Vaccinations

Ok this has probably been done before so sorry if it has but...My small dog (Chinese Crested) is due for his vaccinations this month. He's had the full set of them last year...as a puppy. At the time of the last shot the vet said that these days, especially with smaller dogs there's no need to do it every year and he should be safe for 3 years.

Then a few days ago I went in the vets to buy worming tablets and it came up on their computer that his shots were due...I said no he should be good for 3 years as the vet here told me. Receptionist said 'no, that's not true, none of the vets here would say that'. I'm not a fool and I clearly remember the vet saying this, so does my daughter who came in with us. I asked to see the vet but she was in surgery.

So I came home and did a bit of research on-line and read all about over vaccinating and it should be only every 3 years, then I read that yes it does need to be done every year if you want your dog fully protected, then I read no don't do it, it's just a money making scheme for the vets....and so on. I'm now confused.

I'd really like to speak to the vet but she's always un-available. My dog is booked in tomorrow...I want something else checked out, and will then finally be able to speak to the vet about the vaccination issue...but will she then convince me it needs to be done just so they can cash in? All I want it what's best for my dog. Money is not the issue for me, this dog is loved like my child, I don't want to fill his tiny body full of toxins if it's not necessary.

What are your thoughts?

He still hasn't finished his puppy vac so yes DEFINITELY get it done. I lost a rescue dog to Parvo last year and she contracted it likely outside of the pound and she was 1 - 2 years.

If you aren't wanting to Vac every year you need to get either the specific 3 year vac or do titre testing! I wanted to play this game you are question with my Cavalier however after losing the rescue I had his booster done straight away and will always vac and titre test from now on. It's not worth the risk!

There are some people of the opinion that antibodies for dogs should be no different than humans and dogs don't need booster vaccinations at all (other than the initial puppy ones).

How I read the current protocols is:

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

Every three years after that.

Jet is due for his this month. He is 2 years old, so had his puppy ones then had a yearly one a year later. So if I am reading this right does this mean I should not worry about it for another 2 years then get the 3 yearly vacc?

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

Jet is due for his this month. He is 2 years old, so had his puppy ones then had a yearly one a year later. So if I am reading this right does this mean I should not worry about it for another 2 years then get the 3 yearly vacc?

If you want to vaccinate- he had had his booster, so doesn't need another one for three years.

I am talking about a C3 vaccine.

Kennel cough (if you wish to get this) still needs to be done yearly.

Proheart (heartworm injections) also need to be done yearly.

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

If you want to vaccinate- he had had his booster, so doesn't need another one for three years.

I am talking about a C3 vaccine.

Kennel cough (if you wish to get this) still needs to be done yearly.

Proheart (heartworm injections) also need to be done yearly.

Oh ok. So only need to worry about Kennel Cough since I worm him monthly. Ty.

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

My understanding for the core vaccs (C3) too :)

Problem is that some vets follow the new protocol and others refuse to acknowledge it. Same goes for training clubs, boarding kennels....

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

Problem is that some vets follow the new protocol and others refuse to acknowledge it. Same goes for training clubs, boarding kennels....

We don't generally board our dogs, so don't have a problem there, but have had lengthy conversations at a couple of clubs we play at regarding their policy.

Both clubs ended up seeing our point of view - with an animal that is Titre tested I can PROVE that they have immunity. (Or at least did at a given point in time.) All anyone who vaccinates can prove is that they have vaccinated - it is not a guarantee either.

Oh - best to be careful with heart worm injections for Collie dogs. My boy doesn't tolerate anything with Ivermectin (sp?) in it.

Edited by Agility Dogs

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

We don't generally board our dogs, so don't have a problem there, but have had lengthy conversations at a couple of clubs we play at regarding their policy.

Both clubs ended up seeing our point of view - with an animal that is Titre tested I can PROVE that they have immunity. (Or at least did at a given point in time.) All anyone who vaccinates can prove is that they have vaccinated - it is not a guarantee either.

Oh - best to be careful with heart worm injections for Collie dogs. My boy doesn't tolerate anything with Ivermectin (sp?) in it.

Your quite right, titer tests PROVE your dog is vaccinated. It's the only proof that the vaccination worked.

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

Your quite right, titer tests PROVE your dog is vaccinated. It's the only proof that the vaccination worked.

I wish my local club/vets would see it that way. Some people can't or won't see past their own "policies".

Puppy jabs

Booster after one year

I wish my local club/vets would see it that way. Some people can't or won't see past their own "policies".

Most have no vision beyoned the end of their noses.

There's one manufacturer of vaccines that still insist on vaccinating yearly (and even claiming that the AVA has apparently realised they made a mistake with the new policy and have reviewed it :confused: ). So whilst this is still happening, those Vets who are the least bit tentative to change protocols will most likely be swayed by this and continue to want to do annuals, because they're still being told it's very necessary for the health of their patients.

There's one manufacturer of vaccines that still insist on vaccinating yearly (and even claiming that the AVA has apparently realised they made a mistake with the new policy and have reviewed it :confused: ). So whilst this is still happening, those Vets who are the least bit tentative to change protocols will most likely be swayed by this and continue to want to do annuals, because they're still being told it's very necessary for the health of their patients.

Can this manufacturer be named, Stormie? I didn't realise that ANY manufacturer of the vaccines had a change of protocol on vaccination frequency :confused: . I'm pleased that some have though .... that's a bit of progress, isn't it? Or am I somehow confused about this?

Aussie might be different, but over here Nobivac have a label claim for 3 years on their C3. Anything incorporating KC or lepto will still have an annual label claim though, because of that component.

Nice to "see" you around again. :)

Aussie might be different, but over here Nobivac have a label claim for 3 years on their C3. Anything incorporating KC or lepto will still have an annual label claim though, because of that component.

Ta for that. But do you mean by Nobivac's "label claim for 3 years" = 3 year vaccination or do you mean they accept the ordinary 1 year vaccination is good enough for 3 years. I know this is a common thing that is not clearly explained to the general layperson and I tend to get confused by intent as well.

Nice to "see" you around again. :)

Thank you :). This is my first day 'back' today, and I'm a bit 'foggy' ..... having to be careful that I understand things properly and so consequently I am careful about going over things again.