed the last Fed-Ex run which means it won't leave Fed-Ex Melbourne until Monday. I don't know what the 'holding' period is before the saliva sample becomes nonviable. I hope it lasts long enough to arrive and be tested. I held the rope in his mouth for longer than the prescribed 2 minutes and waived a piece of cheese in front of his nose to promote the production of saliva, to make the rope nice and sloppy. So hopefully all is good :).

I gave the piece of cheese to him afterwards - how could I not??? Hopefully it won't cause an upset.

All going well I should have the results inside 3 weeks (making allowance for 1 week of that being taken up in the delivery of the saliva sample to the USA).

Edited by Erny

I am also VERY interested in this test and the results. Is there a link anyone could give me to read up on this please :)

X2!!! I cant wait to see what the results are Erny :) How is your boy at the moment??? I think about you two quite often (coz Mandela being a RR and all :o )

Had a look at this out of interest. Curious.

As the test is only for allergy to 6 foods & only 1 is meat is it not as easy to just not give your dog any of these 6 foods, which are not essential to the diet anyway, for 2 weeks to see if they improve.

Then if they do introduce one of the suspect foods at the rate of one a week if you feel they must have it, to see if there is a reaction.