Can't Believe This

Michelleva

I just came across an ad on one of the classified sites for two bernese mountain dogs, male and female for sale UNDESEXED! They specifically say on the ad no puppy farmers or dealers.. Do they really think a BYBer is going to tell them what they really plan for these dogs. If they really have to rehome, why can't they just desex first.

I'm going to ring and say just that.

I just came across an ad on one of the classified sites for two bernese mountain dogs, male and female for sale UNDESEXED! They specifically say on the ad no puppy farmers or dealers.. Do they really think a BYBer is going to tell them what they really plan for these dogs. If they really have to rehome, why can't they just desex first.

I'm going to ring and say just that.

:eek: thats really cruel, poor dogs. we've come across many shady characters when we advertise dogs not desexed wehen we were just beginning and very green, believing the best in people and find it is not so unfortunately, so now we desex. protect our dogs!

There are 1000's of dogs undesexed free in the papers everyday. What makes these guys any more special? Many simply can not afford the fee.

Well how much do Bernese puppies sell for these days? At a guess $1000-$2000 each. Don't you think someone can put two and two together with the idea to make lots of $$$. Surely its not that hard for you to figure out.

There are 1000's of dogs undesexed free in the papers everyday. What makes these guys any more special? Many simply can not afford the fee.

Well how much do Bernese puppies sell for these days? At a guess $1000-$2000 each. Don't you think someone can put two and two together with the idea to make lots of $. Surely its not that hard for you to figure out.

As are many other breeds free to good home. Many reg. breeders do the same thing, many dont.

Not very clever to be bringing more attention to it either.

Edited by Chewbacca

Yes ,There are thousands of dogs and dog owners that need help everyday.You can not help them all.But isn't it nice when you can help some of them rather than turn a blind eye and just whinge about them.

If a rescue is one of my breeds, then to me they are more special and I will allocate my resources accordingly. I am not saying any one dog is intrinsically worth more in the eyes of God/The Universe/Whatever but in the face of finite resources, you have to prioritise it the way you see fit.

This being a pure breed forum, I guess others see things the same way.

Yep there are thousands, but if a Whippet came up I would put that as my first priority as mentioned I cannot save them all, so I will try to help out where I can.

Also if a dog/puppy of mine was in a FTH ad I would like to think that maybe another person with a soft spot for whippets my try very hard to bring the add to my attention if possible so I could get my babies back.

Edited by OSoSwift

A little hypocritical to complain about assistance being sought for individual dogs when you've done it yourself.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/221020-urgent-foster-care-needed-in-melbourne-for-beautiful-gsd/page__p__5327094__fromsearch__1#entry5327094

If a rescue is one of my breeds, then to me they are more special and I will allocate my resources accordingly. I am not saying any one dog is intrinsically worth more in the eyes of God/The Universe/Whatever but in the face of finite resources, you have to prioritise it the way you see fit.

This being a pure breed forum, I guess others see things the same way.

Agreed. If this were my breed, we would want to know and would be all over it as soon as we did. Am glad that the Berner folks have now been alerted and can deal with it. Big fluffies like Berners and Pyrs are not backyard bred in big numbers and that is largely due to that fact that breeders and others who love the breed are proactive and MAKE every individual of the breed they love special. And we want to keep it that way - not throw up our hands and say 'it is just one dog of many - why bother'. That attitude gets you nowhere. There may be thousands of dogs out there but at least we can make an effort in the breeds we love to see they dont go the same way by responding quickly when situations such as this arise. Well done guys.

Edited by espinay2

Great to hear that the berner ppl are onto these 2 dogs.

I do breed specific rescue which does not mean i think other dogs are less worthy, it jsut means i have chosen to focus on my specific breed. I think its a rather narrow view to consider any breed specific rescue as belitting the worth of other dogs in need. I choose to do breed specific rescue because i know my breed, I am able to rehome this breed to the right sorts of homes, we have a great network of breed enthusiasts who will assist me, plus I really feel for my breed when they are in pounds etc as they simply do not cope due to thier temperament.

I see breed specific rescue as a great rescource for all breeds rescues, as they can hand these dogs over to us without having to worry about them - leaving them more room and resources to rescue the remaining dogs.

I do breed specific rescue which does not mean i think other dogs are less worthy, it jsut means i have chosen to focus on my specific breed. I think its a rather narrow view to consider any breed specific rescue as belitting the worth of other dogs in need. I choose to do breed specific rescue because i know my breed, I am able to rehome this breed to the right sorts of homes, we have a great network of breed enthusiasts who will assist me, plus I really feel for my breed when they are in pounds etc as they simply do not cope due to thier temperament.

I see breed specific rescue as a great rescource for all breeds rescues, as they can hand these dogs over to us without having to worry about them - leaving them more room and resources to rescue the remaining dogs.

A great explanation of the benefits of breed specific rescue Indigirl. :thumbsup:

A great explanation of the benefits of breed specific rescue Indigirl. :thumbsup:

I am actually a breed specific rescue coordinator and am fully aware of the way things work. Just sick of the dismissal of non ANKC registered dogs as they are obviously valued differently. I do get your passion of specific breeds hence my position, however due to the tiny amount of dogs they we get through we would rather not waste our resources and provide a service to all breeds on a small scale as we value all dogs. Sorry, been a shocking week and should not have responded.