Gumtree Against Puppy Mills

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

This is probably old news, :laugh: but I just came across this whilst browsing for some kids toys....

linky

Yay, good for Gumtree :D :thumbsup:

Guest Willow

Far out. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Still, I suppose if all the idiots are gathered in one place it's easier to keep an eye on them.

You've lost me??? :confused:

Interesting and good to know that education is starting to finally take root in people's minds. I was surprised when the last two enquirers on some foster dogs this week have both brought up the subject of puppy farms etc. Good on Gumtree, it's a start.

Except that it was added in October last year, and I've seen plenty of dodgy repeat selling on there since then.

Guest Willow

Interesting and good to know that education is starting to finally take root in people's minds. I was surprised when the last two enquirers on some foster dogs this week have both brought up the subject of puppy farms etc. Good on Gumtree, it's a start.

Except that it was added in October last year, and I've seen plenty of dodgy repeat selling on there since then.

Report the sellers then.

Far out. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Still, I suppose if all the idiots are gathered in one place it's easier to keep an eye on them.

You've lost me??? :confused:

I am saying that Gumtree is a haven for irresponsible dog selling, and that people farming in backyards and elsewhere regularly use it. I am also saying that if they did enforce their policy properly, people would have to move on elsewhere, and at least at the moment you can keep an eye on what is happening there.

I have two rescues in my loungeroom at the moment from a repeat offender who regularly sells on gumtree.

I'll confess that I haven't looked on Gumtree for months (causes computer to crash for some reason), it certainly was full of moronic bybs and puppy farmers before.

Most people don't know what to look for really and some just don't care - they just want what they want now and no questions asked.

People getting rid of dogs can be just as awful - I found a purebred, papered Golden Retriever advertised as "Free to good home, not desexed, OK for breeding" - it was a new and I rang straight away only to be told by the owner that "I gave him to the first person that called and I've had lots of calls since". My reply was "I hope it wasn't a puppy farmer" and the owner said "no" but how would they know? Person probably seemed Ok when they turned up to collect the dog, who knows where the poor soul is now, let's hope it is a good home. In this part of Sydney it is all too easy for them to turn up at some pounds and pick up the purebred young dogs who are sold undesexed and freebie ads are even more appealing, no paperwork to worry about.

People getting rid of dogs can be just as awful - I found a purebred, papered Golden Retriever advertised as "Free to good home, not desexed, OK for breeding" - it was a new and I rang straight away only to be told by the owner that "I gave him to the first person that called and I've had lots of calls since". My reply was "I hope it wasn't a puppy farmer" and the owner said "no" but how would they know? Person probably seemed Ok when they turned up to collect the dog, who knows where the poor soul is now, let's hope it is a good home. In this part of Sydney it is all too easy for them to turn up at some pounds and pick up the purebred young dogs who are sold undesexed and freebie ads are even more appealing, no paperwork to worry about.

:( There are rescue groups that monitor FTGH/stupidly cheap posts on GumTree and grab the dogs/cats where they can to be desexed and rehomed responsibly. It's how I ended up with these two. Hoping he went to a group like them, not to a farmer. :crossfingers:

I think also there is a group who sends a standard email to FTGH posts for entire animals on GumTree warning them about the risks of rehoming an entire dog.

Gumtree never placed this advert, I did!

I paid $10.00 to list it & thought what's $10.00 if it could educate some people who clearly have no idea.

I got many emails from people who were really pleased about the advert being place but also got some hate mail.

Gumtree removed the advert and labelled it offensive to others. I am in the middle of writing a response to them but I hardly think it will do much.

I always try to contact people on there that are giving away or selling undesexed adult dogs & send them this info. It has managed to help a few dogs so far.

I'm going to tell gumtree that I find their rules re:listing pets offensive & very wrong.

Was really hoping this advert would help but of course it's been stopped by people who clearly don't care about the long term damage of over breeding.

Interesting fact tho: the advert was up for 2 days on Adelaide gumtree. Had over 2000 hits and during the two days not 1 dog was advertised on there that wasn't desexed!!!

Also gumtree hasn't refunded my money..lol

I think also there is a group who sends a standard email to FTGH posts for entire animals on GumTree warning them about the risks of rehoming an entire dog.

This was actually in a newsletter from DRP a few days ago- http://fully-aware.com/ Sums things up pretty nicely and includes pictures.

Gumtree never placed this advert, I did!

I paid $10.00 to list it & thought what's $10.00 if it could educate some people who clearly have no idea.

I got many emails from people who were really pleased about the advert being place but also got some hate mail.

Gumtree removed the advert and labelled it offensive to others. I am in the middle of writing a response to them but I hardly think it will do much.

I always try to contact people on there that are giving away or selling undesexed adult dogs & send them this info. It has managed to help a few dogs so far.

I'm going to tell gumtree that I find their rules re:listing pets offensive & very wrong.

Was really hoping this advert would help but of course it's been stopped by people who clearly don't care about the long term damage of over breeding.

I'm confused.. you're saying you wrote the article mentioned in the OP? :confused:

I posted the article and added some other stats & info that I thought might be helpful for people to know while I had their attention. Added a few extra rescue links etc..

You wrote an article outlining Gumtree's pet policies and their stance on puppy mills?

Or.. you pasted a link to that article in an ad you posted?

The paid advert that was put on gumtree (see the original link on this discussion topic re: advert placed on gumtree, this is the full advert that I placed) was a paid advert that I placed.

I posted an educational article about de-sexing and rehoming dogs. I got some of the information from the original article from 'Fully-Aware' and then added some other important info that was sourced via some other rescue websites etc.

I knew that the 'average person' may not know some of this info or even think to look some of these great informative sites up, so thought Id pay for an advert on gumtree under their 'pets section' in hope that it would educate people & help stop so many entire dogs being given away or advertised.

Gumtree is an overseas website that write their own rules & regulations (although I wish I was able to re-write some of their pet regs for them)

Wow Hardy's Angel..I didn't think it would be so hard to understand?? Hope this makes it easier for you to understand..Not sure how I could make it any easier??

Gumtree didnt place their own advert under the pets classifieds section, the advert was paid for, placed and contents was re-written & edited by me. I placed it exactly as you would if you were advertising a pet but instead it was this article. I titled it 'Please Read Before Re-homing Your Pet' and used some pictures from puppy mills to grab peoples attention.

I paid $10.00 to place it on Gumtree, as I wanted it to appear constantly at the top of the listings to gain more exposure.

Edited by PeiPei

The paid advert that was put on gumtree (see the original link on this discussion topic re: advert placed on gumtree) was a paid advert that I placed.

I got some of the information from the original article from OP and then added some other important info.

I knew that the 'average person' may not know some of this info, so thought Id pay for an advert on gumtree under the pets section in hope that it would educate people & help stop so many entire dogs being given away or advertised.

Gumtree is an overseas website that write their own rules & regulations (although I was I was able to re-write some of the pet regs for them)

Wow didn't think it would be so hard to understand??

When you allude to mysterious adverts that no one else mentioned and then make claims to have written something (and then back-pedal and mention taking information from the original article), yes, it gets rather confusing ;)

I got some of the information from the original article from OP

So, you didn't write the article from the OP, thanks for clearing that up.