Do Breeders Like To Hear From Their Sold Puppies?

Guest _MADCAT_

I took my 8 months old puppy to the vet and was told he had one undescended testicle.

When talking with the breeder I informed him of this (not expecting anything from him: refund or another puppy). The breeder asked me after several months if the testicle was stil "undescended" and I answered "Yes". After that call I haven't heard from him inspite of having sent him photos and updates. Why? I was so disappointed! I love my dog so much, but would never buy another puppy from that breeder.

Sadly I think this is often the big test. Anyone can be pleasant when looking for a sale or when things are going well. It's how someone reacts when something unfortunate happens that counts. Both breeder and buyer.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nahh

ive never had a breeder really interested in the pup once its home with me

sad cos i found out one had an allergy

and there were other minor issues from time to time

i think that it is pretty hard to see your first few litters go but then having masses of puppies making messes isnt all that great either so some breeders might be quite relieved to have them in new homes especially as they grow bigger

i do understand it...you have to be bit hardened and you do need to be wary of the stalker that might be....the new owner who tries to start up an unwanted relationship in what was originally just a business transaction for many people

i get it

I have a similar issue with my bitches breeder.. she hardly ever emails me back any more.. i wont be going back to her in the future i know that much..

the breeders arent doing themselves any favours cos i know that if anyone asks who to talk to to get a pup from i now recommend other breeders that i know.

why? The breeder of my bitch is not big on communication but I would go back to her again. Shes breeds great dogs.

I hope that when I get my puppy early next year that our breeder doesn't mind us updating him. Should I ask him before hand?

I know that if I ever got into breeding I would love it if puppy buyers updating me on how they were doing. :)

Funny thing happened today we ran into the breeder we acquired our bitch off ( who also owns the stud dog that was put over our girl), she was very happy how our boys have progressed. she was lucky to watch me training Sarge, I didnt see her :D

she thinks we will go places with both boys, my daughter is doing agility with Dodger & Mum, I will be putting Malika through Endurance next year :D

The breeder commented its great to hear how her kids & grandkids are going no matter what they are competing in conformation or sports, she is happy

The breeder of the dog we bought as a puppy loves to get updates. The breeder of the dog we rescued doesn't give a shit about her or us and only cared about if the dog was desexed. She also refused to look up the proper name of the dog.

We got our rescue dog from the breeder as she was returned twice in 5 years and was up for rehoming through their rescue service. They are Facebook friends with me and whenever I post anything about her, I get lovely comments about how happy they are she's now got a fabulous home, and they are thrilled with her progress in herding.

We do whatever we can to support our puppy buyers, many of whom are novices or may not have had a puppy for many, many years. I have made home visits to deal with all sorts of issues (minor to me maybe but major to the puppy owner).

My last home visit was to look at my 6 month old pup and determine why he was scratching so much. When I got there, I was not happy at all with his condition (underweight and absolutely no coat) or the diet that he had been put on, so we spent about 2 hours going over things with his carers (he is "owned" by a very rich person that has his staff care for the dog) and I was pleased to hear that he had improved immeasurably.

We try to provide email and phone support for those people that we cant visit - I've had some very strange late night phone calls from puppy buyers! My theory is that if there is a problem and I can help the family deal with it, that's one dog that will be staying with his family, not rehomed or send to the pound or back to me! I want my puppies to be with their families for life and that means being available as much as people want me to be. :)

Guest Angel88

So good to see all the good stories of breeders keeping in touch and treating their puppies like extended family. Next pup I'll be getting will definately search more for a more hands on breeder.

Next type of puppy I'll be getting is a German Shepherd for work next year (going to start doing security work soon so want a working line shepherd and once he's old enough putting him through his training)

Thought I'd post some updated pictures of frank and his buddies. He is almost 6 months old and weighs just over 30kg.

imag2222.jpgOur 14 year old cat Max and Frank watching the world go by

imag2236z.jpgFranks friend Diddy (our friends dog)

imag2287.jpgFrank passed out (please ignore the dirty floor!)

imag2291.jpgFrank today posing after I put my car away (pardon his lipstick!)

imag2293.jpgAnd finally frank today at the dog park with his buddy Dozer the Rottweiler and the 6 month? old husky.