Toilet Training And Puppy Pads

alli78

Bringing my new puppy home tomorrow and was planning on using puppy pads for him when he is left alone, obviously he will be regularly taken outside to toilet at all other times, but my question is will also having the pads be likely to confuse him and delay toilet training??

Even if I use newspaper my concern still is will this confuse training him to toilet outside

The ideal way to toilet train is to crate train your puppy and take them outside regularly to toilet and have no toilet area inside (newspaper or pee pads). There is no question having an inside toilet area make the tiolet training process slower.

However the reality is most people are not home all the time so they do need an inside toilet area. Also if you do not have an inside tiolet area you will need to wake up several times during the night to take your puppy out to tiolet.

As I work I have always used an inside newspaper toilet area and never had any problems toilet training.

With my older girl as a pup, I tried puppy pads & newspaper...she thought they were great fun, ripping them up, then peeing on the floor. My new pup, has been crate trained & I would never do it any other way than this. :thumbsup:

Mine was trained on the pads because he is indoors if we're not home. We ran out of pads once so we used newspaper while we waited for his pad to be sent to us. He's too cool for newspaper apparently and did his business everywhere else but on the newspaper. That week after picking him up from his puppy day care, they asked us what happened to this toileting >.< It's been pads ever since.

When we're home, we'll teach him to toilet outside. Now, we open the door, he runs out to do his business and comes running in again :D

Edited by Pomi

My puppy loves to pee on the carpet right next to the pads :laugh: . I think if you praise the puppy for going on the pads it would definitely be confusing in terms of making them feel like it's ok to go inside. If you want an inside toilet option, I would save my money and go with newspaper.

I did a combination of crate-training and putting newspaper on the laundry floor. I crated/ watched/took him to the toilet when I was home. I used newspaper on the laundry floor and left the crate open if I had to be away for an extended period (laundry child-gated off to contain him). The area of newspaper got reduced in size gradually and he was able to 'hold on' until I got home as he got older. :thumbsup: He was fully house-trained at around 5 months old. His crate is more just a bed/refuge now as he is trustworthy in the rest of the house. :)

I got worried about the pee pads as my pup loved chewing them. I figured newspaper was safer than plastic to chew ( I could be wrong though?) Good way to use up some of those free newspapers too! :laugh: Good luck with your puppy. Look forward to some piccies of your new arrival. ;)

I would say no to the puppy pads if you want the dog to pee outside, dont give them an avenue for peeing inside.

whether it be on a pad or paper. This is tough for the first week. But honestly not THAT tough.

When I got my pup I just watched him constantly when he was inside, infact I wouldnt let him be alone, which in some case required him to be leashed inside.

Pups will ussually need to pee

After a meal

and when waking up.

So I would take him outside after each of those times to the same spot and give him a couple of minutes to do his business if he didnt I'd take him away and bring him back in a bit and try again.

When he was inside I'd wathc him if he started sniffing around I'd take him outside and let him pee marking the behaviour with "toilet" and praise.

With the above I've had 2 accidents inside both number ones and honestly both were my fault when I brought the dog in after a meal absent mindedly and looking away for 30 seconds.

I would say no to the puppy pads if you want the dog to pee outside, dont give them an avenue for peeing inside.

whether it be on a pad or paper. This is tough for the first week. But honestly not THAT tough.

Ali - my guess is that it IS tough when an owner is away from home a big chunk of the day ....

Ali - my guess is that it IS tough when an owner is away from home a big chunk of the day ....

sorry diddnt mean to sound sarcastic...it wasnt my intention I was trying to say its tough but not impossible....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all we did with our puppy was take him outside every 10 minutes and then the time got longer. If he looked anxious took him out but no issues with accidents. Did it once when we first got him but never since and he is 12 months old now and a large dog at that. Lots of patience and watching his moods. If he wants to go out he goes to the sliding door and we open it and when he is done he comes back in. Good luck. Perseferecne worked with us and I thought I could never toilet train a dog but now he lives inside when we are home. He can go now for 3 hours but I try and take him out earlier if he will come.