What Shampoo Is Best For An Itchy Dog?

What shampoo is best for an itchy dog?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What shampoo do you use?

• Fidos (Everyday/Oatmeal & Baking Soda/Aloe)
    • Dermcare (Natural/Aloveen)
    • PAW (Nutriderm/Sensitive Skin/2 in 1)
    • Virbac (Episoothe/Allergroom S)
    • Troy (Oaticoat)
    • Ilium Luvable
    • Squirt
    • Natures Answer Sulphate Free
    • Human Shampoo
    • Other (please specify below)
  2. 2. Why do you like the shampoo you use?

• Smells lovely
    • Cleans coat really well
    • Helps with itchy skin
    • Natural
    • Vet advised to use it
    • Price

I have used it for years with great success used to import it before it was available in Australia

I was recommended "Groomers Evening Primrose Oil" Shampoo (http://www.groomersproducts.com.au) and have found that to be good, nice and gentle on your own hands too.

ETA: I have also noticed my pup has been scratching much less since we started using Advantage Flea spot on (we had been using Frontline prior to that)

For my itchy dog (and he gets dandruff to go with it) I actually use head and shoulders. It's more expensive than the dog shampoo's but it seems to work!

Depends on what you call "expensive". I pay waaaay more for my dog's shampoo than for my own! :laugh:

For my itchy dog (and he gets dandruff to go with it) I actually use head and shoulders. It's more expensive than the dog shampoo's but it seems to work!

Depends on what you call "expensive". I pay waaaay more for my dog's shampoo than for my own! :laugh:

Me too, I've just paid over $100.00 for some shampoo, conditioner and a grooming spray :eek::laugh:

Glad to see I am not the only crazy out there :laugh:

My shampoo costs like $5 and my dogs is around $30 and she even gets conditioner!

I have used many different shampoos over the years but I settled on tea tree oil shampoo as the main shampoo as it suits most dogs - however I will use different shampoos for different occasions or problems.

I buy 5 Litres of Vetex Shampoo and decant it into a smaller container. I use this for dogs that don't have problems because it has tea tree oil in it and that works well in our climate.

Triocil is another tea tree oil shampoon that is good for itchy dogs.

For special occasions I use Royal Jelly Shampoo or a protein shampoo.

I also rinse the dog with Fidos Free Itch Concentrate after the shampoo which smells nice and instantly disposes of any odd flea that may have been picked up at the park or at a dog show.

I did find that since my dogs started eating BARF they have very few problems with itchiness or dandruff but I still use a tea tree oil shampoo just in case.

It does depend on the cause.

It can be fungal.

Have you noticed any white flaky/dandruff like stuff associated with it?

Pyohex or Maleseb used to get it under control with Kaisie - then I'd go onto one of the others, going back to the medicated one if itching/dandruff is noticed.

If you don't like the smell, a vinegar rinse will take care of that.

And for added aroma, there are plenty of conditioners/rinses to choose from.

Hi PuddleDuck - I can answer for Erny seing she's not around at the moment - I'm a big fan of Erny's calendula tea solution - and yes I make up a stock pot full of normal tea strength (maybe a bit stronger - it goes really yellow), let it cool and then bathe my itchy westie girl in it - do this daily for a week and then every second day for a week then twice a week then once a week - and I'll be surprised if you don't see a big difference.

Hope it helps. :)

You forgot to include Calendula Tea :D.

Not a shampoo, but that's what makes it so good (apart from it's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities)as it doesn't disturb pH levels as shampoos can. This is to support the skin, rather than to make the "whites whiter than white" though.

Erny, do you make up a huge amount of tea and pour it over them? I'm getting a mental picture of many kettles..... ;)