Pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Sequel

periannath

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - the sequel

03 Jun 2011 09:04 http://www.dogworld.co.uk/News/22-Breaking-news

this article has 11 Comment(s)

A SEQUEL to the documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed is to be screened next year.

Jemima Harrison, creator of the original programme which caused so much turmoil in the world of dog showing, confirmed today that she has been commissioned to make another hour-long programme which will be screened by BBC4.

Ms Harrison of Passionate Productions said she will complete the film early next year, although it is not yet known when it will be broadcast. She intends to attend several shows in coming months, including Southern Counties this weekend, although her request for permission to film there has been denied by the committee of Southern Counties, so no filming will be taking place.

A spokesman said the committee, in light of inaccuracies and distasteful comparisons made in the original programme, took the decision not to allow filming by Passionate Productions out of respect for their exhibitors who they felt would not feel comfortable if they thought Southern Counties was supporting the production of a follow-up programme.

Part of the programme will recap on the original Pedigree Dogs Exposed, which was broadcast nearly three years ago, and will be filmed from Ms Harrison’s point of view, it is understood. The breeds under the spotlight are yet to be decided, although it is believed the Dalmatian with Pointer in her pedigree, who was registered by the Kennel Club after she was imported from the US, will be featured.

“I will be looking to show what has changed since the original programme, and Fiona, the Dalmatian, is significant,” Ms Harrison said.

Interviews with the KC’s key members of staff and members have been requested.

KC secretary Caroline Kisko declined to comment.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The breeds on her blog getting attention lately are the Shar Pei, Basset, Neo Mastiff and all giant breeds.

Taken from her last blog, seems like it will be more of the same delivered the same.

One thought has pervaded the last couple of days of researching Mate Select and reading on the lists the concerns of breeders - for whom breeding dogs has become an unenviable juggling match of expensive health tests, co-efficients of inbreeding, ancestor loss co-efficients etc etc - and owning dogs for too many has become a gut-sinking wait for preventable disease and lives robbed too young.

What a bloody shame that is has come to this.

What a bloody shame that those who could have done something to stop it never did.

And what a bloody shame that more isn't now being done to tackle the fundamental reasons why too many dogs today lead shortened, compromised lives.

We need a pedigree dogs are awesome movie.

(or something with more zing )

Agreed! But who would fund it?

The Chinese Crested write up she did was laughable.

Apparently I pour hot wax on my dog then rip it off... I have been told that's what I do so it must be true.

We need a pedigree dogs are awesome movie.

(or something with more zing )

The Chinese Crested write up she did was laughable.

Apparently I pour hot wax on my dog then rip it off... I have been told that's what I do so it must be true.

I went and read the Chinese Crested article on her blog and I have to say, I find it convincing.

see: http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/01/bald-truth-about-chinese-crested.html

Her sources seem to come from the 'inside' . .. people talking about how to win shows . . . and I am pretty repulsed by the descriptions.

You are being unfair. She does not say all Crestie people denude their dogs. She agrees that some are naturally hairless.

If what she says is true, ie, the Crufts crowd includes many who do extensive hair removal before showing, I think it deserves attention. Conformation shows should be about conformation, not cosmetics, and hair removal on the scale she's talking about strikes me as cruel.

While I don't buy Pedigree Dogs Exposed lock stock and barrel, there are a lot of things in the pedigree dog world as dominated by conformation showing that need examination and perhaps correction. It's routine for the journo who breaks a question open for examination in a big way is sensationalist. Over-reaction on the part of the pedigree dog world comes off as denial, and does more harm than good.

While I don't buy Pedigree Dogs Exposed lock stock and barrel, there are a lot of things in the pedigree dog world as dominated by conformation showing that need examination and perhaps correction. It's routine for the journo who breaks a question open for examination in a big way is sensationalist. Over-reaction on the part of the pedigree dog world comes off as denial, and does more harm than good.

I agree with this, but the UK KC has been doing a ton of work on these issues and made fast progress compared to other KCs, including our own.

The difficulty is that in any group of animal owners there will be people doing the wrong thing - pet owners, the racing fraternity, farmers, hunters, dog sports and yes, show. It comes down to how widespread it is and what harm you think is being done.

My difficulty is that her position seems not to be "you people need to fix this problem over here" but "there is a fundamental program with pure breed dogs". I think dog shows are the low hanging fruit, and once we are dealt with, they'll go after the others.

Sandgrubber, you read some of the comments down the bottom and people now actually think we are waxing and using epilators...

It has done a lot of damage to the breed and thanks to her, I have had people call me cruel for waxing, or a liar if I say I don't.

I don't deny there are problems, there are problems in every breed, but this is exaggeration and people gobble up every word she spews.

Oh yay.. more sensationalist fodder for PETA types to go to town on.

How about someone does crossbred dogs exposed... lots of problems there too and not a single genetic health test that can help prevent them.

When we see cases like Lab x Poodles PTS aged less than 2 years due to chronic HD, I'll consider the program to be a bit more balanced.

Yes that's another rock that needs to be turned over. I'm sure if someone with the right skills set into it, a show focusing on DD's and puppy mills could balance the exposure of pedigree dogs. (Not sure about X-breeds. In my experience X-breeds are all over the map. I've never met a Lab X kelpie that I didn't like, or, for that matter, one with HD. Commercial X-breeding feeding pet shops is another story.)

But the problems with pedigree dogs bred and managed to win shows require exposure. And some in the show community have a snobbish sort of nastyness that invites wrath.

My mum (b. 1923) was raised in Minnesota with working style cocker spaniels. She regarded the AKC American Cocker Spaniel as an abomination.. . ruined temperament and all too pretty/fussy. Also, the collie, that was, even by the 1950s, narrow skulled and no longer bright, like Lassie. I was raised to believe that show breeding was ruining various breeds. My observations tend to justify the prejudice I was raised with, and extend it. Bassets are lovely dogs. But it's so sad that they've gotten so bulky that many can't mate naturally . . . and back problems are very common; or that entropian is the norm with shar peis. Sick that people are soooo keen on winning shows that they would take a partially haired crestie and wax it. And it makes me want to cry that so many of the gentle giants live short and painful lives.

I think a lot of dog lovers carry around observations/ prejudices like the ones I was brought up with . . . hence the 'Pedigree dogs exposed' has a big audience.

How about someone does crossbred dogs exposed... lots of problems there too and not a single genetic health test that can help prevent them.

When we see cases like Lab x Poodles PTS aged less than 2 years due to chronic HD, I'll consider the program to be a bit more balanced.

Sandgrubber, you read some of the comments down the bottom and people now actually think we are waxing and using epilators...

It has done a lot of damage to the breed and thanks to her, I have had people call me cruel for waxing, or a liar if I say I don't.

I don't deny there are problems, there are problems in every breed, but this is exaggeration and people gobble up every word she spews.

The hair product issue I have seen as of late was published in Dog World, the last issue I think if you want to look it up. A large number of showies wanted to ban testing for certain products that are banned at dog shows and I think they got their way. I think this shows just how out of touch dog show folks are with how the world see them and what they should be focused on now at dogs shows. This is not the time to fight about their 'rights' to spray, denude, powder and otherwise their dogs for the show ring. It is time to show the world they are breeding healthy dogs and showing is not a beauty contest.

Oh well, you can lead a leapord to water but you can not make it change it's spots (or is that beauty products) LOL.

Edited by shortstep

PETA (Ingrid) was on ABC radio yesterday making sure all the faithfull Australians know that we can not let animal abuse go on and we now need to ban export of ALL animals. I understand she is supporting the bill which wil be introduced soon by the Greens that will ban the export of all animals, including dogs.

I hope they give some notice first so we can flee persecution with our dogs and move to another country, unlike the cattle producers who now face loosing their homes and properties.

Be Green

Go Veg

Edited by shortstep

PETA (Ingrid) was on ABC radio yesterday making sure all the faithfull Australians know that we can not let animal abuse go on and we now need to ban export of ALL animals. I understand she is supporting the bill which wil be introduced soon by the Greens that will ban the export of all animals, including dogs.

Oh great we need her interfering like we need a hole in the head

Oh great we need her interfering like we need a hole in the head

Watch the horse racing industry quietly put that idea to bed. Mind you, if Ingrid had said "all livestock for slaughter overseas" she'd have not heard a peep out of me.