Territorial Dog

W Sibs

This can be a stupid and I'm probably worrying about nothing but Emmy is very territorial dog.

We have handyman coming over to fix the house and whenever she has the chance, she will try to run them out of the house - she gets crated. As long as she can keep an eye on that person, she keeps quiet. I, once, locked her outside one time, and she carried on as though the world was ending for the whole 1 hour and 45 minutes the phone guy was over. The plumber, electrician, real estate people etc who comes over are a little scared of her (don't blamed the on how she carries one when they get to the door and how she stalks them when they are inside). The Woolie delivery person doesn't come to the front door because how Em is carrying on. He waits till I put her in her crate before coming anywhere near the front door (he has comment that she is a lot scarier than his GSD :o )

I'm only mentioning this is because for the next few weeks, the landlord is going to do some changes to the house and there will be workmen coming to the house more often (I seriously can't wait to buy a house!).

She is great when my housemate and I get home from work. She sees us through the door and quickly runs to either sit on the couch or on the mat and wait for us nicely to get to the door, and say Hi to her. Then she runs off and gets a toy and gives it to us. She doesn't have any source guarding issues.

When people she knows that comes over, she barks a little then realises who they are and she is all happy for them to come in.

From what I can see.. she only has issues with strangers coming into her house and doing stuff in there without her permission!

I definitely feel safe when strangers comes over and do work on the house. She will keep a good eye on them but at the same time, I don't like seeing her so tense and riled up... I'm still not sure what's the right thing to do about it?

Right now, handyman comes in and she goes into her crate and lays in there and watches them do their work. If she can't sees them for a moment, she starts barking; she gets a firm 'Uh' from me and she just lays there quietly but she doesn't relax. She doesn't fully relax till they go.

What do you guys think? Do you have a territorial dog and how do you guys handle it?

ETA: Just want to add that Emmy doesn't generally like strangers normally.

Edited by CW EW

I have one that is happy to let someone in once I've said hello and shown that I'm happy to receive them. This is my ideal. My other (who was abused, not an excuse but a reason for her behaviour) and she is very territorial. She even rips off the fly screen! She carries on like a pork chop when someone is at the door and then:

i) shuts up as soon as they enter. If they are scarey this typically happens.

ii) gives growls and then goes away

iii) charges them - if she thinks she can take them on.

She either gets crated now when kids/smaller adults come over for a few hours, or she goes on "special holidays" with Cosmolo if it is for longer than that. I am trying to use counter conditioning to help with this, but it is hard because visitors are often unplanned and you have to focus on your guests and not your crazy dog. I'm actually thinking of hiring my nephew to come over for a few hours, ring the bell, come in, click treat repeat repeat to help resolve.

ETA: Have you tried putting her on a lead and playing "look at that"?

Edited by megan_

I recommend you seek professional help for this ... I always worry one day if I am ill/fall over, and someone has to come in .. what if they get growled at/nipped ... ? Our dogs are a bit like Emmy - but, being miles from anywhere it is a handy trait .

In suburbia I would not tolerate a dog with those behaviours that couldn't be 'switched off' . The potential for mistakes is too high :(

I have one that is happy to let someone in once I've said hello and shown that I'm happy to receive them. This is my ideal. My other (who was abused, not an excuse but a reason for her behaviour) and she is very territorial. She even rips off the fly screen! She carries on like a pork chop when someone is at the door and then:

i) shuts up as soon as they enter. If they are scarey this typically happens.

ii) gives growls and then goes away

iii) charges them - if she thinks she can take them on.

She either gets crated now when kids/smaller adults come over for a few hours, or she goes on "special holidays" with Cosmolo if it is for longer than that. I am trying to use counter conditioning to help with this, but it is hard because visitors are often unplanned and you have to focus on your guests and not your crazy dog. I'm actually thinking of hiring my nephew to come over for a few hours, ring the bell, come in, click treat repeat repeat to help resolve.

ETA: Have you tried putting her on a lead and playing "look at that"?

We have had people coming around to knock on the door and stuff but she is clever to know it's training. It's a total different vibe and feeling. Even when they do it randomly and I use different people too. I may call her a ditz and a bimbo but there is no deny that she's a clever one.

But I will try the Look at That game with her. I haven't thought about it! Thanks!!

I recommend you seek professional help for this ... I always worry one day if I am ill/fall over, and someone has to come in .. what if they get growled at/nipped ... ? Our dogs are a bit like Emmy - but, being miles from anywhere it is a handy trait .

In suburbia I would not tolerate a dog with those behaviours that couldn't be 'switched off' . The potential for mistakes is too high :(

Yeah. My head is telling me that I probably should talk to someone about this.

I'll be seeing Steve from k9pro at his sydney workshop... I'll bring this situation up with him too to see what he says :)

Mindy carries on when people come to the door and also when they stand in front of our property.

We've had delivery people refuse to come inside because she sounds so vicious and she also looks really scary- think big black dog with hackles up and very big shiny white teeth :o

I really doubt she would actually do anything though, she is all bark and no bite.

Steve was really great at explaining why this behavoiur isn't really desirable- definitely speak to him at the workshop.

We now crate Mindy whenever someone comes to the door which makes everything much more relaxed and the visitor feels more comfortable.

Doing this doesn't diminsh their ability to protect/warn you should an actual undesirable person approach your home uninvited.

We recently had some drunken people hanging outside our house. All I have to do is bring Mindy to the door and show her and she starts barking.

Also when my sister comes home at 2am Mindy barks and carries on (poor sister can't ever sneak in unnoticed lol).

Mindy carries on when people come to the door and also when they stand in front of our property.

We've had delivery people refuse to come inside because she sounds so vicious and she also looks really scary- think big black dog with hackles up and very big shiny white teeth :o

I really doubt she would actually do anything though, she is all bark and no bite.

Steve was really great at explaining why this behavoiur isn't really desirable- definitely speak to him at the workshop.

We now crate Mindy whenever someone comes to the door which makes everything much more relaxed and the visitor feels more comfortable.

Doing this doesn't diminsh their ability to protect/warn you should an actual undesirable person approach your home uninvited.

We recently had some drunken people hanging outside our house. All I have to do is bring Mindy to the door and show her and she starts barking.

Also when my sister comes home at 2am Mindy barks and carries on (poor sister can't ever sneak in unnoticed lol).

Naww.. I can't imagine Mindy being scary. she is such a sweetie :)

When she carries on with people walking pass, I go to the door and see what she's barking at, and tell her that it's ok and she is all fine.

It's just people coming to the door is now the issue..

Boonie is the complete opposite - he's happy to see anyone turn up, people he's met plenty before, people he doesn't know. he doesn't bark or anything - we know someone is there because he'll bolt to the door/back deck with tail(should I say whole back half of him) wagging - couple of pats and he trots back to where he was sitting.

Only time he's ever got territorial is if a scrub turkey has got in the back yard - but I think he was just hungry - oh and the time we were camping and some cows decided they wanted to wander into our area - that was the one and only time I've seen his hackles raise and a low low growl come out of him.

My Zeddy will carry on like a great big vicious dog when anyone comes to the front door, but as soon as I say hello and let the person in, she is the biggest tart demanding cuddles...

Recently I was very sick and had to call an ambulance to take me to hospital... I actually dragged myself around to get the dogs contained before they arrived... *sigh*

T.

My Zeddy will carry on like a great big vicious dog when anyone comes to the front door, but as soon as I say hello and let the person in, she is the biggest tart demanding cuddles...

Recently I was very sick and had to call an ambulance to take me to hospital... I actually dragged myself around to get the dogs contained before they arrived... *sigh*

T.

I wish Em was a little bit like that..

Ohhh.. :hug: i hope you're feeling a lot better now!

I would not tolerate it. You are in charge of the house - not her and she needs to recognise this. I would be seeking professional help for it as I'd be concerned it will escalate even further.

Sounds pretty normal to me for a JS. They are very vocal about strangers invading their territory but happy to welcome people they know. Try putting her on a lead and making her focus on you with some commands and treats once you have let the stranger in. That puts you in charge and lets her know that you are not worried about the stranger. Personally, I like having a dog that reacts like that to strangers coming to the house but always ensure that I can control them and calm them down once I have allowed the stranger in. It ensures that no one casing out places to come back and rob, will ever bother with a house with a dog like that. :D Over the years I have usually had one dog at a time act as the guard dog. Always the pack leader and as each one passes on the next one takes over guard duty.