Hi All! New To Dol :) Few Q's

onetonne

i'm new around here and have just bought my first puppy. Ari is a 9 week old JRT and the first puppy i have purchased. previously i've always purchased adult rescue dogs.

these forums have been a wealth of information! i'm feeling very confident in raising him properly thanks to all the advice here. the only issue i'm having that i couldn't find any info on is Ari chewing things. he's enjoying chewing my clothes while on my lap, and my blanket and sheets while playing on the bed. i'm redirecting him every time to a chew toy straight away, but wondering what else i can do? i'm not using any punishment yet just lots of praise when he starts chewing his chew toy instead of the blanket/clothes.

and lastly, when is the best age to have him neutered? is it worth it? he will be coming to work with me a few days a week (tradie) and i'd like to do agility at my local club when he's older.

thankyou!

Hi we've been having a similar problem with our pup Paddy. He chews everything and especially loves chewing our shoes even when they are on our feet! We tried giving him a tap on the nose and telling him no but it didn't really work, so weve just been distracting him with his toys and rewarding him when he chews the right thing. He had also been nipping our hands sometimes when playing so we have been putting a treat in a closed fist to encourage him to lick rather than bite. We've only had him for three weeks and he seems to be getting better although we are hardly experts and may be doing things the wrong way but this is what we've tried!

My puppy zorro is chewing everything!! We use a rolled up magazine and smack him on the bottom it doesn't hurt him but it make a loud noise then I give him a toy he can chew. If he gets to carried away I put him in the laundry till he calms down ( or if you are using a crate then put him that till he calms down) it's your dog so it's up to you if desex him or not.

I believe that 6 months is advised - as soon as he can cock his leg is what I've been told. Only leave a dog entire if you're going to show and/or breed responsibly :)

Our pup is a chewer but it's just about vigilance to make sure it's the right thing being chewed ;)

thanks guys :) good to know i'm doing the right thing hopefully! he's already stopped chewing cables which is reassuring! moved on to cushions and shoes on feet now but it's 90% chewing toys which is great :D

have read lots on desexing on these forums since yesterday. 6 months-ish seems to be the average.

desxing will be well worth it as once he is more mature and going out to jobs with you, you would never know if there is a bitch in season nearby. Even if you kept him confined, he might very well decide to let everyone know what he thinks of this treatment by barking his head off! So to speak :D I'd get him desexed between 6 and 8 months