Ball Obsession?

Hi Guys

I have a 6 year old male LabxMalamute named Kobe. If you can't picture the combination - he has the malamute fur length and curled tail and size, but is yellow like a Lab. A big giant fluffy teddy :)

The problem, however, is his obsession with tennis balls. I can't recall a SINGLE time in the last 4 or 5 years when we've been able to go out the back and just pat him, or sit with him. My old dog who is now passed would spend hours sitting/lying by our side or just hanging out for a cuddle and pat and a chat. The second Kobe sees you near the door, he runs to get a tennis ball. There's half a dozen strewn around the backyard at any one time, and he'll grab whichever he prefers at the time and run back to you.

Every moment is SUPER hyperactive. He bounces and jumps and SPRINTS everywhere, all the while looking very hyped up and the furthest thing from calm. He will play ball ALL DAY if someone would keep throwing it, it's amazing.

I'm wondering however, if his obsession and excitedness is unhealthy. It almost seems like an anxiety reaction (although not negative as such), but all I want is a normal dog who I can go out the back and chill out with. Sit down with him, have a hug, pat, BRUSH HIM without him moving - all of that stuff. And then playing ball as an extra possibility, if I decide to.

He is just ALL. ABOUT. BALL. It's kind of saddening to us, to be honest, because we want to go and spend time with our dog and have him be a companion but he constantly has a ball in his mouth or if he's dropped it in front of you, will bark and grumble until you throw it or leave.

Any tips? We're bad owners for not training him properly as a puppy, I know, but I really hope there's something we can do to just have a NORMAL dog!

The first thing I'd do is remove every single tennis ball from the back yard.

How much training and exercise does he get outside the yard?

I've just removed all the balls from the back yard this afternoon.

That's another problem - unfortunately not much. We used to walk him daily but as he got bigger, he was just too much. His over-excitement is ridiculous. He lunges at other dogs nearby, not aggressively, but excitedly and will bark and whine, but to a stranger all they see is a big dog and it frightens them. We want SO desperately to just be able to have a happy dog that we can walk normally and take to the park to throw a stick or whatever, but there's the worry that he'll either run away (he doesn't come back) or go for another dog. He's gotten in growling/slightly aggressive incidents with a couple of dogs on occasion, but it always seems to be just excitement to meet them at first, then they both get their backs up.

We're terrible owners :( :(

Sounds like you have a collection of issues and might use some professional help. Hopefully someone here can recommend someone good in your area.

My old dog was obsessive with toys too, although possibly not as obsessive as yours sounds. I used that obsession to train a stellar recall, among other things. So, there is hope. :)

The first thing I'd do is remove every single tennis ball from the back yard.

How much training and exercise does he get outside the yard?

I've just removed all the balls from the back yard this afternoon.

That's another problem - unfortunately not much. We used to walk him daily but as he got bigger, he was just too much. His over-excitement is ridiculous. He lunges at other dogs nearby, not aggressively, but excitedly and will bark and whine, but to a stranger all they see is a big dog and it frightens them. We want SO desperately to just be able to have a happy dog that we can walk normally and take to the park to throw a stick or whatever, but there's the worry that he'll either run away (he doesn't come back) or go for another dog. He's gotten in growling/slightly aggressive incidents with a couple of dogs on occasion, but it always seems to be just excitement to meet them at first, then they both get their backs up.

We're terrible owners :( :(

Nope, just owners who need some help to train the dog they want. Folk have recommended good trainers/behaviourists for Perth before. Call one ASAP.

Lack of exercise would explain the obsessive behaviour - those balls are the only outlet he has for it. If you're removing those, he'll need others.

Does he get big meaty bones to chew?? How about a huge cardboard box he can 'kill' ?? There are lots of ideas on this forum for boredom busting but he needs exercise too - and lots of it.

Edited by poodlefan

Sounds like you have a collection of issues and might use some professional help. Hopefully someone here can recommend someone good in your area.

My old dog was obsessive with toys too, although possibly not as obsessive as yours sounds. I used that obsession to train a stellar recall, among other things. So, there is hope. :)

I think we do, yes.

Thanks for being so nice, I'm aware that a large majority of people on here are amazing at training their dogs etc and I just scream "terrible owner" for not training him properly in the beginning. Have definitely learnt my lesson and will implement all of these things from day 1 with any future dogs.

Have definitely learnt my lesson and will implement all of these things from day 1 with any future dogs.

But first, with your current one :).

You'll need help from a trainer, but it sounds to me that you will very much be able to use your dog's ball obsession to assist you not only with training for obedience (which in part will assist with mental stimulation) but also with the issues you have in walking him outside of your home.

You could try a dog club though I'm not sure I'd take the dog for your first visit if he's too strong.

Definitely use the ball obsession to get what you want. Ie dog does what you want, you reward him with a ball throw. Dog doesn't do what you want, you put the ball away. Google "premack principle"

Dol Threads on perth trainers

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=perth+trainers+site%3Awww.dolforums.com.au&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=G8bcTYGAPJKesQOR0LWXBw

or ones from the past year

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=perth+trainers+site%3Awww.dolforums.com.au&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-au%3AIE-SearchBox&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=,qdr:y

Also investigate clicker training. You probably could use the ball instead of a treat, but get him to take a treat and his reward for taking the treat is ... the ball. So you transfer some of the value he has for the ball to the treat and to working with you.

http://www.clickandtreat.com/Clicker_Training/clicker_training.html

And when you finally have the great recall and loose lead walking - investigate the sport of flyball...

Thanks for replying everybody.

The only thread I've found on here about training in Perth, is Kathy or maybe Paw Prints Training.

Any other recommendations? :)

Kathy is excellent as is Danielle from K9PositiveWorks. Both are well qualified, very expirenced and friendly. Maybe a session with one of those ladies is a good starting point then joining a dog club once you work on some of the bigger issues.

There is no flyball in WA (which would be perfect for you boy!) but there is a dog club in Northern Suburbs that does training on the weekend and you can progress to agility there too. I have never been to the club but a few DOLers go and love it there.

Also with the future dogs you refer to - if you are going to have them at the same time as Kobe I would try and get a hold on any issues first in case he teaches the pup his bad habits. Would love to see a picture of Kobe! He sounds cute :) Also in the general section is a WA thread so you should come introduce yourself there. :thumbsup:

investigate the sport of flyball...

There is no flyball in WA (which would be perfect for you boy!)

Yeah I've heard/read about Flyball and also discovered there's no club in WA, booooo!

Not to worry, apart from flyball Perth seems to be where it's all at in terms of dog sports. If he is a ball nut (and he is almost certainly part retriever) then retrieving might be his thing. Disc dog would be another good one.

gorgeous doggy!

and I agree, professional one on one training and then go to a dog club to get some of his energy off. He is not too old to learn.

Agree take all balls away from him but still throw them to him but put away after the game, they are now your toys!

With alot of hard work but very rewarding you will have the loving companion that you want :)

Agree take all balls away from him but still throw them to him but put away after the game, they are now your toys!

No offence, Onsntillnflash and others who might have suggested it, but I wouldn't do this until the OP can start a new regime where s/he is able to provide mental stimulation through training. These can and should include obedience training, but also tricks; being able to go outside of the yard; and subject to improvement plus trainer/behaviourist recommendation, sports.

But if the tennis balls are the most of what this dog has (from his pov) for entertainment at the moment, to remove them might only provoke him to manefesting mental boredom in some other undesirable hobby.

One thing you can do now though, whilst you are waiting for your trainer/behaviourist appointment, is get your dog to do something for you before you throw ball for him. That will at least be a basic start in the right direction.

Edited by Erny

No offence, Onsntillnflash and others who might have suggested it, but I wouldn't do this until the OP can start a new regime where s/he is able to provide mental stimulation through training. These can and should include obedience training, but also tricks; being able to go outside of the yard; and subject to improvement plus trainer/behaviourist recommendation, sports.

But if the tennis balls are the most of what this dog has (from his pov) for entertainment at the moment, to remove them might only provoke him to manefesting mental boredom in some other undesirable hobby.

One thing you can do now though, whilst you are waiting for your trainer/behaviourist appointment, is get your dog to do something for you before you throw ball for him. That will at least be a basic start in the right direction.

oh okay I see your point. I was actually trying to think of something else that could stimulate the dog's mind rather than the balls but coudn't think of anything that he wouldn't become obsessed with too. Any suggestions Erny? maybe a rope toy or something?