Puppy On Heat

melstar-36

My bitch cylced at 18 months as did her grandmother, many are around the 8month mark.

Anyway, read and research and ask questions, you will always get some that help and some that well don't - there is an ignore function :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melstar 6 months is young, its usually around 8-9 months.

If you are interested in showing I am willing to help you navigate scary group 1. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please PM me.

What a lovely generous offer BB :)

My coolie is 8 1/2 months old and she hasn't had a season yet, I was expecting one at six months. My friend said that with a pup in the house that would bring her in but it hasn't so far.

My pugs came in season at 9 and 10 months, the Rotties came in at 7(x2) and 8 months.

They will come in when they are ready - while the average bitch might be around 6 months I know a few who came in at only 4 months. I know many who came in at 6 months old but none of them were mine. Just the luck of the draw.

Edited by Andisa

i have been reading books and researching like mad for well ove a year, my main interest is showing but i dont want to embrass myself by jumping in the show ring without any knowleadge.

Jump into the show ring, that is where you get the knowledge.

Don't jump into breeding without that knowledge, without knowing what you are breeding for, because that really would be embarrassing.

You won't really know until you have done the showing whether the bitch you have bought is suitable for breeding. If not, enjoy her as a pet.

Hehe, thanks Doggeek - very tech geeky savvy of you. Yeah I know the breed profile, wanted to see pics of her two if they are indeed King Charles Spaniels. ;)

Hmmm - I can see why you are doubtful - seems very strange to me that a Registered breeder knows so little about dog behavior.

Scary isnt it lol

Well Tobie not all breeds come in at six months, my breed for instance, French Bulldog, you are lucky if they come in by 12 months of age and even later for the first time, I also think that the Basenji is the same and because it is one of the more "primitive" breeds only cylce once a year, I stand to be corrected, so from just these two examples I am guessing you have not done your research on this on all breeds so I think your critisism is out of order.

The OP is dong the very best by asking here and she has received a lot of very good advice and BB you are an angel to offer her the help around scary ring one, of course that is no exception LOL try the other six LOL

What are you going on about :confused: . All I have said is a person wanting to breed should do research and learn things before jumping into breeding and yes know about when to expect their breed to come into season especially if they are wanting to breed so you carrying on claiming I don't know when breeds come in season is not relevant to what I have posted. If you think it is ok for people to have no idea about the basics and to just start breeding without learning or doing research well that's your opinion and I disagree. I beleive that a person should do everything they can to educate themselves and gain as much experience themselves before even considering breeding dogs. I thought the true difference between a registered breeder and a BYB was that the registered breeder actually had more knowledge about their choosen breed and had some idea of what they were doing and went out of there way to improve the breed. How can someone improve a breed if they have no idea what they are doing. Generally I thought the average registered breeder started out showing and them after learning over time and getting good results with there dogs they would go onto becoming a reg'd breeder as they had some knowledge plus met alot of experienced people to help them to start out.

My apologies if I am wrong but by the original post I got the impression that she just went out and bought a dog and a bitch with the intention of breeding and that all she had done was become a registered breeder and nothing more. She did say her grand-mother was her mentor which confused me why she did not ask her grand-mother about this in the first place.

To the original poster I apologise if I was incorrect and assumed wrongly about you. I hope you do take up the generous offers you have received so that you can learn as much as possible before breeding.

I agree with you Tobie.

It is a concern that somebody would be so embarrassed by their lack of knowledge that they feel they cannot even show their dogs, and yet they have gone out and bought a 'breeding pair' with no knowledge.

Is showing really the main interest? Why isn't the grandmother providing better mentoring? I think the OP is going to need to get a lot more knowledge before they are in a good position to decide whether to breed from their dogs or not.