Toileting Troubles!

Mand2410

I am after some advice on my new puppy, we have had her a week now, and she is crate trained/training... But we are having toileting issues... She just wont go when I take her out... She stands around, looks at me, then lays down and has a rest...

I give her 10 minutes or so to go, but she usually doesn't.... and then I bring her in... Usually she will have an accident straight away... So to stop that, I have started putting her back in her crate if she doesn't "go" and I take her out to toilet again in 15 minutes... But still she wont go!

When she does go, she gets "yes" and liver treat... Which she loves, but it really just seems like she is holding out! What am I doing wrong???

I feel so mean... putting her back in her crate... But how else am I supposed to stop her from having accidents?

Thanks for any advice

I am after some advice on my new puppy, we have had her a week now, and she is crate trained/training... But we are having toileting issues... She just wont go when I take her out... She stands around, looks at me, then lays down and has a rest...

I give her 10 minutes or so to go, but she usually doesn't.... and then I bring her in... Usually she will have an accident straight away... So to stop that, I have started putting her back in her crate if she doesn't "go" and I take her out to toilet again in 15 minutes... But still she wont go!

When she does go, she gets "yes" and liver treat... Which she loves, but it really just seems like she is holding out! What am I doing wrong???

I feel so mean... putting her back in her crate... But how else am I supposed to stop her from having accidents?

Thanks for any advice

Thats is quite normal. Keep putting her outside everytime she wakes up from a snooze, after you play a bit with her and she will get it. When she does have an accident inside, just pick her up bring her outside without getting angry. I hope your "yes" is more then just that. Praise her like its the best thing she could ever do for you. She will get it dont worry it only takes a couple of weeks. I wouldnt put her back in her crate while she might think you punish her and she does have no idea whatfor.

Thanks for any advice

Thats is quite normal. Keep putting her outside everytime she wakes up from a snooze, after you play a bit with her and she will get it. When she does have an accident inside, just pick her up bring her outside without getting angry. I hope your "yes" is more then just that. Praise her like its the best thing she could ever do for you. She will get it dont worry it only takes a couple of weeks. I wouldnt put her back in her crate while she might think you punish her and she does have no idea whatfor.

Hahaha, sorry I should have made it clear,

I meant she gets the marker "yes" and a treat.. But while I am giving her the treat after the yes, I give her HEAPS of praise!! She gets so excited... She gets a pat, and in a "voice" she gets "good girl, good good girl" ... I am sure she knows I am pleased with her... It is just that she doesn't seem to want to "go" for the treat and praise!

When I put her back in the crate, she seems more than ahppy to go back in, she isn't upset, and will usually just play with her toys.. Quite often I hide a treat in there before she goes back in too, so there is something nice to find...

I will keep trying... Hopefully she will soon understand!

My 13 wk old BC puppy, Cricket, associates being put on the grass with weeing. So before I let him into the house for a game, I lock him up either in his crate or X pen for a short while then take him out on the grass...he wees, then he gets to come in & play (I still keep watch). In the two weeks we have had him he hasn't wee'd in the house....that is...until last night. He had had his game in the lounge room, I opened the door for both dogs to go outside to do wee's & PICKED UP MY TORCH. Bindi ran outside like a good girl, but Cricket ran immediately back into the lounge room, gave me a happy look & proceeded to do a lovely wee on the carpet. Thinking about it, he associated my picking up the torch as a cue to wee :rofl:

I never let him run around in the house unsupervised...he is either outside, or in his X pen or crate & I always give him a yummy treat for going into his pen or crate. Last night he slept from 9pm till 7am :thumbsup:

I would keep putting her back in the crate if she pees as soon as she comes in!

I understand your frustration- this time last year I was outside at 11pm at night in the cold for like 30 mins waiting for my puppy to toilet :laugh:

I would maybe trying getting her to run around, maybe have a play before you take her to the toilet- sometimes puppies need exercise to be stmulated to go.

It is also important not to take away a reward when she has gone- so if you end the play outside and immediately take her inside, she is not going to want to toilet as she thinks it means the end of fun.

I would play with my puppy outside for about 10 mins after she had toileted.

You could also keep playing indoors if your puppy prefers to be inside and warm!

It also helps to have a special area for toileting. Keep puppy on lead and take them to the area, dont let them wander away until they go.

I found a command very useful- I use quick quick but you can use whatever.

Basically just say it as they begin to go, they will soon learn what it means.

It nakes it a lot easier to make them go- you dont have to stand out oin the cold for so long either!

Edited by aussielover

And maybe use a toileting cue? I've heard "quick quick", "empty puppy" - we use "Go pee go poop"

I understand how frustrating it is - Ziva would go outside, treat and praise, then as soon as we got inside she'd go again! It didn't last longer than the first few days.

And maybe use a toileting cue? I've heard "quick quick", "empty puppy" - we use "Go pee go poop"

I understand how frustrating it is - Ziva would go outside, treat and praise, then as soon as we got inside she'd go again! It didn't last longer than the first few days.

Just make sure you don't cue with words such as "good boy" or you may find him relieving himself when you say "good boy" to something else. I don't like to use "yes" either for the same reason.

Welcome to the club. I laughed when I read this as a few years ago I experienced the same problem. In fact the problem lasted until 6 months and I was almost sure that the dog was doing it on purpose (would look straight at me while doing it's business). :hitself:

Make regular trips outdoors, say on the hour and use a command when the puppy does do somthing like "be quick" and lots of praise for doing the right thing. Eventually the puppy will get the hang of it.