Mars Coat King - Which Size?

Seeking advice please. My Border Collie has a very 'boofy' coat, I have just about got the matting under control :) At the moment I am using a furminator, wide tooth comb and finishing brush. I feel I need to thin out a lot more, she has a huge mane and back end, the middle is more like a normal border, hair is very fine and soft. I also feel that it would make her more comfortable come summer if I can thin out more. I am in a small town in the tropics and no groomers for many miles, so I have to attempt this myself.

I think the Coat King may be a help to me and would appreciate any recommendation of suitable size.

I bought mine off eBay for $30, so they're not cheap! Generally, the guides they post alongside the listing say this:

Quick Buying Guide:

Coarse & Medium styles (6 - 12 blades) for prep work and thinning out undercoat

Fine styles (16 - 20 blades) for grooming soft, heavy coats

Super Fine styles (20 - 26 blades) for finishing and thick, shaggy coats (especially spaniels, setters, etc.)

Use coarse styles to comb out the undercoat - fine styles for finishing.

Some breed clubs recommend certain sizes that seem to work best for their breed.

Breed Guide:

Afgans: 20 - 26 blades

Boxers: 16 - 20 blades

Collies: 10 - 12 blades or 18 Double Wide

Golden Retrievers: 12 blades or 18 Double Wide

Giant Schnauzers: 20 blades

Schnauzers: 10 - 12 blades

Setters: 16 - 26 blades or 30 Double-Wide

Sheepdogs: 6 - 10 blades

Shepherds: 10 - 12 blades

Spaniels: 20-26 blades, upper body 8 blades, legs & skirt

Terriers: 10 - 20 blades (depending on thickness or coarseness of coat)

Wolfhounds: 10 - 12 blades or 18 Double Wide

I love my Mars Coat King. I don't use it that much these days but when I had my old boys it was fantastic and they seemed to object to it less than other tools. I could get double the coat out in half the time with a lot less stress to me and them.

Mine is I think the standard 10 blade 1. I still use it these days mostly on Piper. It is not something used all the time, I probably only use it on her twice a year just to give the coat a good strip out. I have used it on Jazz when she is blowing coat just to speed up the process with her pants and tail.

And $30 is nothing compared to paying for a groomer, the time it saves and the price of other grooming tools. I paid a lot more than that for mine when I got it as you could only get it from the lady who imported them. They are much easier to get now.

The coat king doesn't thin the coat it removes the dead coat .the same coat you remove when using a comb.brush etc etc this tool just makes it easier

The coats change through the seasons,winter then tend to bulk up & then do a coat blow around august/september with the warmer weather BUT the coat is designed for a purpose so "thinning" it will have no affect on how she deals with summer.

As long as she is brushed thoroughly regulary & all mats remove & dead coat then she will be fine.

Mats have more effect on the dogs than anything else as they hurt & pull

Thanks for the replies, I guess I meant stripping not thinning :o Anything that makes it easier for both of us is good as grooming is not her favorite passtime.

I am trying to get ready for the coat blow as it is warming up here already (26deg), the mats I deal with almost every day, it doesnt help that she swims most days.

The Mars web site suggests 18 wide for borders, but I will do some more research before deciding on size, It is good to hear what people are using on similar dogs. My they are expensive arn't they, still if they do the job they have to be worth it.

I have a size 18 coat king for my BC & I used it when he was losing his puppy coat, around his pants e.t.c they are really good but got to make sure the

coat is clean, dry & groomed before you use it otherwise it will grab at the coat & take a chunk of top coat which is not a good look :o Sonny has a huge coat

long & very thick in spots. I don't need to use the coat king these days. I do groom him daily though, maybe thats why. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks BC Crazy, have just read that the 10 original and the 18 double have the same blade spacing, starting to look like that is the one. I must admit I am terrified I will end up with a dog with bald patches :)

Thanks BC Crazy, have just read that the 10 original and the 18 double have the same blade spacing, starting to look like that is the one. I must admit I am terrified I will end up with a dog with bald patches :)

No worries.Yeah, thats what happened to me. Poor Sonny looked like the moths had been at him :o:laugh: Lucky he is not a show dog. Got to be really careful & go slowly. Comb & part the coat first seemed to work best for me.

Otherwise it will just grab the top coat & once it is gone, whoop's !! :) Good luck.

Edited by BC Crazy