Need Info Re Pregnant Bitch

sharpeiple

She's just had her first puppy, It's black and seems a normal size. She's eating all the placenta so looks like she knows what to do. All I need now is some sedatives for me!

Oh Dooley, it's going to be a long day.

Hope all goes smoothly for her (and you) today. Have yourself a nice stiff drink when she is all done and dusted! :thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so much better than daytime television.

If you find yourself with pups that you can't manage (once they're weaned of course) don't forget you can always list them on urgent rescue for a rescue group to rehome them. You won't make any money, but you won't lose any sanity either. :)

Paula

C.A.R.A.

We are up to number 8. She's been pushing out one every 15 minutes or so. We are a rescue group, so hopefully we'll find some foster carers for them once they are ready to be weaned. They will all be desexed, wormed, chipped and started on heartworm before they go anywhere. I lose about $50-100 for each dog we rehome, but it's worth it!

We are up to number 8. She's been pushing out one every 15 minutes or so. We are a rescue group, so hopefully we'll find some foster carers for them once they are ready to be weaned. They will all be desexed, wormed, chipped and started on heartworm before they go anywhere. I lose about $50-100 for each dog we rehome, but it's worth it!

Don't forget to count in at least $100 - $150 per puppy for food to raise them. The mum will need at least 3 times her normal ration for a few weeks and once you start to wean, you will not believe how much food they can put away between 3 and 8 weeks. The puppies and mum need to wormed every two weeks.

I've had helpers here this afternoon while I've been out, but I'm happy to say that we have 11 healthy pups.

Thanks so much for everyones support, I needed it. Mummy dog is sound asleep while we are rotating pups on nipples, i think she is just happy to feel safe and warm.

I've had helpers here this afternoon while I've been out, but I'm happy to say that we have 11 healthy pups.

Thanks so much for everyones support, I needed it. Mummy dog is sound asleep while we are rotating pups on nipples, i think she is just happy to feel safe and warm.

Eleven is a huge litter for a Border Collie to raise and a lot of puppies to find homes for. Glad she got them all out ok and that you survived the whelping as well. Well done on coping with a difficult situation. Depending on the Mum's physical condition, I really think culling some might be a good idea. If the Mum is in peak conditon and you have homes lined up 11 is do-able but a lot of work. Even among purebred registered breeders, very large litters are sometimes culled down in breeds that are difficult to find the right homes for and accidental crossbred litters are usually culled down if not able to be aborted. It is all about being responsible and not adding to the numbers of unwanted dogs. I know you work in rescue and will make a decision based on your current situation but a lot in rescue don't realise that culling is still carried out sometimes by responsible breeders to keep the numbers down.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Eleven is a huge litter for a Border Collie to raise and a lot of puppies to find homes for. Glad she got them all out ok and that you survived the whelping as well. Well done on coping with a difficult situation. Depending on the Mum's physical condition, I really think culling some might be a good idea. If the Mum is in peak conditon and you have homes lined up 11 is do-able but a lot of work. Even among purebred registered breeders, very large litters are sometimes culled down in breeds that are difficult to find the right homes for and accidental crossbred litters are usually culled down if not able to be aborted. It is all about being responsible and not adding to the numbers of unwanted dogs. I know you work in rescue and will make a decision based on your current situation but a lot in rescue don't realise that culling is still carried out sometimes by responsible breeders to keep the numbers down.

I know it's a lot, and I certainly would have aborted had she come in earlier, but each pup will be desexed, chipped, vacced and started on heartworm prevention prior to leaving us. All adopters sign a contract that states the dog must be returned to us in the event that the person can no longer care for it, so ultimately we take responsibility for them for the duration of their life.

I believe that their lives are as precious to them as ours are to us, and could never consider culling. We are in a regional area where the average block of land is about 160-1000 acres, so the chances of them finding good responsible homes are better than average. They will have a home here with us until the perfect person comes along. And they always do eventually! Mum is in pretty good condition all things considered, as I believe other people were feeding her when they realized the owner wasn't, she's now parvac'd, wormed and flea treated, so I think she'll cope alright with the rigours of motherhood. Us women are tough. :D

When my Lab girl had 9 pups we fed her lots of chicken wings and puppy milk formula (Biolac or Di-Vetelact can be bought in big tins from pet supply places like Petbarn).

Keep an eye on the smaller or weaker pups and try to make sure they get as much mum's milk as possible - if you can convince the larger and stronger ones to have some formula once or twice a day, that will make them less pushy with the littler ones and will take some of the pressure off mum dog's milk supply. Also feel up mum dog's teats daily to make sure she doesn't develop any hard or hot spots, those can be signs of mastitis, and you definitely don't want that... hand feeding 11 pups is no walk in the park...

A vet check of mum and pups in the next few days will also put your mind at rest as far as everyone's health is concerned.

Congratulations on your new arrivals... and don't be shy to yell if you need any help, OK?

T.

I know it's a lot, and I certainly would have aborted had she come in earlier, but each pup will be desexed, chipped, vacced and started on heartworm prevention prior to leaving us. All adopters sign a contract that states the dog must be returned to us in the event that the person can no longer care for it, so ultimately we take responsibility for them for the duration of their life.

I believe that their lives are as precious to them as ours are to us, and could never consider culling. We are in a regional area where the average block of land is about 160-1000 acres, so the chances of them finding good responsible homes are better than average. They will have a home here with us until the perfect person comes along. And they always do eventually! Mum is in pretty good condition all things considered, as I believe other people were feeding her when they realized the owner wasn't, she's now parvac'd, wormed and flea treated, so I think she'll cope alright with the rigours of motherhood. Us women are tough. :D

Does this last line .....parvac'd, wormed and flea treated,......mean that you vaccinated an in whelp bitch?

If it does mean that, then you may have a big problem in vaccinating the pups. If this is the case, the bitch may have passed on the anti bodies and it may be nigh impossible to vaccinate for that disease. Please note I did say may. :)

Fair enough if you are sure you will be able to find enough homes for them. I suppose in a rural area BC crosses would be fairly popular. The most heartbreaking thing I found working for a shelter, were the people who invested so much time and money into rearing unwanted litters from strays only to find that they couldn't find homes for them. When they couldn't find homes they would surrender them to the shelter but we had 10 times as many surrendered as we were able to home, so most medium to large breed litters were pts the day they came in. At that time they were mostly Cattle Dog, GSD or Bully breed crosses and hardly anyone ever wanted those types of puppies. We had no problem finding homes for small breed puppies but they rarely came in.

As a rescuer in Victoria, I've never had any trouble rehoming puppies, no matter size. We've certainly found that Border Collie puppies or Border Collie Xs are actually pretty popular, so I'd think that they will be easy enough to rehome. :-)