Desexing Question

ok, i would like to know when do you desex or when you did do it and why?

Is there anyone that does dog sports (for fun, not professional) who desexed their dog by 6 months and did it hinder or hurt them to be done that early?

also is there anyone that has desexed more than 1 dog and at diff times and noticed a difference in behaviour/maturing?

im leaning towards desexing my girl at 6 months, cause its what i have learned and when its done :shrug:

im not to keen on having her have her first heat either

health wise is it bad to get her done at 6 months if im going to do some agility with her? (for fun only) also is it true that she will be puppy like in the head if done that early for longer than if allowed to mature more first?

my baby is a 4 month old Koolie :)

Edited by dandybrush

Ava was desexed at 11 months. I would have waited longer but didn't have the facilities to keep her safe if she came into heat. Your breeder should know when her mum and her lines in general had their first seasons and she is likely to be similar.

I spayed Ruby a Kelpie at 7 months after her first heat. I wouldve done her before but she came on heat earlier than the breeder expected. She works the cows and I also do agility with her (when I get a chance). She has got plenty of drive and go in her and I dont think being spayed has lessened her drive. The Kelpie 'Bo' I had before her was spayed before her first heat and did not have the same drive as Ruby, but I think that has more to do with her temperment and breeding than spaying. I spayed my GSD Juste after she had had two litters, I think she was about 5yrs, It didnt change her at all. I did a lot of sucessful agility with her.

Hi dandybrush,

I have noticed no changes with Stella so far after her being desexed but as you know she has only just been done recently. Sonny had done at 6 mths also & I have noticed his body shape did change slightly, a little more heavy set

if that makes sense & it did quieten him down a little. I have owned a number of other dogs in the past, another BC 'Candy',in particular, she was desexed after 1 litter, no change at all & she was a very high drive girl. An ACD

girl desexed at 6 mths, body shape change slightly but no change to drive, still tried to rounded up everybody all the time, :laugh:

The breeder that breed Stella did say to me that will make no difference to her at all if I had of waited till after she had her first season. And me not having the facilities to accomodate her during this time,in a pretty heavily

populated dog area. Just wasn't prepared to run the risk of anything happening to her either. The vet also said the same thing to me so I went with their knowledgeable advice.

Totally understand your concerns though, they are just still babies at 6 mths aren't they? As you know I was really worried about it but Stella flew through the whole ordeal like nothing happened. The hardest part was keeping her

quiet for 10 days, she just wanted to run around even the next day. LOL

The issue with desexing and dog sports isn't about losing drive... it is about letting them mature so that their bones and joints grow at the correct rate. There are some studies which say there is a higher risk of hip dysplasia and ligament ruptures in dogs desexed young.

For what it's worth, Ava has not grown much at all since being desexed - her body shape has changed slightly, she lost puppy chub and became leaner and more muscular. Personality wise, she did calm down but that is most likely due to age rather than anything else. No difference in her enthusiasm for training either - if anything I would say it has improved (once again, due to an increased bond with me rather than desexing).

dandy, it's about what YOU feel comfortable about :) Read up on all the pros/cons of desexing at different ages - there is a fair bit out there. Make a decision based on that then try not to feel guilty about it - we all try to do the best thing by our dogs and that's what ultimately matters most. Our attitude was that we did not have facilities to handle her in heat, but if she HAD come in earlier than expected, we would have dealt with it - either kenneling or crating.

thanx bccrazy, kelpiekaye, wuffles and rebelsquest

regarding her safety i could crate her when im at work, that shouldnt be a problem, however if entire males did come sniffing my older boy could end up in trouble...if they jumped into his yard, i would hate for him to be attacked :( (i dunno the chances of that :shrug: )

bccrazy :laugh: as for your boy being quiet since desexing :laugh: my boy was done at 4.5 months, i didnt notice a change in body shape, razzle is a thin boy and nope it didnt quieten him down :laugh:

hmm yes keeping quiet will be a challenge...

thanx wuffles i am aware it is to do with her bones fully developing :thumbsup: that said, my boy has a joint that clicks (could be from a sprain as a pup :shrug: ) and he has stiff hocks...not sure if desexing him early contributed or if my playing too much or if he would have them anyway :shrug:

but there is no way of knowing if willow is done early if she will have any issues at all really :shrug:

Edited by dandybrush