Should L Breed Again

Jodielass

I would want feedback from people who are for pro breeding .I know there is a lot out there who are negative on breeding.

I am a Labrador breeder.I bred for the first time.My girl gave birth to 10 healthy Pedigreed Labrador puppies.They are all in their new homes now.I got told from so many people how well l did and everyone was very happy with their puppies.I found the experience good too. :)

If i breed with my girl again it would be in 2 years time.

She gave birth to 8 naturally .She had a C section for the next 2 puppies who were bigger and high up.

I spoke to 2 vets and asked them if she had puppy's again would she need a C Section.They both said No and that next time could be competently normal births and i asked should i breed again and i was told YES

What do you think?

Well, whether or not to breed is completely up to you. For me, whether I wanted to breed a bitch again or not would depend on how the bitch-stud pairing worked last time, how well health wise, conformation wise and temperament wise the puppies turned out, how nice the bitch is in regards to health, conformation and temp, and what I had in mind to go on with in my lines.

I, personally, would breed only to keep something for myself to go on with, rather than specifically supply just for the pet market.

Edited by mr.mister

Seems like you have a bit of time to make the decision. Will you keep in touch with many of the owners of the litter you just bred?

I would be basing my decision on how the pups she has just produced turn out.

Breeding healthy dogs for pet homes is of value isn't it?? I don't think everything should hang on the show ring...

Of course. What I meant in my comment is that I wouldn't personally breed for the sole purpose of producing puppies for the pet market. I would breed for myself, and what I couldn't keep would end up in loving pet homes. The whole point of the show ring is to strive for breed betterment - that certainly isn't a bad thing.

Edited by mr.mister

Breeding healthy dogs for pet homes is of value isn't it?? I don't think everything should hang on the show ring...

Yes but why does someone deserve a potentially unregistered, un health tested, un thought out pup from a bitch who may or may not have good conformation to pass on to her pups. Even a pet runs and jumps and plays and pet buyers deserve dogs with good structure too, so that they won't get as many injuries.

I only asked about the show ring because I am wondering from the OP if the 'breeder' would know correct conformation for a healthy dog, and I am curious to see.

Edited by RallyValley

Yes My girl was hip and elbow scored and was below the breed average.The temperament of all the puppies were great very gentle and loving.Yes i do have a prefix name.

No i did not keep one but sort of feel like I did as the little chocolate girl only went to a friend in my street so we will be seeing her all the time.

Nobody wanted to show or breed so they have all gone as pets.

My girl is great now no affects from the C section.It is all healed now.The pups are now 10 weeks old

My girl is 2/2 years old now .I was happy with the sire although i will use a different sire next time

It's against the ANKC code of ethics

http://www.ankc.org.au/About-ANKC/National-Code-of-Ethics-of-Responsible-Dog-Ownership.aspx

Point 11

Edit to change point 12 to point 11 :o

But I mean breeding with the intention of improving the breed whilst knowing they are for pet homes if you don't show...seems to fit in with point 11

Yes My girl was hip and elbow scored and was below the breed average.The temperament of all the puppies were great very gentle and loving.Yes i do have a prefix name.

No i did not keep one but sort of feel like I did as the little chocolate girl only went to a friend in my street so we will be seeing her all the time.

Nobody wanted to show or breed so they have all gone as pets.

My girl is great now no affects from the C section.It is all healed now.The pups are now 10 weeks old

My girl is 2/2 years old now .I was happy with the sire although i will use a different sire next time

Thanks for answering some questions. :) I think I may have had you confused with someone else from a while ago who though health testing was having the vet say the dog was healthy.

I recommend a book like Structure in Action by Pat Hastings to read and if you can get your hands on a copy 'reach for the Stars' by Mary Roslin Williams, if you haven't already. These will help with assesing where to head with your breeding program by identifying what the strong points of your bitch and choosing a sire to compliment her weaker points. Maybe then you can even think about keeping a pup from the next litter and start showing yourself.

As far as this point 11 i concerned i gave the option for showing or breeding but nobody wanted to.The pups were defiantly show standard .In fact i was told by another breeder that one of my black boys would have made a fantastic stud dog.All parents and grandparents we all tested of health issues

As far as this point 11 i concerned i gave the option for showing or breeding but nobody wanted to.The pups were defiantly show standard .In fact i was told by another breeder that one of my black boys would have made a fantastic stud dog.All parents and grandparents we all tested of health issues

Well hopefully next time you can keep one yourself and try your hand at showing. :) Do you show your girl? Or retrieving/obedience any other sports ect? It can be a great way to meet people who would be interested in purchasing a future pup for showing purposes.

I don't want to start an argument but is it really possible to tell at 10 weeks that a puppy of any breed is show quality and Stud quality? Isn't it a bit young?

Just curious, do you show your girl?

I don't want to start an argument but is it really possible to tell at 10 weeks that a puppy of any breed is show quality and Stud quality? Isn't it a bit young?

Just curious, do you show your girl?

It is possible to tell show potential I would think. Definately not stud quality as hip scores ect. But if you couldn't tell potential that young breeders would have to run on the whole litter to decide on thier next showdog.

At 8 weeks a pup is supposed to be a miniature version of the dog it will mature into... then you close your eyes until it's mature and ignore all the ugly growth stages in between.

At 8 weeks a pup is supposed to be a miniature version of the dog it will mature into... then you close your eyes until it's mature and ignore all the ugly growth stages in between.

Er that would depend on the breed and the family within that breed. With one of the families I have if I waited until 8 weeks I would have missed the prime time to pick which is 6 weeks, with the other family I have picked them at birth for 3 generations now and not regretted any of the decisions I have made.

OP - I think your actual worry seems to be will having a second litter from a bitch who needed a caesar create a problem for the bitch or their progeny - and the answer to that is you just never know as it depends so much on why the bitch needed a caesar (which you have explained a little about)

If the bitch is a high quality example of the breed both physically and mentally and the pups she produces (when they grow up) are a cut above the rest - no not necessarily every one of the 10 :laugh: - then it would be worthwhile to breed her again, even in a popular breed like Labs there aren't enough good quality pups out there.

I wouldn't ask the opinion of the breeder who was so sure a dog pup at 10 weeks would make a good stud dog.

I know the Guide dogs policy is not to breed from bitches that have had a caesar, as they believe it is more like to require that procedure again. However they are a large organisation and have a number of bitches to choose from. they also have extremely strict policies, due to their size. I am not sayining you should follow their policy, I am just mentioning it as they are generally labs, and they see some risk in this practice. You have however consulted your vet and got a second opinion. You do not seem willing to put your girl through something you consider dangerous. You have time up your sleeve, you don't need to make your descision today, or tomorrow. If you leave your options open I believe you will know when the time comes what to do.

Your question is

Now my girl has had one ceasarian is she likely to need another one if I breed her ? Yes ?

There is no way of knowing. She may be absolutely fine or she may not.

If you do decide to breed her & she has to have another one then desex her.