Vent About Kids Walking Dogs

Maybe I should just keep my dogs onlead throughout there walk, I guess they won't be lossing much weight then. To wear them out onlead I better walk all day then, there already getting 40 minutes to 2 hours of exercise a day most of it offlead. Maybe a meter was to close for comfort. I was in a legal offlead area, Shelley normally ignores all other dogs on our walks unless I say it is alright. I can only say Shelley reacted the way she did cause the dog was pulling like a stream train towards us, I was grabing her lead but before I had time to attach it she was off towards it so I yelled drop which she did straight away then called her.

Had another incident today on our walk aswell another staffy or crossbred dog. This guy saw me coming, I didn't see the dog at first but I had both my guys walking in heel, another offlead area down by the river. Well the guy didn't even bother grabing his dog, His dog then went for Shelley who was minding her own buisness walking right beside me, I held her by her collar as we were walking past, Rascal was walking beside me. This dog went to grab Shelley by the neck so I let go of Shelley so at least she had a chance to defend herself or run away. Rascal my chi run back the other way to get away. Shelley run the obbisite direction. Cause the dog couldn't catch Shelley I went to pick up Rascal when the dog went for him had him pinned down to the ground, All while the owner was trying to get his dog. I managed to pick up Rascal then the dog went back for Shelley, which then stood up real tall and puff herself out to make herself look bigger then what she was. At this point I knew Shelley was getting angry thank god the owner managed to grabed his dog. Yes I had mine offlead but they were under complete control.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On our walk today I came accross 3 kids ranging from 10 to 5, They were walking either a amercian staffy or pitbull hard to tell. Shelley went to run up to it till I told her drop she got pretty close to it, I then called her and she came straight back to me. This dog was pulling these 3 kids all over the place,they had no control over the dog. Then they yell out to me to keep my dogs away as there dog bites. I had complete control over my dogs, Yes Shelley did get pretty close to it but listened to me when I told her drop and come.

I know I probably did the wrong thing by leaving my guys offlead, BUt I did have them under control and they listened to what I said. But what makes me angry is the fact they admitted that there dog bites other dogs, If thats the case they should have had a muzzle on the dog. But what else gets me is why the hell did the parents allow 3 young kids walk a dog aggerssive dog and one that they can't control. The only way they stoped it from pulling is 2 of the kids had to basicly sit on the dog.

I disagree with DA dogs needing a muzzle to protect the dogs of owners who break the law allowing their dogs to roam off leash. I have that said to me on a couple of occassions when one of mine has cranked up on an unleashed dog and asking them why their dog is off leash in relation to the laws, they have a go at me because mine cranked up suggesting I should muzzle him? Why should I muzzle him, we are on leash minding our own business then an off leash dog runs at us owned by people who can't control their dog off leash and breaking the law, and it's my dog's behaviour than needs addressing putting their dog at risk of getting bitten :confused: Not that I would allow my dog to bite another dog off leash or not, if they abided by the laws or could control their dog these incidents wouldn't happen.

Mumtoshelley was in a legal off leash area.

She was in an off leash area but off leash still means dogs need to be kept under effective control, meaning that you need to have voice control of your dog and be able to prevent it from approaching another dog or person. If a DA dog is secured on leash, even in an off leash area, it should not have to be muzzled because owners of off leash dogs in the area should be abiding by the law and not letting their dogs rush up to other dogs, which I think was PetSitter's point.

I did have voice control over my dogs, Like I said iI was grabbing her leash at the time, If you know my Shelley she is quite fast. By time I got to yell out drop she was already a meter away from the dog.I have there leash looped around my neck so my hands are free.My dogs also know hand signals and commands.

On our walk today I came accross 3 kids ranging from 10 to 5, They were walking either a amercian staffy or pitbull hard to tell. Shelley went to run up to it till I told her drop she got pretty close to it, I then called her and she came straight back to me. This dog was pulling these 3 kids all over the place,they had no control over the dog. Then they yell out to me to keep my dogs away as there dog bites. I had complete control over my dogs, Yes Shelley did get pretty close to it but listened to me when I told her drop and come.

I know I probably did the wrong thing by leaving my guys offlead, BUt I did have them under control and they listened to what I said. But what makes me angry is the fact they admitted that there dog bites other dogs, If thats the case they should have had a muzzle on the dog. But what else gets me is why the hell did the parents allow 3 young kids walk a dog aggerssive dog and one that they can't control. The only way they stoped it from pulling is 2 of the kids had to basicly sit on the dog.

I disagree with DA dogs needing a muzzle to protect the dogs of owners who break the law allowing their dogs to roam off leash. I have that said to me on a couple of occassions when one of mine has cranked up on an unleashed dog and asking them why their dog is off leash in relation to the laws, they have a go at me because mine cranked up suggesting I should muzzle him? Why should I muzzle him, we are on leash minding our own business then an off leash dog runs at us owned by people who can't control their dog off leash and breaking the law, and it's my dog's behaviour than needs addressing putting their dog at risk of getting bitten :confused: Not that I would allow my dog to bite another dog off leash or not, if they abided by the laws or could control their dog these incidents wouldn't happen.

She was in an off leash area but off leash still means dogs need to be kept under effective control, meaning that you need to have voice control of your dog and be able to prevent it from approaching another dog or person. If a DA dog is secured on leash, even in an off leash area, it should not have to be muzzled because owners of off leash dogs in the area should be abiding by the law and not letting their dogs rush up to other dogs, which I think was PetSitter's point.

I did have voice control over my dogs, Like I said iI was grabbing her leash at the time, If you know my Shelley she is quite fast. By time I got to yell out drop she was already a meter away from the dog.I have there leash looped around my neck so my hands are free.My dogs also know hand signals and commands.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you. I should have been clear that I was just responding to the comment about DA dogs needing to be muzzled when out walking on leash and what I understood to be aussielover implying that if it is in a designated off leash area, then the onus is on the owner of the leashed DA dog and not on the owner of the friendly off leash dog. It wasn't directed at you personally or about the level of control you do or don't have over your dogs. :)

I understand. I just wish some parents have common sense and not allow children to walk a aggerssive dog on there own. I often have my 9 year old niece asking if she can walk Shelley, But I don't allow her as Shelley can be quite strong when she wants to be.

I totally agree that kids shouldn't be walking dogs alone. Even if their dog is nice and placid and unlikely to try and get away from them a child shouldn't ever be in a position where they are solely responsible for their dog. What if an aggressive dog attacks their dog? How on earth could they be expected to stop it from happening or break up a fight? I can't begin to imagine how a child would cope with watching their dog torn apart let alone knowing they were supposed to look after the dog. :mad

Thats my main worryI'm a adult and I know if I saw my dog or someone elses dog been torn up I would be mighty upset. I get teary just thinking of it. I would hate to see if a child had to watch something like that. In a way I wish they would bring in a law stating that they have to be 16 years old before there allowed to walk a dog on there own. I don't mind children walking dogs as long as there with a adult. Shelley is only a golden retriever but don't let that breed fool you there quite strong when they want to be.

I agree 100% Snook. Too many patents put their children in potentially dangerous situations when it comes to dogs. The dog they have could be a SWF who is calm, friendly and obedient and just around the corner is an off lead DA dog.... Potentially very dangerous to the children and the SWF.

In NSW and SA - you have to be over 16 to be responsible / in control of a dog.

In QLD parents or guardians are responsible for minors (how hold is that?) in charge of dogs ie I think you can infer that the parent is responsible for the dog so no unsupervised dog walks with children.

Can't be stuffed figuring out WA or Vic or the rest.

Are you saying that if we go to dog parks we need to ask the owners of other dogs whether or not it's ok for our dogs to approach them? Huh? If it's a designated off leash area, you have to expect other dogs to come running up. This is why I don't go to dog parks, because no one ever asks, and other dogs run up to us all the time. A DA dog doesn't belong in an off leash area, because other dogs WILL run up to it.

I agree that kids should not walk dogs, my dog was attacked by a big dog out on a walk. The dog was on leash and the kid was still on the other end of the leash when it reached us, but he had NO control of the dog and no chance of stopping it.

I also see kids walking dogs in a nearby bush area where we walk every day. Usually they are able to restrain their dogs, but soooo many of them are dog reactive and the kids resort to leash pops and yanking and yelling in an attempt to stop them reacting. Today we encountered a teenage boy carrying a keeshond because the dog was going crazy barking and growling at me and some other people with dogs.

Edited by fuzzy82

We have a lane way that runs next to our property. Besides my neighbours amstaffs being let loose from their yard last year by a kid who used to torment her dogs.

There is a group af 3 young kids who walk a little yappy mix breed and they think it's loads of fun to stop at my fence and not only let their dog harass my dogs but they also think it's great fun to rile up my dogs themselves.

If they are doing this to my dogs it makes me wonder if they do it to my new neighbours who have 2 highly dog aggressive dogs in their yard. Which have already escaped once and attacked someones dogs.

I am sorry, I didn't realise it was an off leash area, but I would never take my reactive dog into off leash areas where other dogs are around. I don't think off leash areas are a good place for reactive dogs :)

Its interesting to think back, I used to walk our dogs all the time when I was under 16, that's for sure. And I was sure my parents mentality at the time was probably the same as alot of others... "The kids are okay, they have the dogs WITH them" I wasn't allowed to go walking somewhere unless I had the dog or a friend with me... So I think today alot of these kids with these big uncontrollable dogs... Or any dog for that matter.. their parents might be thinking "the kids are okay, the dog is with them" quite simply not thinking of the consequences... and If you where a kid walking your dog (if you happened to enjoy doing so) and got into trouble with another dog would they likely tell their parents? Chances are no... cos then their parents would take that privilege away from them instead of doing the Right thing which is either doing some training with their child and dog, supervising their child or some other preventive measure.

I do know though.. and I still dont, I dont let Brutus off lead when there are other dogs around.. he is a big 'scarey' looking dog and people always assume the worst of him and I know he has a terrible recall... (if there is NOTHING around and I have his ball/toy he will come back) and I know I need to work on that so I just dont take the risk of letting him off where he will come into contact with other dogs.. I know i dont have effective control over my dog so I dont take the risk.

Yesterday we where at a fenced park playing some serious fetch with my aunts toy poodle... when from out of nowhere a very vast very strong uncontrolled rotty cross came running up to us, clambered all over the poodle who had returned immidiatly on recall, my aunt had to pick her up (shes had pins in her front leg and cant take being jumped on by a large dog) then the dog proceeded to jump all over my aunt trying to get to the poodle (my aunt has ALSO had pins in her leg and cant take being jumped on by a large dog ;) like owner like dog) ... Finally the woman who had let the dog off came up to appologise that she didnt see us there before letting her dog off... again no control over her dog she coudlnt even get it to sit so she could catch it and put it on its lead long enough to let us leave in peace.

I think it doesnt matter how much we all complain about it... theres always going to be someone somewhere who has an uncontrolled dog. And Unfortunatly the only way to make sure things run smoothly is to not only worry about your dog but everyone elses... because clearly.. not everyone is responsible as you think you are.

Just like driving.. its not your driving... its all the other idiots out there you need to watch for.

Kids shouldn't been walking the dog but a dog aggressive dog doesn't have a muzzle on.....shouldn't let your dogs near it.....

I think that young kids should not be walking any kind of dog on their own, and definitely not one that is heavier or stronger than them. Particularly stupid if the dog is aggressive in any way.

If you know your dog is at all likely to bite another dog, (unless of course it is being attacked), it should be muzzled. Full stop. If you are worried about what it might do if somebody's dog comes up near it in an off leash area or out on a normal walk, where you are minding your own business, it should be muzzled. Not all dogs off leash are there by fault of the owner. What if a dog got a fright and slipped is collar, was let out somebody's front door by accident, the owner was not there to re-call it or control it. Wouldn't you feel terrible if that dog was injured by your aggressive dog?

In response to the idea that no dog should approach another dog in an off leash area unless invited, I don't understand. Many owners go to off leash areas to let their dogs socialise, and the rules only state that you should be in effective control of your dog, meaning that you can re-call it, stop it if necessary. There are plenty of places you can walk your dog on lead, there is no need to bring your dog aggressive animal into an area you know will be a challenge for it and spoil the good-natured fun of the other dogs there.

I reckon I'm probably going to get hung drawn and quartered for my opinion, but meh, I can have a vent too.

What if a dog got a fright and slipped is collar, was let out somebody's front door by accident, the owner was not there to re-call it or control it. Wouldn't you feel terrible if that dog was injured by your aggressive dog?

Speaking as a previous owner of an aggressive dog, no I would not. I'd feel furious that the other owner's negligence had probably put back my dog's training and rehabilitation by weeks if not months.

What if a dog got a fright and slipped is collar, was let out somebody's front door by accident, the owner was not there to re-call it or control it. Wouldn't you feel terrible if that dog was injured by your aggressive dog?

Speaking as a previous owner of an aggressive dog, no I would not. I'd feel furious that the other owner's negligence had probably put back my dog's training and rehabilitation by weeks if not months.

my point was that the case did not involve owner's negligence

not much point me arguing the case though when you view the world as you do

Most state laws say that you cannot let your dog rush up to or harrass other dogs. Doesn't matter if its an on lead or off lead place.

It is up to you to negotiate with the other owner...

I had exactly this conversation with another dog owner today. I saw a staffy on lead enter the far side of the park which allows dogs off lead but unfenced. I tried to catch my dog and I kept her from saying hello to the staffy (even tho she was being quite contrary and I couldn't catch her straight away). The other owner said she didn't need to keep her dog away from the staffy on lead because her dog was friendly. I said she doesn't know if the staffy is friendly or not. I said there are two sorts of dogs on lead - the friendly but no recall sort, and the aggressive attack sort. So it's never ok to let your dog near a dog that's on lead without having a discussion with the owner. Ie this person's dog might be friendly but allowing it to approach an on lead dog without discussion can result in an attempted mauling. And it would be the friendly dog's fault.

Ideally you don't let your dog greet dogs off lead without talking to owner either, but I usually go by how the owner and their dog is reacting to the approach of my dog. She usually parks about 20m away or further and lies down, and then depending what the owner and other dog do, I let her greet, or I call her away. She sometimes looks like an ambush dog, but her greetings vary (depending on the other dog) including springing the ambush, crawling to approach and rolling over. Or standing up and doing a "dignified" sniff fest with the other dog.

I don't see how the owner is not negligent in the examples you gave. Unless the owner wasn't there and someone else is looking after the dog but its still the fault of the person who is responsible for the dog, and not anyone else who might be walking their dog.

Ick! What an awful contentious mess. Sounds to me like a lot of people not being sufficiently responsible and then pointing the finger at the other guy. I like the idea of kids walking the dog. If people end out living in more densely populated areas, I wish they would stick to breeds/individuals that behave well on lead and are not DA. If people want to have DA animals or are not willing to put the time in on getting a dog fully socialised, I hope they can find a place where there's a lot of well fenced land around their property and no one else has to deal with their dogs.

The owner is responsible for their dogs actions even if it was an accident or unintentional. If a dog slipped it's collar or broke a leash fastner and bit someone with the incident reported, you don't get excused because the incident was an accident, the dog is either under effective control or it isn't and if the dog gets away from you and gets into strife, you have failed your ownership obligation is how it's formally viewed.

It's only in extreme circumstances with well witnessed evidence of wrong doing will charges be laid against a leashed dog and owner against an unleashed dog even at an off leash area and if a dog is on leash handled by an adult regardless of what it did, it's 99% safe in avoiding a prosecution of negligence.