Prefix How Long Before Using It?

Jsk

How long do I have to have a prefix before I can breed a bitch?

I have been told 3 different things by various people, I obviousley cant ring DQ now and I tried looking it up on DQ's website but my computer is being stupid and wont let me view anything.

I am talking about QLD if that makes a difference.

TIA

OK so it wont let me reply to this topic even though I started it, but I rang DQ and they said as long as the forms are lodged with them a bitch can be mated.

And Erin yes I know the info is on the forms but as I said in the original post by computer is being stupid and wont let me download the forms or even view them.

Edited by Josuki

Have you read the prefix application form? It states on the prefix application -

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST APPLICATION FOR A BREEDER’S PREFIX, YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE ANY MATING TAKES PLACE OR YOUR PUPS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REGISTRATION. IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THE REVERSE SIDE OF THIS APPLICATION.

The reverse side of the application states -

The granting of a Prefix is controlled by a Central Office (in Melbourne) for the whole of Australia and could well take up to NINE (9) WEEKS before being granted. This should be applied for in good time as you will not be able to register any litter of puppies until a Prefix has been approved.

I don't think there is a time frame you have to hold a prefix for before having a litter. You just need to make sure you have it before the bitch is mated as it can take 9 weeks to have the application approved. Even then if they throw out all your choices, it can take longer to re-submit more and go from there.