Vaccinations

Have just been away visiting our new property, was advised by family member to get c7 vaccination before i bring my dog down. I have a feeling that both his pups ended up with corona virus (could be wrong). My dog will be 12 years old, which upon a very quick look looks like might be okay not to have it, but the area is rampant with rabbits, foxes, and rats/mice. My dog isnt due to go back to vet before I leave but if I need to get vaccination done, I will.

I should also add we have 10 cows and I will be owning a horse, so I think I will definitely have to investigate it some more.

Are dogs the same as humans, the young and old (er) are more succeptible (sp??)to picking up viruses etc.

I believe that the Coronavirus that infects horses is different to the one that infects dogs, so I don't believe dogs can contract it by eating horse faeces. They can contract it by eating infected dog faeces though.

I have horses and never had an issue.

I believe the C7 contained Corona and Lepto??

If Lepto is an issue yeah maybe you need it but from what I have heard the corona part doesn't fully cover them anyway and they can still get corona?? MIght be wrong though.

OSS I also have a horse and our dog isn't C7 vac and growing up we had cows & horses and our dogs also never picked this up. I only 'learnt' of this possible contraction from horse manure when searching for our pup and a breeder passed this information on as they only C7 vac for this reason!

However I had never heard of it and growing up all our dogs ate horse poop. The kelpie is 16 now and still eating it and only ever been C3 vac. :laugh:

Corona is like a very bad gastro bug but has a very good survival rate.

Given the area has a high Rat issue then i would be considering C7 for the Lepto aspect & there has been issues with outbreaks of certain health issues due to the floods.

C7 is an over kill in most cases unless you are in a very high risk area with rats .

They can also contract it from eating horse manure too right? I could be wrong but I heard of this not long ago.

If your dog is teething or has any wounds or punctures in the area of the mouth then yes,it is possible for Tetanus to enter the system that way.