12month Old Gsd Still Chewing

best4koda

I'm a very frustrated GSD owner at the moment. Lover her but she is driving us nuts. I know it's a wet week and not only she is suffering with cabin fever so to speak. She is chewing greatly still. I mean I have just come inside from going made at her for destroying one of outdoor wooden chairs again. One problem is her bite seems far stronger then our previous male dogs. As in she destroys things within a minute or too, really crunches things. Wood she just can't seem to leave alone. I thought she was getting better until the last week or 2. I'm sure our other 2 had started to stop chewing by now, yes sure if you left something obvious out they might get chewed but most things were safe.

I've gone mad at her for it. Busted her in the act. Used bitter spray, chilly paste to try to stop her.

Does anyone have suggestions? so frustrating.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what training and exercise do you do with her?

Perhaps she is a little bored and understimulated?

Maybe she would enjoy an active sport such as agility, tracking, herding etc or even some formal obedience classes?

Even just doing 10-15 mins of training twice daily can improve their behaviour a lot. There are plenty of fun and more useful things you can teach her :)

If its really bothering you, get a professional to assess her and your situation. I would recommend K9Pro (www.k9pro.com.au) in NSW.

She was doing Obedience with GSD club but she was hard to control due to high drive and her not responding to any collar we used. Since then I was able to consult with a friend who trains dogs professionally. Which has helped heaps with the lead work and we now can walk her behaving within reason. I try to walk her 3 times a week or more. We have been working hard on her being allowed in and sitting on her bed instead of running all over the place, teaching her fetch etc. Yes this week she is bored as in sydney it's been teeming with rain all week. Mind you the more exercise the more off the planet she seems to be and we also get more destruction as well.

We've always obedience trained our dogs but this one is a different kettle of fish (dog).

She was doing Obedience with GSD club but she was hard to control due to high drive and her not responding to any collar we used. Since then I was able to consult with a friend who trains dogs professionally. Which has helped heaps with the lead work and we now can walk her behaving within reason. I try to walk her 3 times a week or more. We have been working hard on her being allowed in and sitting on her bed instead of running all over the place, teaching her fetch etc. Yes this week she is bored as in sydney it's been teeming with rain all week. Mind you the more exercise the more off the planet she seems to be and we also get more destruction as well.

We've always obedience trained our dogs but this one is a different kettle of fish (dog).

I've always wondered why people are so scared to walk their dogs in the rain. Personally theres nothing I love more then going for a long walk in the rain, then jumping in a nice warm shower when I get home.

Sounds like she has abit of cabin fever.

She is also crated at night and when we aren't home to limit her destruction as well.

being young, and high drive and energetic... just what do you DO with her on a daily basis to keep her mentally stimulated ? She is a bit like a coiled up spring .. keep a spring pressed down for too long and it will bounce up with HEAPS of energy !!

I have just come inside from going made at her for destroying one of outdoor wooden chairs again.

..and this obviously doesn't work :(

Does she get played with/treats/attention when she IS being quiet and lying in her crate, or with you? How much time does she spend inside with you ..learning to not use her mouth on things other than chew toys/bones?

perhaps contact K9 pro (steve) .. LINK and perhaps have a read of one of his articles -LINK

I think it would help you greatly to have an experienced professional - used to working with high drive GSD's at your side :)

I've always wondered why people are so scared to walk their dogs in the rain. Personally theres nothing I love more then going for a long walk in the rain, then jumping in a nice warm shower when I get home.

Yep :) I usually do go out in the rain .. the dogs enjoy it - it's a bit of sensory stimulation for them .. with the raindrops, the different smells , etc

Yep, I too walk in the rain and actually prefer it as less dogs are out walking too but haven't been able to this week, I was sick and also had my 4yr old home with suspected pneumonia (spelling). I'm a stay at home mum so I spend quite a bit of time with her on a daily basis. I'm aware of K9pro and have contacted previously but thought I would post on here to see what everyone suggests or perhaps it's an age thing and I just got lucky with my previous males before spending money which of course maybe money well spent in the end but there is a budget as well.

Please don't get mad at her for being destructive when she's only bored :( maybe try hiding treats and toys around the yard?

More challenging things for her to do.

Don't worry we are very patient and loving owners. But I did catch her in the act so yes I used my angry voice but nothing more. Unfortunately this little lady can't have manufactured treats and still is on a restricted diet to a food allergy that sends her to the vet each time. Within the diet I try to give her interesting things to knaw on as she can't have bones. Since she can eat salmon I give her semi-frozen salmon head (may sound awful to some but she loves them) as an alternative for her to use her teeth on and chicken carcasses as well. I give her new milk bottles to chew daily with lids and labels removed. Can't leave lids on and fill with something noisy like dried pasta etc as she loves plastic and is likely to swollow the lids.

Ahh well thats good, just angry voice :) hmm seems like your'e really trying hard to come up with more constructive things to occupy her clever mind. I can't think of any right now but if I do I shall let you know :D

I hate to say it but 'trying' to walk a high drive GSD 3 times a week is no where near enough exercise. I would say she is bored and full of energy.

My GSD definitely requires a daily walk and mental stimulation or she will take it upon herself to provide her own entertainment!

I hate to say it but 'trying' to walk a high drive GSD 3 times a week is no where near enough exercise. I would say she is bored and full of energy.

My GSD definitely requires a daily walk and mental stimulation or she will take it upon herself to provide her own entertainment!

No argument here, but I have small kids and hubby is defence so at least I reserve the 3 days the youngest is in preschool to walk her. They can't keep up with the dog and myself otherwise I would drage them along. If hubby is home I walk her at night. Taking to providing entertainment for herself is the guts of the issue. I will not disagree.

I walk my low drive newfies twice a day.........I have owned GSD's in the past and we used to do a lot of swimming and walking with them. Why can't she have large bones.....It sounds like she need to chew and bones are great for that. We also feed almost daily bones to keep our dogs entertained.

Maybe all her food should be given in toys that will take some work for her to get to her food, be it food dispensing toys/balls or kongs. Or even some dry (if that is what you feed) in those plastic bottles.

We also have soft ropes and bottles hanging in some of our trees in the garden. my dogs love bouncing them and chew as you go. A sandpit might be a lot of fun for your dog...bury "treasures" for her to look for. to me it sounds a lot like boredom. Teething is often the reason pups start chewing, but it also become self satisfying and they continue on. Just try to find lots of things for her to do. Obedience is still the best, I do it on some of my walks and sometimes just a couple of minutes here and there.

Edited by newfsie

Thanks Newfsie, She can't have large bones as she gets the runs real bad. The vet initially thought she was EPI but I had a hunch it was food intolerance and I was right unfortunately but better then EPI.

I just checked out some hanging/tug a war toys from a link on one of the posts and it has giving me some ideas and will head off to the shops tomorrow to see what I can find.

Yeah I do patches of obedience on my walks too and I tend to go out and I make extra effort in training at home when I see she's llooking for something to do.

She'll probably keep chewing for a while yet... our youngest was about 18 months before he stopped.. and that last effort was a hole in the lino!

Good luck with her, she sounds like a handful.

Good luck ... my almost 9 year old still chews ... but he has a very extensive range of squeaky chew toys which are his favourites

Hate to mention this but some dogs are destructive all their lives, others eventually grow out of it around middle age. My first destructo dog ate her bed every night for 3 years and chewed everything else within reach, including door frames, garden tools and even aluminium plates. Even at 10 she would still chew selected items.

By the time the next destructo dog came along I had learnt a lot. The first priority is to always provide lots of things they are allowed to chew. Bones, chew sticks, beefhide, lumps of wood and lots of cheap toys that they can destroy to their heart's content. You cannot teach a chewer not to chew but you can teach them what to chew. I keep a toy basket full of stuff for the dogs and they are praised every time they go to it to select something to chew or play with. If they even look like chewing something they shouldn't the get growled at so they understand that anything other than in the toy basket is not their's. By making sure my second destruco dog always had something available to chew on, I greatly reduced the damage to other items and the dog was happier. Every puppy since has learnt to use the toy basket and we have had very little damage by any dog since.

With the wooden outdoor furniture, try "Crib Stop" from a produce store. It is made to be painted on wooden stables to stop horses chewing and cribbing on them. Most dogs hate the taste.