Aggression In Bc Due To Hormones?

Hi,

Just a query from you experts out there, as there is alot of theories going around the local dog park.

A guy who walks his BC at the lead free park is in denial about the growing aggression his dog is showing. The BC is 18 months and NOT desexed. He was fine as a pup and played great with the other dogs.

Lately he starts fight with other males (unprovoked). I thought it might be that he is not de-sexed, as we had a dog that did this before we had him "done". The BC dog has more recently bit both his owner (admittedly while stopping a fight), then last week bit and tore off a ladies skin around thumb that required surgery. Everyone said please keep him on lead but owner didn't listen. Council has been informed.

Some people are saying that it is not a hormone issue and that the dog is aggressive, and once they have 'tasted human blood' they will continue to attack even if desexed. i find this hard to swallow. What do you think????

Some people are saying that it is not a hormone issue and that the dog is aggressive, and once they have 'tasted human blood' they will continue to attack even if desexed. i find this hard to swallow. What do you think???

It's not the taste of human blood it's the reward from exhibiting the behaviour. If he learns to aggress to get what he wants he will keep doing it.

Sounds like balls out may not be a bad start but needs a good behaviourist too.

He may not actually be starting the fights, can you read the body language? Although he could be 'finishing" them.

We have a young entire male bc/mal around here, who was fine, but now other dogs are seeing him as a threat, and he is getting into fights :(

Perhaps suggest to him that other dogs are no longer giving him the "puppy ' leeway anymore, and see him differently.

He may not actually be starting the fights, can you read the body language? Although he could be 'finishing" them.

We have a young entire male bc/mal around here, who was fine, but now other dogs are seeing him as a threat, and he is getting into fights :(

Perhaps suggest to him that other dogs are no longer giving him the "puppy ' leeway anymore, and see him differently.

That seems to make a bit of sense, but the lady and her older female dog were just minding their own biz and he went and grabbed "attacked" the lady. Its really sad, such a nice dog now seems psycho. Neckbet you might be right about the behaviourist and training, but the owner is a bit of a hippie and currently he doesn't even take on board others calls to leash the dog. I hold grave fears for the dog.

Anyways thanks for the insight, I thought the "human blood" thing was a bit rich.

Some people are saying that it is not a hormone issue and that the dog is aggressive, and once they have 'tasted human blood' they will continue to attack even if desexed. i find this hard to swallow. What do you think???

It's not the taste of human blood it's the reward from exhibiting the behaviour. If he learns to aggress to get what he wants he will keep doing it.

+1

It may what we call learned behaviour.

Always remember we have people problems not usually dog problems.

The owner needs to severely correct the dog.

I know this guy is clearely in denail but you could suggest k9 pro? (I havent read other responses yet)

I know this guy is clearely in denail but you could suggest k9 pro? (I havent read other responses yet)

Are they in Newcastle?