Previcox Or Metcam

KOE

Hello,

I have my old girl on previcox and it is working well,Metcam now comes in tablet form and doesnt seem to have as many side effects as the other.

I now have to give Oliver one of them so am wondering which is the preferred drug for osteo animals, Kim also has mammary tumors that have been removed but are back.

so anybody think that one is better than the other.

I had my old boy on Metacam and havent used the other - hopefully some othe DOLers would have used both to be able to say. The metacam I used for a short time was in liquid form. My boy was said to be arthritis with joint issues, metacam helped for a short time but seemed to lose affect, then Gabapentin/Neurontin & Tramal were added twice daily (he was 7). I then found a good mobile animal chiropractor, that was 3 years ago, my boy is nearly 11 and has been off all of that medication the whole time and is moving great regardless of the issues the xrays showed him to have. Best of luck

Previcox is a selective COX-2 inhibitor where as metacam is only partially selective for COX-2. It was originally thought that COX-2 were responsible for the unwanted side effects of NSAIDS but now it is thought that COX 2 also plays a part in maintenance and healing.

I had my girl on metacam for 5 years with no side effects. She was on the a dose at the higher end of the accepted range as well. You have to regularly check liver and kidney function when on any NSAID long term though.

I used previcox for a while as well, but found that metacam was easier for everyone to administer.

I suggest whichever works the best.

My old boy has degenerative arthritus in his wrist. He can potter around on grass or sand with little effect. A 2 minute walk on concrete and he limps really badly due to the hard surface.

This is his history over the past 8 months.

Rimadyl (carprophen) - no improvement

Weekly x 4 cartrophen injections - no improvement

Previcox - no improvement

Metacam - improvement immediately. But after about 10 days he got the upset tummy. Since then I am constantly juggling the dose of metacam. His body weight would suggest a full dose of 38ml every 24 hours. He gets by on 20mlm every second or third day.

He is nowhere near 100%, but metacam sems to be the best option for him at this point.

Annie

I tried both drugs on my old staffy with little improvement. She is now on gabapentin tablets that have been great!! If you decide to trial this drug get a script from the vet and take it to the chemist as it is heaps cheaper!!!!!

I tried both drugs on my old staffy with little improvement. She is now on gabapentin tablets that have been great!! If you decide to trial this drug get a script from the vet and take it to the chemist as it is heaps cheaper!!!!!

Be careful doing this - I think some of the human forms of this contain xylitol

Had me worried but checked the packet and it was not in it.

Had me worried but checked the packet and it was not in it.

:thumbsup: