What Are The Hallmarks...

all of the above, but people who can forgive a newbie a little mistake here or there, with a smile. It does wonders for a new persons self esteem and confidence.

On this, i have a friend who was a newbie. Long time exhibitor had a go at her for not asking if she was ready to go. I'm still waiting for this long time exhibitor to do the same thing :rolleyes:

sometimes, exhibitors take advantage of newbies... so as oso says, if someone can go that extra mile and give a newb some encouragement, it goes a LONG way.

I agree i always ask if the person behind me is ready, i was paid the same courtesy the other day and being 7.5 months pregnant and running mulitple dogs it was much appreciated to give me a few secs to get lead right before we were off.

i had a friend i signed up as a handler, handle the other day, i mentioned to steward and judge he was new and first show, they were so nice with him telling him advice, and it actually shocked me he turned around and asked if the person behind him was ready "he'd paid more attention then i gave him credit for" and the other exhibitors gave him distance etc it was lovely as this isn't always the case

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of the above, but people who can forgive a newbie a little mistake here or there, with a smile. It does wonders for a new persons self esteem and confidence.

I have just survived my first year of showing and if not for the support and help of a group of wonderful(hound) people I would have given up in despair and embaressment. It means everything for a newbie to be encouraged and guided through the many perils and pitfalls of the showring.

Respect for any dog would be my main thing,respect in the ring to all parties .

I am not to fussed on the congratulations especially when you no it is false,would sooner nothing be said.(maybe this is more of an old hand thing)

I forgot to say "well Done" to someone once & copped a mouthful so i don't say anything now.

Also i think what makes a good handler also applies to the crap some write on forums .i have read some super stuff over the years that i think many people forget or live in a glass house about there own dogs

Showing is important to me too Megz. It's not important how I do in the ring (sure a win occasionally is nice but losing doesn't make it a bad day), what's important is what I learn from being there and being around those more experienced than me within my chosen breed, and the awesome friends I get to spend the day with.

Most of my closest friends are show people, both here and interstate and dog shows are my chance to hang out with some great people surrounded by gorgeous dogs. Being at a show is the one time I don't have uni stuff going through my head., I can forget what I'm stressing about and have a great day out and that is important to me.

And I started to enjoy shows more when I worked that all out, and I am having a much better time which isn't dependant on how I go in the ring.

Anyway, back on topic.

I completely agree with everyone who's said organisation. Occasionally people make mistakes with dogs or numbers or handlers but experienced people who are consistanly disorganised and take forever to do something frustrate me! :laugh:

Being nice to newcomers within your breed, even if you don't agree with their choice of dog. They are new to the world of showing and don't have the same experience or knowledge of breeders or lines experience people may do. Just because you disagree with their choice of dog doesn't mean you need to be rude or make them feel unwelcome.

Being nice to newcomers within your breed, even if you don't agree with their choice of dog. They are new to the world of showing and don't have the same experience or knowledge of breeders or lines experience people may do. Just because you disagree with their choice of dog doesn't mean you need to be rude or make them feel unwelcome.

Good one! The "why would you buy one from them, euw!" thing happened to us once when we started out and I can think of at least two people in my peer group that it happened to as well. As well as being rude it's not very smart. The new person doesn't walk away from those discussions thinking "gosh that person must be right and I should ask them for a dog instead" they walk away thinking "wow, that person is a fruitcake".

A dog is a dog and is deserving of a base level of respect and good will as a living creature. Just because I wouldn't have the dog in my yard as show or breeding prospect doesn't make it necessary to be rude.

Recent events have reminded me of a few more:

Be polite about other exhibitors, particularly when you are talking to a newcomer... sitting there badmouthing other exhibitors to someone you don't know is not endearing.

Share your thoughts but respect other people's opinions, don't lecture people or be rude because it does the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve.