Dory The Rescue Dog

Today I realised I signed on to DOL Sept 08 when I got Dory from Dol Member Leema.

It's been nearly three years since she has been my constant companion. It got me to thinking how much has changed and how much she has changed since she came to me.

- I can leave her at home (crated) without obsessive barking and destruction.

- She is happy to meet new people without freaking out, in fact, has learnt to turn on the cute factor in order to solicit attention. (Although she is still reserved with overly friendly people who get into her space before she is ready).

- She will spend several hours outside without trying to beat the door down.

- She has conquered the oxy welder when it is turned on, and regards it like any good tradie dog. With utter unconcern. (She's still working on the air compressor).

- She has learnt to play with balls and bring them back.

- I have been able to cut her nails, without too much struggling and squealing. (okay it's still a two person job...but this is progress!)

- I can leave her in the car for long enough to get a takeaway coffee from a cafe, without her opening the car door and sneaking into the shop looking for me.

- We don't touch the Cat Food! (although if I fall asleep on the couch...all bets are off).

- Left her for a weekend with a friend while I went interstate. And she was Brilliant.

I'm sure there are other small achievements we have made, these are just the ones that come to mind. I often forget how long she's been with me, and how old she is, because she is still so playful, cuddly and still loves puppies and young things. And not above having a good muck around with them.

There have been days where I have torn my hair out with her. Days where I'm sure she wanted to pull her hair out because of me! Sometimes she has been a pain because her 'issues' have meant I've had to forgo some things or have had to plan trips to accomodate her insecurities.

But she has also been one of the best things to have happened to me too. Through thick and thin, Dory has been there. And she gives AWESOME cuddles right when you need them most. And she never ever knocks back a cuddle when you need someone to squeese.

Thankyou Leema for allowing Dory to be my Best Bud. :thanks:

Tearies here... I am so happy that Dory, after 3 months here, was able to find such a wonderful home. Thank-you so much for posting.

I am sure Dory is very grateful at the relative-comfort she now feels being home alone - thanks to your effort over the last 3 years. Thank-you for giving her the opportunity to be a happy dog.

We adopted a very LARGE purebred Golden Retriever 9 years ago. Unfortunately 10 weeks ago he died (PTS) of cancer and we are still mourning his loss.

Toby was a rescue dog and we were his third owners. In the initial ownership period it was obvious that Toby had been abused by his previous owners. Owning Toby was very rewarding on many levels and he was much loved by all the family.

One of things that really stood out with Toby was the fact that he very much recognised the love and attention we gave him and it was very obvious that he recognised his good fortune in living with us. He always went out of his way to please us and all love given was warmly responded too. He really did seem to value his releationship with us. (I know this sounds strange but it something that my wife and I discussed a number of times when he was still with us)

Whilst I have not opted for a rescue dog (as I have done 3 times in the past) on this occasion I have found it most rewarding.

Have a great life with Dory - sounds like you deserve each other!

Edited by EVO8Gold

Dory gives us warm fuzzies every day. :D

She still comes to work with me everyday. I think I would have a riot on my hands if

I left her at home. :lol Bosses wife gives her a treat everyday that she is here.

In fact, Dory will whine at her until she gets it now.

I know I've said it before....We just love Dory to bits, even when she is Norty.