Wandering Which Small Breed

Hi Just wandering which small breed dog has the same temperment/personality as a large dog say like a golden retriever. I love the temperment and personality of large dogs, would like to know which small breed dog has the same as a large dog.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends, I guess.

What are you looking for in a dog? What kind of temperament are you looking for?

I've meet some really awesome GR but, then again, I've also met some real nutters too.

My 5kg dog has a huge personality..

Edited by CW EW

Pekinese remind me of large dogs. They have a calmness that you don't see in many other small breeds.

A golden retriever is a gun dog. A Brittany or Cocker spaniel might suit you as they are also gun dogs, although different from a Golden Retriever and smaller.

What is it about the Golden Retriever that you want to see in a small dog? What is it about small dogs that makes you ask your question?

Hi Just wandering which small breed dog has the same temperment/personality as a large dog say like a golden retriever. I love the temperment and personality of large dogs, would like to know which small breed dog has the same as a large dog.

Too many variables to make a call. There are a wide range of temperaments in "large dogs".

I like Tibetan Spaniels because they have a self-possessed quality that's usually associated with big dogs.

Our tibbie girl, NIna Zena, has a slightly less snubby nose than usual & carries her tail slightly lower. With her golden colour, strangers sometimes say she looks like a shrunk golden retriever.

They're very much household companion dogs, thro', thriving on being housedogs with a garden for toileting & play.

So there's lots of other factors that'd go into considering a small dog.....of whatever breed. So I guess you'd be thinking of those, too?

Edited by mita

what I want in a small dog

friendly towards everyone won't choose just 1 person

doesn't shed much

size wise something like a cavalier

fairly easy to train

don't mind playing with a larger dog

I don't mind grooming I brush Shelley alot I also brush Rascal often too

The breeds that I love the look of are

poodles

cavalier king charles spaniel

papillon

A bit about what I love in Shelley my golden retriever

She loves everyone she meets

she isn't a 1 person dog

she is loyal

easy to train

she obeys me more so then anyone else

Poodles need regular clipping and grooming.

Either it has to be done regularly by a professional or you need to spend a fair amount of money on gear and learn to do it yourself.

You won't get change out of four figures for the amount of gear required to set up for home grooming a poodle properly.

Personally I think the Toy and Miniature Poodles have quite notable differences in temperament to the Standards.

ETA: I just did a rough estimate of what it would cost me to replace my grooming gear. About $2000 and that's a conservative estimate.

Edited by poodlefan

Either it has to be done regularly by a professional or you need to spend a fair amount of money on gear and learn to do it yourself.

You won't get change out of four figures for the amount of gear required to set up for home grooming a poodle properly.

I don't mind taking a poodle to a groomer to be clipped every 4 to 6 weeks. Probably keep a poodle in a lamb trim and brush often. I love the toy poodle so cute my mum loves them too, My boyfriend on the other hand doesn't like them to him they look to girly.

I don't mind taking a poodle to a groomer to be clipped every 4 to 6 weeks. Probably keep a poodle in a lamb trim and brush often. I love the toy poodle so cute my mum loves them too, My boyfriend on the other hand doesn't like them to him they look to girly.

Remember that will be ~$50 - 60 per groom, and that is if you find a cheapie

Remember that will be ~$50 - 60 per groom, and that is if you find a cheapie

Going rate around here for a decent job is $80-$100 for the smaller poodles. That's for someone who actually scissors some parts of the groom.

A largish miniature poodle would probably fit the bill.

With grooming it depends where you live. I am cheap and do a gorgeous job (with scissoring) for $40 and there is a certified master groomer (who would be one of the best poodle groomers in Australia) who lives in the next village, grooms from home and would do you poo for $50. Some of my clients lived in larger centres befor tree changing and used to pay ridiculous amounts for very ordinary groom.

A largish miniature poodle would probably fit the bill.

With grooming it depends where you live. I am cheap and do a gorgeous job (with scissoring) for $40 and there is a certified master groomer (who would be one of the best poodle groomers in Australia) who lives in the next village, grooms from home and would do you poo for $50. Some of my clients lived in larger centres befor tree changing and used to pay ridiculous amounts for very ordinary groom.

Pity you don't live around here Fru Fru :cry:

I love big dogs, but when the time comes for me to have a small dog I will be getting a Papillon. I've met plenty of them, they are smart, fast/active and usually not yappy like many small breeds can be. As far as small dogs go, I think they rock!

I wouldn't be so sure!! Seen plenty of them at agility, and boy do they yap their socks off!

But I think if I went the small dog route, a Pap would be a lot of fun, got a lot of big dog spirit!

I love big dogs, but when the time comes for me to have a small dog I will be getting a Papillon. I've met plenty of them, they are smart, fast/active and usually not yappy like many small breeds can be. As far as small dogs go, I think they rock!

Are you kidding? I've yet to meet one that isn't!!! The ones I know are all dogs sports dogs too.

Edited by poodlefan