Vaccinated Versus Non-vaccinated

Actually the recommendation is not for three years unless you use the 3 yearly vaccine. It isn't just a case of giving the normal vaccine 3 years apart...

The WSAVA recommendation is for veterinarians to give the C3 MLV to adult dogs no more often than every 3 years, except in special circumstances, regardless of manufacturer licensing claims.

http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf

Agree with others that this thread is not a very good sample for which to make a decision on whether or how often to vaccinate a dog.

When i said about it being a personal choice;i meant from the point of view that i have no right to advise others about what is the right thing to do with their animals.IMO

However i do believe that vaccination is the way to go.Anyone can be informed about a disease,but when you have experienced it first hand as i have you never want to go through it again.I would rather my pup had had a reaction to a vaccine than seen her fitting and foaming at the mouth and knowing that nothing could be done for her.

Jetty;She had always had the one that you puff in the nose,sorry not sure what one you call it.We lived next door to dog breeders and groomers and the people behind us had mates who visited with random dogs.My usual vet was always happy to give her usual vaccinations,but that time i saw another vet.He was quit gruff about it and seemed annoyed about me wanting her to have it.He just kept insisting she no longer needed to have it.So i trusted what he said,I will always feel guilty and wonder if she would have got sick if she had been done...There was no mention about her age.

edited for clarity.

There are several varieties of canine cough, there's no guarantee she caught the variety that she would have otherwise been protected against if she had the vaccine (if that makes sense).

There are some research papers that suggest over-vaccination can lead to cancer. I find it interesting that most vaccinations in humans are supposed to protect them from that disease for the lifetime of the human being (80+ years) while we can't expect that vaccinations in dogs can last on a measly average of 10 years.

I would rather my pup had had a reaction to a vaccine than seen her fitting and foaming at the mouth and knowing that nothing could be done for her.

you do know your dog can die from a reaction to a vaccine too, or be put down because of it?

There is a risk both ways, it's up to the individual to make their own informed choice.

Who would be so irresponsible not to vaccinate their beloved animal. :mad (Excluding medical reasons of course.)

it's called making an informed choice.

An informed choice..... what to let your animals die from Distemper, Hepatitis or Parvo should they be exposed to these diseases. That in my book is not an informed choice, that is just plain fool hardy.

(Excluding medical reasons)

or they can die from over vaccinating or live a life full of misery from the reactions some have when over vaccinated.

Who would know better than me ...whom has this happen to them........as in both cases quoted by you. :)

But I still vaccinate. :)

Guest english.ivy

I would rather my pup had had a reaction to a vaccine than seen her fitting and foaming at the mouth and knowing that nothing could be done for her.

you do know your dog can die from a reaction to a vaccine too, or be put down because of it?

There is a risk both ways, it's up to the individual to make their own informed choice.

This^ .. Your dog; your choice.

My six year old Pointer died from cancer, she was vacc yearly on the dot. Our Dalmatian was vacc yearly on the dot too, she ended up being really sick and put down at around nine. I'm not blaming the yearly vacc but I have my suspicions.

My two now will have their booster and then that is it, unless they need to go into boarding kennels.

There may be a risk both ways - to vaccinate or not to vaccinate. ;)

Somebody old and wise once said:

"It is those who vaccinate who protects those who doesn't."

I don't ever want to see any dog with distemper or parvo, least of all any my own dogs.

I titre test and the Vet we use is very supportive, and very interested in the results.

Titre testing over 5 yrs in a multi dog household gives him lots of information. :thumbsup:

Edited by LisaJ

Yes Rebanne;I do know a dog can die from a reaction to a vaccine;I still choose to vaccinate.English ivy covered it.

Herd immunity is an unproven idea. Much reduction in disease over the years can be equally attributed to better care, nutrition and hygiene.

Vaccinated dogs can and do still die of Parvo.

Here we go THESE DAYS we have better nutrition and hygiene - I hate that argument whether its dogs, horses, people its only used by the young who think we've emerged from the dark ages in the last decade. Sorry but wherever I've lived and even before that back into the 60s has been pretty damn clean and healthy food (food hasnt changed THAT much) and our dogs were vaccinated from at least the 80s onwards (probably before I dont remember that). As were the humans due to science finding vaccines to prevent or minimise some nasty diseases that were around. Australia was not a third world country back in the 60s and even the 50s hygiene and healthy food has always been available. Even in the 40s people arriving from England were amazed at the locals and how casual they were about good healthy food being in the supermarkets. Better care? Our dog always went to the vet as needed and came inside the house and seemed very happy with their treatment - they even had a towel heater in their kennel for winter when it was below zero and that was in the 80s.

AS far as Im concerned if I knew a dog owner didnt vaccinate (or at the very least titre test every year to make sure they had immunity) I wouldnt want my dog near their dog or places they go - though obviously going to local parks you never know what other dogs have been there.

ETA - unless the dog has a medical reason not to be vaccinated akin to people who were allergic to eggs being unable to have various vaccinations.

Edited by rubiton

Herd immunity is an unproven idea. Much reduction in disease over the years can be equally attributed to better care, nutrition and hygiene.

Vaccinated dogs can and do still die of Parvo.

Just like people wearing seat belts can and still do die in car accidents.

Actually the recommendation is not for three years unless you use the 3 yearly vaccine. It isn't just a case of giving the normal vaccine 3 years apart...

Not any more. AVA recommendation is annual vacs every three years

Not any more. AVA recommendation is annual vacs every three years

And last time it came out it was using the correct type of vaccine - something to check with the vet not just to go 'oh well the dog is fine I read it on the internet I wont go to the vet for 3 years'.

Last time I was at the vet one dog came out and theywere saying that it was due in another 3 years so I assumed they had been using the particular product that is made for the three yearly vaccination.