Dogs And Thunder

HazyWal

One of mine gets very stressed but as long as he has a 'safe place' he's quite happy. Most of the time that safe place is under a computer desk but sometimes he'll curl up in the crate or between the lounge and the coffee table. I don't completely ignore him - I talk to him in an 'I know it's scary but it's nothing to worry about' way (for example a quick pat then going about my business as usual).

My other dog couldn't care less about storms. At first we were worried she would copy our scaredy cat (as she's grown up with him since she was a pup) but she doesn't. She usually just goes and lies near him. I do think having her there is a comfort for him.

Depending why the dog is scared i.e. Noise vs Static you could try one of these methods

Thunder Shirt available in Australia

22172_1.jpg

Storm Defender Coat availble in America to Australia

i-test-greyhound.jpg

A friend actuall sent me an e-mail today about a simple solution to geting rid of Storm Static on Dogs who get scared by it, you just get those clothes dryer static pads and rub over the dog.

My staffy is terrible in storms. she hyperventilates, and gets herself into such a state immediately to the point of collapsing. I have put it down to the fact that the previous owner had a lovely three year old who used to torment the dog and used to fire a cap gun at the dog.

I also live near an area that does little athletics every saturday using a cap gun, so I have never been able to train her to calm down. Can speak wonders of the thundershirt, and she had it on during our category 5 cyclone yasi earlier in the year with barely a peep, so can recommend it if you dont have any other options.

Depending why the dog is scared i.e. Noise vs Static you could try one of these methods

Thunder Shirt available in Australia

22172_1.jpg

Storm Defender Coat availble in America to Australia

i-test-greyhound.jpg

A friend actuall sent me an e-mail today about a simple solution to geting rid of Storm Static on Dogs who get scared by it, you just get those clothes dryer static pads and rub over the dog.

Thanks MEH.If I wasn't on DOL I wouldn't know these these things existed.Cheers :thumbsup:

I do use the storm defender shirt for my greyhound. You need to put it on as soon as you hear thunder or know the storm is coming. As it is suppose to stop static charge affecting the dog. I think it works to a certain degree, but I thought the rescue remedy was good too (mind you I was having to take it with a shot of hard liquor for me as well as for my grey). It is horrible to see them get so worked up. I have tried closing the house up and turnng on all the lights, playing the radio loud, calmly walking around as if nothing is wrong. At the end of the day he will be shaking, panting and unable to even sit down or eat, and the other 2 or 4 greys (fosters too) will be ASLEEP.

I have slept with one leg off the bed and on him just to get him to lie down. I do believe that I have had some success walking with him (when the storm passes) to show him it is business as usual. He does love his walks and all but walks with his head under my rear, but he keeps up (bravely). I usually open the closet and he climbs in there. But he must be with you and within reach.

We had a GSD when I was a child that was a wonderful guard dog but in a thunder storm would want to be a lap dog and could come through a security screen to do it. Try everything and settle on whatever works for you and Stan.

My neighbour has a key and comes in if there is a storm to put his coat on, if I am at work :) So I guess I am overprotective too.

I can understand nothing electric being damaged by a lightening strike on a well insulated roof - unless the roof was wired into the electric system.

I would not shower in a thunderstorm. I've got copper pipes on the outside of my house walls, and they're directly connected to the shower, and good conductors of electricity and water is a good enough conductor over short distances, so for me, the shower during an electrical storm would be very dangerous. I think I'd prefer a bucket of warm water and a face washer...

I can understand nothing electric being damaged by a lightening strike on a well insulated roof - unless the roof was wired into the electric system.

I would not shower in a thunderstorm. I've got copper pipes on the outside of my house walls, and they're directly connected to the shower, and good conductors of electricity and water is a good enough conductor over short distances, so for me, the shower during an electrical storm would be very dangerous. I think I'd prefer a bucket of warm water and a face washer...

Wow, you're intense!

There was a study done on the Storm Defender or some similar product. The results suggested that there was a calming effect, but that it was more likely to be from having something wrapped around the body than from reducing the static. I'd go a Thundershirt. Sometimes it blows me away the effect it has on Erik when he's got himself wired over something. He goes from running around alert barking at anything at all every few minutes to asleep in no time at all. It's almost instant. We don't really need to use it much anymore, but I don't know how we ever lived without it.

We have a Thundershirt. It seems to have a slight effect but it's barely noticeable.

Strangely enough, the best thing for my boy seems to be noise that drowns out the thunder. Once OH was playing a very loud computer game with guns and explosions and my boy was very, very calm throughout the storm.

We have a Thundershirt. It seems to have a slight effect but it's barely noticeable.

Strangely enough, the best thing for my boy seems to be noise that drowns out the thunder. Once OH was playing a very loud computer game with guns and explosions and my boy was very, very calm throughout the storm.

Perhaps it might be the static that's the problem then not just general nerviousness?

Wow, you're intense!

I live in an asbestos house with lead paint and now I've got to worry about getting electrocuted in the shower! :eek:

I feel for your dog..and you..but I HAD to :rofl: at this

his eyes bulging out like a choked prawn!

I have a couple of dogs here who hate storms.. I just make sure they are somewhere safe , where they can see us ..and leave them to it- not patting/soothing. They get rescue remedy if they are really upset- but that's it. I'm mean :p

i has a serious coffee slperk over the choked prawn eyes... one of mine also does those impersonations. I usually try to stick around but not make too much of a fuss... silly Dennys Dog he was improving ( he is nearly 11) but two weeks ago we had a huge clap of thunder from what seemed like nowhere and his lordship did the bolt again.....

the last storm i managed to cut him off at the pass and put him on a long tie for the night.. he could come and go sit where he liked but not bolt. From time to time thru the night i would be woken by DD standing on my bed drooling and panting with choked prawn eyes....

i use rescue remedy as well

Helen