Peanutt Butter

Every dog I've ever owned loves peanut butter. I just gave Bonza about a quarter of a teaspoon of a natural peanut butter (all peanuts, quite oily) and then counted. Her tongue went in and out more than 20 times. The streak from the peanut butter remained visible, but faded gradually.

Odd! I can scarf a teaspoon of the same stuff and my tongue goes clean right away.

We all know dog eating is a lot different from human eating . . . but I'm curious about why it takes so long for them to get peanut butter down.

Guest english.ivy

They have a different working tongue to us, as in they can't use their tongue to get the PB stuck around their teeth like we can?

She loves it.

20 licks to get it off the tongue . . . but put it on her nose and she goes for an hour. Better 'n a kong. Ok, it's mean :). . . but it sure is funny.

LOL, I bet it was funny to watch. Did she like it or find it annoying?

Peanut Butter is great for putting tablets in, once the tablet is in the mouth it doesnt come back out.

Oh my God! I'm definitely going to try that! Our 16yo dog has to have a tablet each morning for his arthritis and he will literally sniff it out of anything we put it in and not eat it, we can't shove it down his throat because he wont let us get near his mouth (I'm am quite good at getting tablets down the throat but with him it is IMPOSSIBLE) he squirms and pulls away and bites... so if he wont take the tablet then unfortunately he doesnt get the tablet that day!!!! I spent about half an hour with him yesterday trying to get him to take it!!!

I will definitely try the peanut butter! hopefully it works!!!

Peanut Butter is great for putting tablets in, once the tablet is in the mouth it doesnt come back out.

Yep, vote here for peanut butter and tablets, I have one who has found tablets in everything, and will eat around it then spit it out, put it in peanut butter = no dramas.

Not just pill coating, p'nut butter is great bait for rat or mouse traps. I keep a separate jar of the stuff for dog use and bait (as someone else pointed out in another thread, you can entertain a dog for hours by putting a little peanut butter at the bottom of a plastic jar or jug) and one for people. That's so I can use fingers to scoop from the animal jar.;)

One of our cocker spaniels when I was a kid adored peanut butter. As a kid I thought it hysterical the way she tried to eat it. It was like it was stuck on the roof of her mouth and she tried to suck it off with her tongue! My current dog likes it but isn't mad for it, she prefers cream cheese! Peanut butter works much better in mousetraps than cheese!

Its about the dog's digestive system. In humans we have enzymes that start to work in our mouths - dogs dont.

I paint it on a fence post and while they are licking it I can do what I want at the back end without them noticing as much what Im doing Keeps em standing still. :rofl:

My 2 girls love it too. OUr youngest wasn't interested in Kongs until we got onto the peanut butter.

Our old Stafford, who is absolutely food obsessd and I've never seen her turn down any food ever, pulls the funniest face if you offer her peanut butter to lick off your finger or a spoon. She scrunches up her face, pulls her head away fast and backs away, very much Get that away from me! Yet when she realises what it is she's into it the same as any food. She's straight into it in a kong, just if you offer it to her! It's so strange to see her react to food that way, she's all about eat now worry about what it was later!

Slightly evil in a good way. Go for it :). Most dogs have a sense of humor.

Btw, the more runny the peanut butter is, the more it spreads out on the dog's tongue, and the funnier the reaction. Highly processes peanut butter is less amusing than the 'all natural' type that separates.

After reading this thread, is it now wrong (and perhaps slightly evil) of me to want to give Lotta some peanut butter just to watch what happens...? rofl1.gif

Edited by sandgrubber