Clickers

I used to do clicker training on the horses and it work very well, I can only imagine it works exactly the same with dogs.

The click is used instead of voice which is probably better in my opinion as the clicker will always have the same tone! When they do something correct, click then reward!

not sure where you can buy clickers from but I would be interested to know to!

thanks for your help :)

i've heard they're quite good for a lot of animals, hadnt heard about horses though! thats quite interesting hey.

i haven't seen them in the supermarkets yet, but i'll keep my eye out. i might just buy from ebay :)

Clickers are a precision instrument in training. They are especially useful when shaping movement. It takes practise to get good at using one, but you will certainly get results right from the start. As you get better you can target smaller movements and use it more subtly. The main thing to remember is to click for the smallest movements you can detect, click for movements you think are about to happen, and keep the reward rate very high. A click every few seconds.

Clicker training is brilliant just make sure you get some training or read a book on it first.

You can get good cheap clickers on ebay but try to avoid getting the cheap chinese copies i got a couple from china and they fell apart within a few days so i got one from someone in Australia on ebay for about $5 and have had it for ages and love it :0)

p.s i have clicker trained my chickens as well

My clicker is invaluable to me. Well not the actual clicker but the training that goes with it, I LOVE shaping and I use mine to start nearly all new behaviours.

I did a lot of work at the start to get my head around the timing and I think that was very helpful and paid off tenfold. I find myself sometimes even clicking my thumb to my hand when I don't have one because its an automatic reaction lol.

I think they are a great tool for certain situations (theres plenty of times when its just too much to juggle) and you can't beat their precision. I see a lot of trainers pushing them now and while the training philosophy is good, I see so many people that just don't understand it. I see so many people waiting for a behaviour, then as they take a treat out the dog stops the behaviour and then the person clicks as they hand over the treat.

I have clicker trained horses and dogs.

IT is very precise and once you have the mechanical skill of using it down pat you will go ahead in leaps and bounds with your training. It is a very precise, non emotional marker. Your voice is less precise and can carry emotion that may impact your training such as frustration.

I use a number of different traiining styles and clicker is one of them, I love the clicker for training things that need to be broken into many different small steps.

Clicker can be used for just about anything, it all depends on your skill as the clicker operator, timing is crucial.

I love clicker training. I wish I'd known more when my girl was a puppy and clicker trained her from the start. She picks up things so much quicker with the clicker and I find it much easier for her to understand what I want her to do.

Here's a site with plenty of info to get you started

http://www.clickertraining.com/whatis :)

Clicker training is brilliant just make sure you get some training or read a book on it first.

You can get good cheap clickers on ebay but try to avoid getting the cheap chinese copies i got a couple from china and they fell apart within a few days so i got one from someone in Australia on ebay for about $5 and have had it for ages and love it :0)

Oh really? I bought a couple cheap clickers from Hong Kong or somewhere (in April, I think..) and have had no problems. They do their job :laugh:

:rofl: What did you clicker train your chickens to do?

I have started clicker training again and playing some Control Unleashed games. We learnt about the clicker at puppy school but it was a pain to hold the lead, hold the treat and click at the exact right moment! However, I have started to use it again and Asti's attention and ability to respond to me has increased out of sight!

My question is - at what stage can the clicker be phased out for old 'games' and only used for 'new' ones? and how do you do it or will I have to wear a clicker and a bag of treats on me for the rest of Asti's frenchie life? :o

:rofl: What did you clicker train your chickens to do?

I have started clicker training again and playing some Control Unleashed games. We learnt about the clicker at puppy school but it was a pain to hold the lead, hold the treat and click at the exact right moment! However, I have started to use it again and Asti's attention and ability to respond to me has increased out of sight!

My question is - at what stage can the clicker be phased out for old 'games' and only used for 'new' ones? and how do you do it or will I have to wear a clicker and a bag of treats on me for the rest of Asti's frenchie life? :o

Clickers are only used during the teaching phase. Once the dog has learnt the behaviour you are teaching, it is reliable and on cue - you no longer need to use the clicker.

I have taught one of my chickens to jump through a hoop and taught one to put its foot on my foot. I want to teach them to do a little agility course but i need to make one first.

I also taught them to come when called but i think that is more to do with the food than the clicker lol

p.s Dogsportobsessed i was just unlucky i guess :0(

Just brought my puppy back yesterday and was trying to clicker train it today but to no avail :(

I tried the click, pause, treat method and she couldn't care less if I click or not and would walk away from me.

Have I done anything wrong? Why is she not responding to the clicks? Is the treat not rewarding enough?

I'm currently using her kibble as a treat. What kind of treats would you guys recommend?

I tried the click, pause, treat method and she couldn't care less if I click or not and would walk away from me.

Two things:

1. kibble is fine but only if your dog is hungry enough, most people would recommend a "treat" such as cooked chicken which is a bit more special

2. don't pause between click and treat, the data is very clear that the less time between click and treat the better. The exception is when your dog

"clicker-savvy", and for practical reasons you need a pause. Otherwise, no pause, deliver the reward as soon as practical.