Hoping For Some Suggestions

Hello DOL Members!

First time posting--been reading for awhile, but I've never had any worthwhile input :).

I am hoping to get some of your opinions on a situation I've noticed at the dog park. I take my foster dog there almost once a day because she absolutely loves the chance to run, and for the past month or so a girl has been bringing her GSD puppy to the park. He's possibly 4-6 months by now, I'm not the best with guessing ages. When I first saw them, he was pretty shy around other dogs and tended to stay around his owner and hadn't noticed much about him. Now however, he's become much more social and I've noticed the saddest thing: he's got some of the worst hips/back legs I have ever seen on a dog. His back is so low and his legs are nowhere near the right shape. It's so sad to see him at the park because he loves playing but I have yet to see him run, because I don't think he can--he can barely do a trot. He's such a sweet dog, but I'm really worried about him.

So, my question is if I should talk to the owner about it? I would like to think she must have noticed it, or her vet at the very least, but I suppose there's always the chance that it's somehow not caught their attention--though I don't know how. Besides wanting to make sure she understands how bad of a shape her pup is, I'm worried that she's gotten this dog from a registered breeder and they could still be breeding these dogs (I have no idea how often GSD's have problem with BYB's). However, I find it a really uncomfortable topic to bring up, the fact that she purchased a dog that will have lifelong health problems. Any suggestions will be welcome, I can't decide if I would be intruding to talk to her about it or if it would be in the best interest of her as well as others who might be considering purchasing from the same breeder.

Thanks so much for reading! I hope I'll have happier posts to add in the future :)

Molly

If it were me I'd talk to her a bit, ask her his name, how old he is etc, then I'd ask something along the lines of whether he's having any troubles with his mobility yet. From this she'll either get what you mean or give you a look of "I don't know why you would ask that". And if I got that look I'd say "GSD's are prone to getting (whatever the disorder is) and it looks like (name of dog) has a touch of it". This should then lead into discussion about the signs he's exhibiting and then you can suggest that she get the dog to a vet for advice.

People with knowledge about GSDs and this disorder/disease/syndrome might have better suggestions tho as I don't know much about the breed, I'm giving advice at an interpersonal conversation level :-)

Edited by Akay

Guest Willow

First time posting--been reading for awhile, but I've never had any worthwhile input :).

I wouldnt worry about that....it doesn't stop the rest of us from getting our two cents worth in whether it's worthwhile or not :laugh:

*tells self off for being naughty & leaves thread*

:laugh:

What do you know about the breed ???

If you would like to make friends at the dog park I wouldn't say a word it's none of your business (sorry) :shhh:

No one likes negative words about their puppy, especially if you don't know them.

Think Akay's approach is good. Might also want to mention about keeping weight down to minimise impact on back end.

I have spoken to young guy at dog training about his 6mo GSD and problems it may have if he doesn't watch weight but don't think it did much good.

Good luck.

So, my question is if I should talk to the owner about it?

No.

For all we know the puppy may well have a health problem that the owner is well aware of, and that is being treated by a vet. It could have been injured, or have another problem.

The owner may be doing everything possible to ensure her pup is happy and enjoying life as best it can.

It may just be an awkward shape!

I would be mightily annoyed if someone came up to me and spoke to me about this sort of thing - sorry.Not really your problem .

By all means, speak up if a dog is obviously being abused , or is in immediate danger ... however - this pup has an owner, is being walked at a park, is on lead, is getting attention ....

Edited by persephone

If you don't know how a breed or bloodline develops, then perhaps you should hold your tongue.

Puppies can grow in odd ways. I remember seeing male litter mates at 8 or so months. These dogs had grown so high on leg and had almost no length of back. They were the oddest shape, and when they went to squat to pee, it came out between their front legs. :laugh:

They grew in to lovely, properly proportioned animals! It was just at that point in time their legs had grown but not much else had.

Puppies can grow in odd ways.

Exactly and especially when they are a couple of months old. There might be nothing wrong with the pup. If you see the person on a regular basis you could ask in a few months time about the dog (if it still walks funny) but until then dont.

Depends. How much do you know about the breed & how bad is it really.

German shepherds are bred with a sloping back & legs lower than they were, they don't look like the same dog as when I was a child.

There could be any reason, maybe he is just nervous & standing funny. Who knows ?

It's not right to go up to a perfect stranger & make remarks about their dog generally although sometimes it is done, eg dog with bucket on head being walked & you comment Oh dear what has he been up to. Not quite the same scenario as yours.

If you have to say anything get chatting first & be very subtle.

My sister in law had a GS pup from a breeder.He had a problem with his head/neck where it twisted of to one side all the time. They had the option of returning him but they kept him.The condition did improve a bit as he got older and he had a good and long life.Say hello to these people and see if they mention the subject first.Otherwise they may think you only wanted to talk to them to make fun of their dog,

Say hello to these people and see if they mention the subject first.

I don't see why - when the OP appears to be concerned with people buying puppies from an unscrupulous breeder ..

Besides wanting to make sure she understands how bad of a shape her pup is, I'm worried that she's gotten this dog from a registered breeder and they could still be breeding these dogs (I have no idea how often GSD's have problem with BYB's).
or if it would be in the best interest of her as well as others who might be considering purchasing from the same breeder.

They didn't express a desire to make friends with the owner,regardless, So why presume friendship just so you can learn more about where the pup came from ?

My sister in law had strangers come up to her and ask ;what happened to the dog.She did get a bit fed up with that.Persephone has a point.You can say hello to anyone you like at the park.But do it for the right reasons.Hope i make sense this time.

My sister in law had a GS pup from a breeder.He had a problem with his head/neck where it twisted of to one side all the time. They had the option of returning him but they kept him.The condition did improve a bit as he got older and he had a good and long life.Say hello to these people and see if they mention the subject first.Otherwise they may think you only wanted to talk to them to make fun of their dog,

That's what I would to too - I personally would never approach someone with questions about their dog's health, appearance.. well, anything more than what breed/how old etc.

My main reason is that I have been cornered by people who fire questions at me in a rude and judgmental way, quizzing me about where I got my dog, why I got a 3 year old rather than a puppy, if she's from a breeder or shelter, if she's been desexed.. and various people have strong opinions about the pros and cons of .. various things. I'm always polite and chatty in answering back, trying to make it more like a conversation rather than dodging bullets at every turn, but some people are just RUDE! I'm not saying that you are or would be like that at all, but I just groan inwardly when I see someone like this coming towards me.

In my experience though, people at the dog park are more than happy to chat about their dogs, because being there is a sign that they clearly love them and you instantly have something in common. I'd start from there and just see how the conversation progresses - not sure what you can do apart from that though :(

Thanks for all the replies :D.

I've spoken to the owner a few times, since we're often at the dog park at the same time and our dogs play together, so it's not quite like going up to a perfect stranger but I understand what all of you are saying.

I'll probably just keep an eye on him and see if he improves. I don't want to seem rude/nosey in anyway, I was just rather worried for him. I've never seen a puppy that couldn't play properly because of the way his hips and back legs were growing, but as people have said, puppies can grow awkwardly.

I know that GSD's are now bred for the sloping back for show, but I've also heard that poorly bred ones have serious hip problems, I have a friend whose GSD had to be put to sleep because of her problems. I'm hoping this pup doesn't end up having the same issues :(.

Thanks again! And I still welcome anymore input.

Just wanted to say I saw the pup again today and he was much more mobile than I'd ever seen him before. He ran for the first time I'd seen, so I think that perhaps he's growing out of his awkwardness. He still has a rather awkward gait, but it will hopefully keep improving.

However, talking to the owner today, she did get him from a registered breeder not from a BYB you would expect particularly bad hips from. So, here's to hoping my initial judgement was on a puppy that hadn't quite grown into himself yet.

Thanks for all the input :D. Sorry if I sounded like I was being nosey with my initial post, that's part of the reason I wanted to ask people's opinion. I would never want to seem rude, especially to people who obviously love their dog, but I would personally appreciate someone talking to me about a health problem with my dog that they thought I might not have seen. But, I now know not everyone would feel that way, so it's something I will keep in mind.

Thanks again!