Raw Bones

Hi,

My 8 month old Ridgeback might have a bone allergy or is really sensitive to raw bones (beef, lamb, chicken), she normally develops diarrhea after having a bone and she becomes a little funny too. I started scraping out the marrow because it's so rich, but she still has problems.

So I was hoping there was something else I could give her to keep her amused for most of the day to chew on.

A normally give her a filled Kong and also fill up one of the balls with dried food, but she needs something extra because those items plus her toys aren't enough.

Pigs ears and pork sticks last only 5 minutes.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks!

What sort of bones are you feeding her? leg/brisket/chicken frames/lamb necks ... what sort? I second roo tails!

and, can you describe what you mean here? :)

she becomes a little funny too.
Edited by persephone

I find any marrow bones too rich as well, but have fed chicken & lamb with no problems. Kangaroo bones are good too, but nothing that would last all day, maybe a whole tail would work, havnt tried the deer antlers yet! Some of the others I have tried are:

cows hoves - very tough, my girl gets fed up and abandons them after about a week but recon a ridgie would do well with them :D

rawhide treats - love these, the bone shaped ones, dont buy cheapies, good ones will last for ages

I get a lot of my treats from http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au as i am remote and have to shop online for most things :)

I find roo and marrow bones can cause the runs at my place ... chicken frames, chicken wings, turkey wings, turkey necks and brisket bones are the preferred here - but they don't last all day and are usually fed as a frozen bundle.

Maybe some dry food in a soft drink bottle...

Edited by Tilly

What sort of bones are you feeding her? leg/brisket/chicken frames/lamb necks ... what sort? I second roo tails!

and, can you describe what you mean here? :)

she becomes a little funny too.

Sorry, I mean her attitude is a little different. Like a sick child that becomes really needy. She's just not her usual self.

I've tried legs, necks, frames, brisket. And I slowly started eliminating them realising her stomach is just too sensitive.

BCPuppy: I've been advised not to feed Ridgebacks cow hoves and I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere too.

I might try the roo tails and see how she fairs. Otherwise I'll find the rawhide because I know she doesn't react to it.

Thanks!

Guest english.ivy

I avoid raw hide, when I'm not sitting there watching like a hawk. I've had it stuck between their teeth and they can't get it out themselves. Freaked me out after it happened a few times so now it's a big no no in our house.

Do you freeze the kong? It lasts much longer - my staffy can get everything out if it isn't frozen in about 5 minutes but when it's frozen it lasts her about 2 hours.

I would be careful with giving large weight bearing bones (such as marrow bones and any long bones from cattle)often because they have the tendency to wear down teeth - it's usually ok with smaller dogs because they don't have the jaw power, but your Ridgeback would probably end up with very worn down teeth if you gave these types of bones regularly.

I agree roo tails are a good option, but I really wouldnt be giving hard bones every day. Be careful with rawhide too if you are not supervising your dog as it can be dangerous if swallowed in large pieces (It swells many times in size once wet). Usually a few chemicals such as bleach are used in the production of rawhide too so I personally don't use it often. Maybe buy another kong?

Edited by arielle

Thanks Arielle,

My partner and I discussed it last night and did some research. We agree that rawhide is no good and will more than likely buy another KONG. Yes we do freeze her current Kong with sweet potato mash or a rice blend with veg.

sweet potato mash or a rice blend with veg.

as a growing pup, she doesn't really need this starchy stuff. perhaps make up some thick chicken broth (no salt) just boil up chicken bits(skin, bones,gristle) - when cooked, take out the bone . then add some pieces of kibble .. maybe two or 3 liver treats to get some good scent in there. let broth set in the fridge overnight plug the end of the kong with peanut butter ..pour in teh broth, and freeze. :) MUCH more dog- appropriate food - and the smell will attract her .

the best bones for dogs are those which can be completely chewed up and eaten :) (they are also the ones which may not upset her tummy)

sweet potato mash or a rice blend with veg.

as a growing pup, she doesn't really need this starchy stuff. perhaps make up some thick chicken broth (no salt) just boil up chicken bits(skin, bones,gristle) - when cooked, take out the bone . then add some pieces of kibble .. maybe two or 3 liver treats to get some good scent in there. let broth set in the fridge overnight plug the end of the kong with peanut butter ..pour in teh broth, and freeze. :) MUCH more dog- appropriate food - and the smell will attract her .

the best bones for dogs are those which can be completely chewed up and eaten :) (they are also the ones which may not upset her tummy)

I find I need (and have been recommended) to feed her sweet potato or rice to help reduce her diarrhea, it's not everyday, but only when she has reacted to bones or a change in diet. It's worked for the past few months, so I'm happy sticking with it.

Your broth suggestion sounds great, I might give it a try. we have boiled some of her hard toys with chicken broth before.

As for the bones, we've decided we can't give her any. Her stomach is just too sensitive and it runs in her bloodline. Her mother couldn't have bones either.

Have a look at this site http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/

They have drid tendons etc that are quite hard. I stay well away from the dried bones as to me they are as bad as cooked bones. But have used the dried Roo Flaps and tendons, beef tendons and Whizzers among others. I have a dog that can have bones, but cannot handle much fat at all so we get him beef ribs that have very little meat on them and he can handle those just fine. He can't handle turkey necks (I don't feed chicken necks due to the size)and chicken frames or lamb flaps. He can handle lamb shanks that are well trimmed of fat but they are VERY expensive.

I mix up the rib bones with the dried treats and it seems to work well.

I second the deer antlers, best money I've spent in a long time. I bought two, but after a couple of months of power chewing, he's still gnawing away on the first one.

I have never fed these, but was wondering if they might wear the teeth down :confused: