Help! My Dog Has Peed On People....

monique.c

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy

I guess I'm lucky Stan still squats(girly wees)at age 3 so he only wee's on his own leg :)

So does my male dog. He shows no sign of being interested in marking, in or out of the backyard.

I have been told by my behaviourlist that he is doing it as a sign of stress...im not too sure what he is stressed about :shrug:

Maybe you yelling "No pee!" at him all the time and then tieing him up so he can see all the fun but can't participate? If he pees anyway after you say "No pee", then he doesn't understand the cue. Time outs are a wishy washy punishment at the best of times. I don't know how a dog is supposed to gather from a time out that peeing is not on. If your dog doesn't know how to stop a punishment he will get stressed. Any animal will.

The general rule of thumb in behaviour is if a dead dog can do it then it's not a behaviour. Can a dead dog "no pee"? What is he supposed to do instead?

I'm with Corvus.. "NO" means nothing to a dog.

You'd be way better off to stop stressing about your dog peeing when out and about (its what dogs do) unless he's pulling on leash or doing it on people. Training will fix the first thing and a supervision and a good recall the second.

Tell him what you want him to do and reward him.. it can't be any less effective than what you're doing now.

Seriously, what's the issue with dogs peeing on a walk?? My dogs poo too. I pick up the poo and don't let them pee on folks lawns.. other than that, who cares?

Have you got any idea how uncomfortable it is to walk when you need to go?

I honnestly don't understand the issue either :confused:

ETA: he's a large dog. Before we introduced the no pee without command on lead rule, he could literally jerk you to a stop so he could pee on something - it just wasn't practical.

I'd call that a training issue. You solved it in one way but there are others.

Well I think it kind of helped him to understand what the walk was meant to be about. We walked briskly, but even if I run he only has to trot so he still has plenty of time to sniff the flowers. Now that he knows that when he's on the lead with me, he doesn't sniff, he doesn't stop to check things out and he doesn't stop to pee, well I think he gets that it's our pack walk thing. He likes to walk very proudly now at my side, holds himself up as high as possible and focuses on me and what I focus on - ie he gets that the walk is not just about being outside, it's about walking together.

Maybe it's easier with an entire dog, because given half a chance, he will mark, so it's easy to get him to pee on lead and I don't have to worry about creating a dog that will only pee off-lead.

I have been told by my behaviourlist that he is doing it as a sign of stress...im not too sure what he is stressed about :shrug:

Maybe you yelling "No pee!" at him all the time and then tieing him up so he can see all the fun but can't participate? If he pees anyway after you say "No pee", then he doesn't understand the cue. Time outs are a wishy washy punishment at the best of times. I don't know how a dog is supposed to gather from a time out that peeing is not on. If your dog doesn't know how to stop a punishment he will get stressed. Any animal will.

The general rule of thumb in behaviour is if a dead dog can do it then it's not a behaviour. Can a dead dog "no pee"? What is he supposed to do instead?

You'd be way better off to stop stressing about your dog peeing when out and about (its what dogs do) unless he's pulling on leash or doing it on people. Training will fix the first thing and a supervision and a good recall the second.

Tell him what you want him to do and reward him.. it can't be any less effective than what you're doing now.

Seriously, what's the issue with dogs peeing on a walk?? My dogs poo too. I pick up the poo and don't let them pee on folks lawns.. other than that, who cares?

Just out of curiousity, how many times would your dog try to pee on a walk if you let them whenever they like? Because if my dog only wanted to do it once or twice, I wouldn't mind either. But when it's in the double digits for a walk just down to the shops, well, it just gets a bit silly. Even when the tank is empty, he still stops, sniffs and lifts his leg to try. He has off-lead activity every day. Perhaps if I couldn't offer this, I would have to accommodate more of his desires whilst on lead, but as it is, I think one toilet break on lead is sufficient near the start, and then no more until off-lead.

Just out of curiousity, how many times would your dog try to pee on a walk if you let them whenever they like? Because if my dog only wanted to do it once or twice, I wouldn't mind either. But when it's in the double digits for a walk just down to the shops, well, it just gets a bit silly. Even when the tank is empty, he still stops, sniffs and lifts his leg to try. He has off-lead activity every day. Perhaps if I couldn't offer this, I would have to accommodate more of his desires whilst on lead, but as it is, I think one toilet break on lead is sufficient near the start, and then no more until off-lead.

Whippet and oldest boy poodle? Twice within the first few hundred metres.. they have a poo too. :rolleyes:

Youngest poodle boy does nothing. He's happy to toilet on lead at road stops etc though.

Poodle girl.. once on a walk.

If I let them sniff and scratch.. all will mark a good spot. Girl included!

Mine only pee a few times on walks, honnestly it dosn't take long for a quick pee and it dosn't phase me if we stop every now and then.

Each to their own I guess.

With the de-sexing thing, I actually don't mind too much if we do or don't desex him, I just figure if he gets out if he is de-sexed then he won't contribute to the stray dog problem... we have pretty good fences but accidents can happen. Also would he be more of a kidnapping risk if he is left entire? Being a purebred dog?

Yes he would be more at risk of being stolen if entire.

In cats and rats and some other mammals, desexing completely stops that sort of marking behaviour. In dogs, desexing may make no difference at all, or it might help only slightly.

What it will do is make the urine a lot less smelly and sticky, and it can make a dog less distractible when you are trying to train it out of some undesirable habits.

I would go ahead with desexing and because of this problem would do it sooner rather than later, in the hope the lowering of hormones will help with this behaviour.

The reason we were waiting was the growth thing, I thought that it was better for their development if you wait until they have finished growing? Is this right? He is 10 months now and weighs about 38kg so I think he would almost be done with his growing anyway...

i have taught him pee pee and No pee, but when we are in the dog park, i feel like an idiot if i walk around calling no pee and tieing him up constantly for time outs when he does pee ../../public/style_emoticons/default/embarrass.gif so its a slow work in progress, on our walks i dont just let him pee on everything, but soon as he is off leash he will run to every tree, and i have to call out no pee at everyone if i want him to stop ../../public/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif its frustrating

I couldn't do that to a dog ... forbid peeing off leash at a dog park and correcting/disciplining all the time NO peeing on leash unless given permission , and no peeing indoors etc . is a sensible rule ... .. when free running and in the presence of other dog scents /other dogs, though, It's a doggy thing to do ,IMO

yes so i have given up telling him off in the park, i do believe the same as you, its just embarrasing when he cocks on the seat...and someone is sitting on it :o as for the on leash yes i try to abide by that and indoors, well he doesnt pee in my house, but he has cocked in strangers houses so i have to watch him and i get agro at him when he does...yet it doesnt stop him from reoffending :shrug:

lol i dont just yell no pee and expect him to know what it means, i would stop him from peeing when i saw him about to say no pee and reward, now he knows that no pee means stop and move away (from whatever he was smelling) i guess i should just say leave it its the same kind of thing and he gets a treat when he does no pee, or he gets put back on leash if he doesnt abide

but i do let him pee and say Pee pee heaps on the walk, so i know he isnt busting :laugh: my boy also poos and i do pick it up like a good little citizen :D

fyi its not an issue with him peeing on a walk, its the issue that when i visit pple outdoor furniture and such are all fair game so saying no pee has pulled him up at a few friends houses...sometimes im too slow and he gets a squirt before i can call it :laugh:

It's not about making him hold it in, it's about not letting him pee on every single obstacle. When off-lead, my dog will pee a little bit on almost every tree, bush, sign, fence - you name it he wants to pee on it. So when he's on lead, I take him to one tree early on in the walk, tell him to go toilet, and then until he's off-lead (and there's an off-lead component of every walk), I don't let him pee. He doesn't even try anymore, doesn't seem to be an issue. As for holding it in, he holds it in all day whilst I'm at work (even though he's outside, he's just weird), and all night from about 9:30pm till 8am. It's almost comical when he does go, because he will pee for minutes at a time - we call it peeing for Australia, unless he's on a walk, in which case he will pee for a couple of seconds every couple of seconds.

yes my boy is the same will pee on every tree/obstacle we pass if given the chance, and he does when he is offlead

Yes desexing him will help, do it now if there is no reason why not (as said before) but he will need training too. It is a learned behaviour now so he will need to learn to not do it. find yourself a good trainer or training school for help, as you seem to be a little lost atm. its a solvable problem but you do need to know what you are doing

Thanks Annie,

I think I will call a behaviourist, hopefully someone here can give me some tips of some good ones in the Brisbane area because I would have no idea how to tell if someone is a good behaviourist or not. Snowy is my partner and mine first dog apart from family pets and I want to do the right thing by him...