Seeking Willing Assitant For A Service Dog Handler

Tapua

Hi everyone

I am looking for a willing assitant to assit a young man who is blind and physically disabled in the Newcastle area. Michael bought a baby lab from me who is now 10 months old. Juke - the dog - is in harness and working well however he is reaching an adolescent age where he seems to be missing or disobeying some signals that previously he never missed. Michael the owner and trainer is accomplished with his training however he would like the assistance of a pair of eyes that are unbiased and does not know the dog to feed back to him how the dog is behaving in response to commands.

When I was looking for trainers who might assit Michael when Michael first got his pup, there was someone in the Newcastle area willing & interested. If you are that person or anyone who is willing to take directions from Michael and able to feed accurate information back to him and you live in the Newcastle area please PM me. Michael fully understands the limitations of Jukes age and may need assistance for a couple of hours a couple of time just to get a hold on what Juke is doing. I garuantee for a dogloving person you will learn heaps about how dogs learn and be enriched by this team.

He cannot afford to pay a wage to anyone for their time but he will happily buy you some wine or cook a great meal.

A bit of background with Michael he is blind from Diabetes and he has a gammy leg which he needs to use a crutch to walk with sometimes. Eventually he will end up in a wheelchair and this pup is to replace the dog he trained as his guide/assitance dog who itself is going blind due to PRA. Michael does not qualify for a guide dog because he is disabled and he does not qualify for an assitance dog because he is blind. Micheal and Juke are a great team and Juke is a keen and willing learner. If there is someone in the Newcastle area willing to assit please PM me or phone on 63450027 and I will give you the contact details and any further information you need.

Edited by Tapua

OK update - there is a possibility that wages will get covered - I am still looking for a trainer in the Newcastle area willing to work with Michael & Juke. I have one person interested but she cant start till August so if thre is anyone available sooner that would be great.

Edited by Tapua

Pacers will cover either a wage and or insurance.

Anyone got an idea on where we can start to look. Jigsaw has offered help but is not able to help out for a few weeks and we would really rather have a hand before then if possible - so anyone inthis area or anyone who knows someone in this area who may be able to help out?

Could someone from assist or guide dogs help- esp if there is a wage involved?

Maybe ASDOG might be willing to help? They seem very nice and also train their puppies young (guide dogs don't start their dogs until 18 months).

No these were approached in the beginning and whilst they are great in helping with advice etc they are not able to help hands on due to their regs and insurances.

Could you possibly approach the local dog obedience clubs? They often have members with a very high level of skill who volunteer as instructors, or who trial at a high level, and you just might find someone who would not only love to do it, but also be very good at it.