Dna Testing To Determine A Breed

efowler

One of my foster carers who adopted a cat from us months ago has asked me this question today and I really have no idea.

I saw on Bondi Vet a few months ago someon got a xbred dog tested to see if it was a pitbull coz if it was they would put it down even though it was a lovely dog n played really well with her son...anyway

Has anyone ever had there pet DNA tested to determine its breed?

If so, where and how much, etc?

Thanks

There is a DNA test called the BITSA test which apparently determines the breed of your dog. It is from memory $150 and is a load of crap. It will come back as something like 22% Stafford, 3% Bloodhound, 5% Mexican Hairless, 1% Chihuahua, 1% Newfoundland, 68% undetermined. :D

I had it done on one of my rescues. I mainly did it because I wanted to see how they did the test, since I have some background in genetics. She came back 1/3 kelpie, 1/3 coolie and the rest 1-2% of every other breed. There wasn't any information about how many DNA markers they used, which/how many reference samples from each breed etc. so I couldn't tell how reliable it is, but those proportions are a bit weird. She does look like a kelpie but has some odd coat markings which could be from a coolie. It was $150 BITSA test from genetic technologies in Vic.

I think the real question for pitbulls would be whether a breed test would hold up if the council came after the dog, and that I don't know.

It's better for finding out what the dog isn't, than what the dog is.

I know someone who was sold a dog guaranteed purebred who quite clearly isn't, and is using the evidence to take it to small claims tribunal. In this case it's to substantiate that there is none of the claimed breed in this dog- which is plain to the eye as well.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on such a DNA test.

I work in the genetics field (involving canines) and from what I have seen it's just not possible to reliably type the breeds in a dog using the "test"or "technology" they are using.

Personally it annoys me that the major animal genetics laboratory in Australia uses old and cheap techniques and yet charges massive amounts of money... yet a cheaper service cannot be offered by other labs because they own the gene "patent" ... hopefully that law will be overturned soon... :mad

I personally wouldn't waste my money on such a DNA test.

I work in the genetics field (involving canines) and from what I have seen it's just not possible to reliably type the breeds in a dog using the "test"or "technology" they are using.

Personally it annoys me that the major animal genetics laboratory in Australia uses old and cheap techniques and yet charges massive amounts of money... yet a cheaper service cannot be offered by other labs because they own the gene "patent" ... hopefully that law will be overturned soon... :mad

MalteseLuna we seem to be in the same field :provoke: I'm your WA counterpart with the kelpies :)

I would guess that they could do good breed testing these days if they really wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Also I believe these people are the some ones that enforce the patents preventing breast cancer research, so there's something to consider too :mad

MalteseLuna we seem to be in the same field :provoke: I'm your WA counterpart with the kelpies :)

I would guess that they could do good breed testing these days if they really wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Also I believe these people are the some ones that enforce the patents preventing breast cancer research, so there's something to consider too :mad

Haha - I think I know who you might be ;) small world!

It's true - they could probably do a more reliable breed test nowadays but it wouldn't be cost effective. I'm still not super confident that it would be reliable, there are some breeds which haven't been sampled (as far as I know) ;)

Your right same deal with the breast cancer research and patenting the "genes", its so ridiculous.

Haha - I think I know who you might be ;) small world!

It's true - they could probably do a more reliable breed test nowadays but it wouldn't be cost effective. I'm still not super confident that it would be reliable, there are some breeds which haven't been sampled (as far as I know) ;)

Your right same deal with the breast cancer research and patenting the "genes", its so ridiculous.

:laugh: it is indeed a small world. :wave:

I was surprised that they even attempted to discriminate between kelpies and coolies, because as far as I know both breeds are only about 75 generations old, and coolies aren't yet an ANKC recognised breed? (I think?) :shrug:

My girl does have a light mask around her eyes tho, which could be a coolie trait, but without knowing her history we'll never know how accurate the test was (which works to their advantage, at the risk of being cynical...)

There is a new breed ID test done at ASAP with blood sample. We have tested it on one dog so far and results were 100% (on a pedigree purebred).

Next is to test it on a crossbreed with known heritage (3 generations) to see how accurate it is!

There is a new breed ID test done at ASAP with blood sample. We have tested it on one dog so far and results were 100% (on a pedigree purebred).

Next is to test it on a crossbreed with known heritage (3 generations) to see how accurate it is!

Would need to do some large scale blind tests to check reliability including both purebreds and crossbreeds (of varying generations) :)

What's the the technology/markers being used (if it can be shared) - SNPS, microsats?

I just can't believe the prices for what is a very straight forward test/assay that could be done for a fraction of the price/cost. Stupid gene patents!

I have no idea about the technicality of it all! It is fairly new and from what i know gets sent to USA for testing. Will be interesting to see if people get somewhat believable results back unlike the bitsa test....

Who / how/ where is the testing done to determine a purebred's status? Is the pedigree of a dog only determined by paperwork and not genetics? Sorry... a little off topic! :o Genuinely curious...

Who / how/ where is the testing done to determine a purebred's status? Is the pedigree of a dog only determined by paperwork and not genetics? Sorry... a little off topic! :o Genuinely curious...

I think it says on the websites of these tests that they aren't recognised by anyone, you still need papers to have a purebred pedigree dog.

It's just marketed as being for the owners' curiosity. Although one possible use I can think of is finding out if you have a breed susceptible to certain genetic problems, like ivermectin sensitivity

It is determined by parentage (paperwork) only :D There are times where parents and puppies are profiled to prove parentage (mutliple sired litters) but beyond this no genetics is used (as far as I know).

Really I don't think the "technology" is developed as yet - certainly not reliable enough nor accurate enough :) Especially when dealing with closely related breeds or very young breeds.

I think it says on the websites of these tests that they aren't recognised by anyone, you still need papers to have a purebred pedigree dog.

It's just marketed as being for the owners' curiosity. Although one possible use I can think of is finding out if you have a breed susceptible to certain genetic problems, like ivermectin sensitivity

:rofl: jinx

:rofl: jinx

Maybe we are both spending too much time on here! :rofl: