Professional Handler

ljonk5

Just wondering from other dolers, when is one a Titled a "Professional Handler"

Eg: Does one title themselves with such a name or

is there a age in years they have been around the show ring that they get this title or

is it how many "Best in Show" awards they have won etc....

I am just curious on the thoughts from "other handlers" what they think is a Professional handler.

is there a age in years they have been around the show ring that they get this title or

I am just curious on the thoughts from "other handlers" what they think is a Professional handler.

To me a "professional handler" is a person who is paid to handle dogs for others. In the USA its probably someone who does it full time for a living. Not sure that's possible here.

I don't see it having anything to do directly with experience or wins but its unlikely you'd pay someone to handle for you if they weren't good at it.

Edited by poodlefan

For me a true professional handler is someone who is the complete package.

conditions & grooms & handles the dog .

A Handler to me is someone who can be paid or assist friends in handling a dog in a manner that is highly competitive & brings the best out of that dog & breed.

Age can be as early as .

Wins do play a factor BUT assessing a teamwork between handler & dog is first & foremost

To me a "professional handler" is a person who is paid to handle dogs for others. In the USA its probably someone who does it full time for a living. Not sure that's possible here.

I don't see it having anything to do directly with experience or wins but its unlikely you'd pay someone to handle for you if they weren't good at it.

To me this pretty much sums it up. To be a "professional" at something i think it just means you make a living from it. You dont necessarily need to be qualified or even good at it i guess.

To me this pretty much sums it up. To be a "professional" at something i think it just means you make a living from it. You dont necessarily need to be qualified or even good at it i guess.

Sorry I'd have to disagree with some of that. To me a "professional" is someone who is paid to do it, not necessarily makes a living from it. I used to be classed as a "professional" ten pin bowler and that was because I won money playing the game, not because I made a living from it...

As a newbie i see a professional handler to be one who is respected by many to be excellent at handling. I don't think its got anything to do with years in the ring as i've seen many experienced show people who aren't the whole package. By whole package i mean having all the skills to show the dog in the best way possible. Posture impeccable, speed to show the dog off best. Good training of the dog to free stack and hand stack. A presence that supports the dogs temperament. Good presentation of themselves and respect for other showies.

they know how to get the most out of a dog.

There are a heck of a lot of junior handlers in our country at the moment who would be good enough to be paid professionals!

there sure are, I wish some of them would show my boy, but seems like they're already in high demand.

Professional by definiion means there is money for payment of services, but many toss the label around and don't really fit it.

I didn't consider myself professional until I had regular clients that both lived with me and were in my care for the show weekend, and did all aspects of showing which yes, included grooming but also included training time outside the ring. I had contracts with the owners that allowed me permission to do any vet care needed and treat the dog as it were my own when it came to anything it might need to keep it happy.

My dogs were left in crates if a conflict of showing occured. The client dogs came first, and I never took dogs out of the same group as it created a conflict at the group level.

At one point, I was showing about fifteen per show and often we had two shows per day. Made for a hard weekend with all the lugging of crates around and exercising of dogs. I was fortunate to have some juniors that helped. I was hired to take specific dogs to specific shows, in the states for example at specialty events or big cluster shows where there were majors to be had. My expenses were covered (motels/travel/meals) and a fee for handling the dog and all that came with it. I represented that dog, both in the ring and in photos for advertising and it was my job to provide the best care and presentation possible.

I stopped being 'pro' a few years before I left Canada, having only a few ring side clients to tend to (albeit wire coat terriers that needed plenty of pre ring grooming!) I scaled down and enjoyed my own dogs again after a lot of time where it was a job