Home Alone Tug Toy

~Rumour~

I'm looking at purchasing one of these for my two Border Collies. To the peolpe that have them do the dogs use them alot or have people found they get ignored? My two are very into tugging so I hope this will keep them occupied when I'm out.

Also would a medium be suitable or would i be better off with a large?

Thanks

I'm looking at purchasing one of these for my two Border Collies. To the peolpe that have them do the dogs use them alot or have people found they get ignored? My two are very into tugging so I hope this will keep them occupied when I'm out.

Also would a medium be suitable or would i be better off with a large?

Thanks

And I would like a photo of your new pup :thumbsup:

I made my own as well, similar to the one above, but I tied an old motorbike tyre to it. Got all the material I needed from the tip shop, and it cost me about $2. It got used a bit, but I doubt he ever used it when he was alone, it seemed to take a bit of encouragement. Once he was tugging, he enjoyed it, although he seemed to be more interested in chewing the twine I used to tie up the tyre, and currently the tyre is lying on the ground. I'll have to put it up again, or maybe I'll try a rope toy this time around. It's great, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend over $100 on it, just for him to lose interest that quickly.

I brought the super duper professional one when I had shepherd and rotti. If suspended high off a pergola beam, they did enjoy it when I encouraged playing.

However since I've never been in a house since that had a suitable high place to tie it (and tried fences etc)....it was never touched again.

Good thing is it seems to last forever, so one day I'll get another beam to try again :)

I had the largest one and found that they had difficulty gripping it, so I'd probably go medium next time.

I had one that I was given which my older girl was never interested in so I had stashed it for ages and thought when my young BC was about 7 or 8 months she might want to play with it given she is super tug mad. Wasn't interested in it at all. Apparently tug is a game that you play with a human. Ended up selling it recently.

Edited by ness

I have the heavy duty turbo chook ... and my youngest absolutely loves it. We are almost due for our third one soon ... but I might need to get a new clothes line to go with it :eek:

when suspending tyres,etc, use chain..and make sure there is at least one swivel. Can't be chewed , will last forever, and won't break!

I'd thought about using chain, but then thought he might try chewing that....

Maybe I'll hang it a little higher so he can't reach the top of the tyre. Although I was thinking of using a rope toy this time and see if he enjoys that more.

He will only grab at a chain once. .......and it won't feel nice in his mouth..so he should stop. :) use a good chain.. not those twisted wire 'dog chains' you buy anywhere ..they're not safe at all.

( I usually use a chain when 'leash' training ... they will bite once or twice at it, then no more )

I came across this picture the other day of someone who had made there own suspended tug toy.

Hmmm. good idea.. however I would worry about a head going thru that hole ,and a possible nasty accident :o

Of course you would not make it so a head would fit through - it just shows you that you can make something rather then buy something.

You could make it a longer tug toy and tie it up into one fatter tug, you cold replace the tug toy for a solid ball, you could hang milk bottle off it with treats in it etc.

I have a Large Home Aloner for my Dane pup and it's perfect.

You can make your own suspended toys however be very careful to get the suspension height correct, you need to keep any metal well away from where the dogs jump to and also need to factor in strangulation too.