Yoda Wins Worlds Ugliest Dog Title

samoyedman

960798-dog.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/pretty-i-am-not-yoda-wins-worlds-ugliest-dog-title/story-e6freuyi-1226081959404

YODA'S short tufts of hair, protruding tongue, and long, seemingly hairless legs were enough to earn it the World's Ugliest Dog title at a Northern California fair.

The 14-year-old Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix won the honour today at the 23rd annual contest at the Sonoma Marin Fair.

Owner Terry Schumacher of Hanford, California,, said the dog had come a long way since she was found abandoned behind an apartment building.

Ms Schumacher said she first thought the pooch was a rat.

Yoda's distinction comes a year after a one-eyed Chihuahua named Princess Abby claimed victory.

A pedigree Chinese crested won in 2008 and another Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix was the ugliest in 2007.

In past years, the winner's owner has received a $1000 cheque.

I think these competitions are kind of sad. All these dogs usually possess some sort of deformity from birth by the looks of it (and also quite old--let's not even get into how they should be respecting these old darlings!)--it's like putting someone with Down Syndrome, Elephantitus, or some other disfiguring condition into an "Ugliest Person Competition". I dunno, I find it odd that they claim to love their pets, but enter them into freakshows like this.

Am I the only one who thinks these kinds of competitions are a bit.. off?

I think these competitions are kind of sad. All these dogs usually possess some sort of deformity from birth by the looks of it (and also quite old--let's not even get into how they should be respecting these old darlings!)--it's like putting someone with Down Syndrome, Elephantitus, or some other disfiguring condition into an "Ugliest Person Competition". I dunno, I find it odd that they claim to love their pets, but enter them into freakshows like this.

Yeah I'm with you Dju.

Yeah I'm with you Dju.

Agee 100%

Sam wasn't deformed, he was just plain ugly and could take a really bad picture

Yep, he was an old, hairless CC with a very devoted owner who had a sense of humour.

I like the fact that people can celebrate their dogs very unique looks. Most of these dogs are old, have tooth loss (hence the tongues hanging out) and my guess is both they and their dogs thrive on the attention.

I can't see the harm in it.

If Miss Lily goes bald (:eek:) with her lumpy freckled skin, she might have a new career in these pageants. ;)

i agree

Sam wasn't deformed, he was just plain ugly and could take a really bad picture

Yep, he was an old, hairless CC with a very devoted owner who had a sense of humour.

I like the fact that people can celebrate their dogs very unique looks. Most of these dogs are old, have tooth loss (hence the tongues hanging out) and my guess is both they and their dogs thrive on the attention.

I can't see the harm in it.

If Miss Lily goes bald (:eek:) with her lumpy freckled skin, she might have a new career in these pageants. ;)

Dusty can join her :laugh: He's a bit special with his ears and I can only imagine how he'll look when his teeth are all gone :eek:

Actually I find all kinds of pageants OFF.

I site "Toddlers and Tiaras" as my first exhibit!!!! My 18 year old daughter showed me an episode. It was like a train crash...I could stop watching!! Bizarre

And this is from a person who Shows dogs ;)

Edited by LizT

I don't think a dog would have any idea whether he was being awarded ugliest dog or most beautiful dog! All they'd know is that they're getting attention and as long as they enjoy that :shrug:

ETA - hmm, how I look back at the pic of Yoda it's hard to tell if she is enjoying the attention, she doesn't look thrilled. Sam on the other hand looks quite happy!

Edited by Saxonpup

I don't think a dog would have any idea whether he was being awarded ugliest dog or most beautiful dog! All they'd know is that they're getting attention and as long as they enjoy that :shrug:

ETA - hmm, how I look back at the pic of Yoda it's hard to tell if she is enjoying the attention, she doesn't look thrilled. Sam on the other hand looks quite happy!

Sam was a pro. Its worth bearing in mind that Sam was considered an unadoptable rescue before he found his final home. This years winner was a stray too.

I think Sam won the WUD comp for many years running. No idea why. :rofl:

ETA: It was three years running. Look him up on U-tube!

Someone called him "the Tiger Woods of ugly dogs". ;) I think he had his own peculiar charm.

worlds.ugliest.dog.sam.incognito.jpg

Edited by poodlefan